“It might be, because there are players there who cannot play three games in a row.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest from Poyet regarding tomorrow night's game against Stoke in the Capital One Cup for which he intends to make changes to the team line up.

He's talking about professional players, most of whom should be at their peak fitness levels. If any of the players cannot, for whatever reason, play for 90 minutes at a time for 3 games in a row in the space of 8 days then I would question whether or not they're really going to be an asset to the club. Don't get me wrong, I know most managers will rotate their squad for cup games to keep players 'fresh' for the important league games but I just find Poyet's statement a bit irritating.

He's most likely talking about people with previous injury concerns- Brown, Rodwell, Catts...... Although I'd be hopeful that Catts can start. Someone like Seb tends to run a lot and so gets tired, I'd like to see Gomez start.

Wes Brown played 3 games in 7 days when we played in the 2nd round against Birmingham. However we then had an international break, so maybe Poyet took the risk.

He is more than likely talking about Rodwell, and easing him back. He just completed his first 90minutes in 2 years, so perhaps a rest until next week is needed.

The latest from Poyet regarding tomorrow night's game against Stoke in the Capital One Cup for which he intends to make changes to the team line up.

He's talking about professional players, most of whom should be at their peak fitness levels. If any of the players cannot, for whatever reason, play for 90 minutes at a time for 3 games in a row in the space of 8 days then I would question whether or not they're really going to be an asset to the club. Don't get me wrong, I know most managers will rotate their squad for cup games to keep players 'fresh' for the important league games but I just find Poyet's statement a bit irritating.

Of course any player can play 90 mins 3x a week, they could probably do it with ease, but with football being so close and tight these days the difference between being 80/90% and 100% can be massive.

And so do I . Young lads unable to play 3 games in a row. What do they get paid for.
When I was their age I played Saturday, Sunday and twice midweek, at a good level too.
They get it too easy these days.

Of course any player can play 90 mins 3x a week, they could probably do it with ease, but with football being so close and tight these days the difference between being 80/90% and 100% can be massive.

Exactly this, most players can play 3 times in a week but their performance levels will drop so it's better for the team if we freshen it up whilst still putting out a side that can progress. I find it astounding that this has to be explained to someone that follows football in all honesty

Exactly this, most players can play 3 times in a week but their performance levels will drop so it's better for the team if we freshen it up whilst still putting out a side that can progress. I find it astounding that this has to be explained to someone that follows football in all honesty

Stop talking sense. It has no place on a sports message board. COYOTE OUT!

Explain how they were able to do it the sixties, seventies and eighties then.
Don't trot out the games faster now, aren't the players supposed to be fitter now.

Explain how they were able to do it the sixties, seventies and eighties then.
Don't trot out the games faster now, aren't the players supposed to be fitter now.

I wasn't born then but I would guess that squads were a lot smaller so there wasn't much choice, also every team would have to do it so neither side would really have a disadvantage.

If we lined up with the same 11 players in the 3rd game against a team who had rotated / rested players we would be at a massive disadvantage. Think of it this way, how can every single top league manager in the world be wrong but you and the OP be right?

God forbid he leaves the house.
Massive alcho Johnson ya know. What with social media being rife and footballers the object of so much attention I'm surprised you haven't seen the many, many pictures of AJ stumbling from pub to pub or the non stop reports of him missing training due to being a bit rough.
I'm sure at @Hawaygordonman will be only to happy to post the damning evidence to substantiate his comment! ;)

That's why you have a squad.............

...........................................................Pants....................................................

Jones...............................O'Shea......................Coates.......................PVA

........................................................Bridcutt.............................................

Buckley...............................Larsson.................Gomez.....................Alvarez

......................................................Wickham.................................................

Johnson, Giacch, Fletcher, Catts on the bench just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back