12 months+ of Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or doesn't like tediously dull, turgid football.

It's no worse than anything under Bruce in his last nine or ten months here, no worse than most of O'Neill's tenure and is certainly better than the Di Canio spell (barring two games).

It's no worse than anything under Bruce in his last nine or ten months here, no worse than most of O'Neill's tenure and is certainly better than the Di Canio spell (barring two games).

Yep, fewer defeats, no massive barren runs etc. Call Poyets football negative but it 5 x better to watch than the end of MoNs tenure, what the feck was going on there?

and I thought this morning of some of the achievements in that time.
1. Beat the Mags home and away in the same season.
2. Beat Man U at Old Trafford.
3. Beat Everton at Goodison
4. Took a team to Wembley for a Cup Final.
5. Beat Mourinho's Chelsea in a league game at Stamford Bridge, the only team to achieve such a feat.
6. Stayed up despite being bottom at Christmas.
7. Stayed up despite having only 1 point from first 8 games.
8. Won a Monday night game.
There have been a few disappointments along the way but they are completely outweighed by the achievements to date.
Here's hoping for a few more monkeys off our backs in the next instalment.
Thank you Gus.

You can add "took four points off the eventual champions (should have been six)" to your list as well.

It's worse than Bruce, on a par with oneill & at least Di Canio didn't set out to bore people to death. Apart from that, spot on.

What you're describing is ourselves under MON. This is no where near as bad as that.
It is. Comfortably.

I tend to think that we are still at the beginning of something special. May take another couple of seasons before we see any real progress but we are definitely heading upwards, albeit slowly.

It's worse than Bruce, on a par with oneill & at least Di Canio didn't set out to bore people to death. Apart from that, spot on.

It is. Comfortably.

Bollocks :lol:

The football under MON was the most negative I've ever seen watching the lads. It was a complete joke.

I'd like the OP to repost EXACTLY the same thread on Saturday if we get beat. We can then compare the posters and the responses ;)

Edit: I think he's doing a decent job WITH Congerton!

And what would you call it now? It's so dull its offensive.

I would call it a million times better than what we played under MON.

Gus has the style he wants to play but changing a whole clubs style doesn't just happen over night. We didn't have the players for that style and he still worked wonders, 'the great escape' as well as a cup final.

As for this season, we've spent half the time with key players out injured and having to shoehorn players here and there. Once Alvarez, Jones, Giacc, PVA get back and hopefully Rodwell gets up to speed we will see more balance and better football. It hasn't been great but I think it's harsh to criticise the football being played when we're missing so many players.

I would call it a million times better than what we played under MON.

Gus has the style he wants to play but changing a whole clubs style doesn't just happen over night. We didn't have the players for that style and he still worked wonders, 'the great escape' as well as a cup final.

As for this season, we've spent half the time with key players out injured and having to shoehorn players here and there. Once Alvarez, Jones, Giacc, PVA get back and hopefully Rodwell gets up to speed we will see more balance and better football. It hasn't been great but I think it's harsh to criticise the football being played when we're missing so many players.
All about opinions but I find it sleep inducing, setting out to keep it 0-0 and hoping to nick a goal, anybody who criticises Pulis's style of football while championing Poyets is talking bollocks, it's awful.

All about opinions but I find it sleep inducing, setting out to keep it 0-0 and hoping to nick a goal, anybody who criticises Pulis's style of football while championing Poyets is talking bollocks, it's awful.

We haven't been great i'm not denying that but I think there are good reasons for it. Again I would use what you just described there as what we were watching under MON and I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as that.

The players we had when Poyet took over probably would have actually suited Pulis more as we had a team full of cloggers who loved launching a ball up field. It could have been effective but I wouldn't want to sit and watch it personally. Remember how badly everyone slated Stoke for years? I think we're slowly bringing in the players to suit Poyet's style and like I said, changing a whole clubs' playing style doesn't happen over night but I think we're getting there, slowly.

Clearly we see it from different points though and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back