1990's rave bands live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not a bird, its not a plane, it must be Dave whos on the train.

Dinnar how they don't get more recognition for their songwriting.
I know, when it comes to writing lyrics. Scooter are certainly 'different'
Respect to the man in the ice cream van

Saw The Prodigy at Glastonbury 97. They had to stop half way through the first song (Smack my bitch up iirc) cos the people at the front were sinking in the mud.They came back on about half an hour later.

From 1992 onwards I saw-
Q-tex
Prodigy
Qfx
Terrorize
Neurotek
N- trance
Shades of rhythm
2 bad mice
Dream frequency
Dye witness
N-joi
Rhythmic state

Stimulants were involved during these gigs

QFX :cool:

Seeing Farley Jackmaster Funk with Darryl Pandy on the Arena stage was class. On singing 'Love Can't Turn Around' Darryl Pandy got about 15 lasses from the crowd to stand on stage with him. Watching this big black fellow with a head fatter than an Elephants foot lying on the floor bellowing his lungs out surrounded by a circle of screaming lasses looking down on him was truly a fantastic performance indeed.:cool:

Class tune Birdie

Last edited:
Anyone go and see any of the decent rave /techno type acts from this era?

Utah Saints, The Prodigy, Fluke, Moby, Dreadzone, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers some class gigs.

Never got to see the Shamen or Sunscreem.

Is there any similar modern producers you would reccomend?

Not really a rave band but saw Oceanic at Toffs in York, was a canny night.

Not really a rave band but saw Oceanic at Toffs in York, was a canny night.

ahh i dunno, they were a ravey dance band!
singer had a good madonna style vocal

From 1992 onwards I saw-
Q-tex
Prodigy
Qfx
Terrorize
Neurotek
N- trance
Shades of rhythm
2 bad mice
Dream frequency
Dye witness
N-joi
Rhythmic state

Stimulants were involved during these gigs

"take me" by dream frequency is a pure rush, fantastic.

"so Sweet" is pure rubbish.

Thier cover of "you make me feel mighty real" was ok...

99% of 90s 'rave' acts were pure horseshite. Garbage like Oceanic, N-Trance and New Atlantic were adopted by the emerging scratter ravers of the Blue Monkey and should have been force-fed microdots and dodgy Es.

I remember a few years ago now when Phil Hartnoll's new venture with Nick Smith - Long Range - they were advertised as playing in Independant in the town but it never happened for whatever reason. Not long after they called it a day and Phil reformed Orbital with his

Long Range were a similar electronica outfit to Orbital and made one album 'Madness and Me' - it is worth checking out -this track in particular is good:

I preferred Phil Hartnoll's 'solo' stuff with Long Range to Paul's stuff. Seen Orbital a few times, Glastonbury 95 (?) and Northumbria Uni (97) were stand outs. Prodigy a couple of times and they're a cracking live band

I preferred Phil Hartnoll's 'solo' stuff with Long Range to Paul's stuff. Seen Orbital a few times, Glastonbury 95 (?) and Northumbria Uni (97) were stand outs. Prodigy a couple of times and they're a cracking live band

I've never, ever understood the point of The Prodigy. They were a joke when they initially burst onto the scene and continued to make comedy rave tunes throughout their career. I don't know a single person who likes them either.

I've never, ever understood the point of The Prodigy. They were a joke when they initially burst onto the scene and continued to make comedy rave tunes throughout their career. I don't know a single person who likes them either.

Which 'comedy' rave tunes are you thinking of - I bet 'Charly' is one you have in mind - I'm struggling to think of any others. Charly is only regarded as a bit of a novelty by some due to the nature of the sample used. Even then it is a decent old skool track at the time.

Which 'comedy' rave tunes are you thinking of - I bet 'Charly' is one you have in mind - I'm struggling to think of any others. Charly is only regarded as a bit of a novelty by some due to the nature of the sample used. Even then it is a decent old skool track at the time.

Charly is naff, as is ruff in da jungle, but cant think of any other comedy rave.

Can't say I have listened to their output in it's entirety due to the sheer volume of music produced mainly. What solo stuff relating to Long Range do you recommend.

It was always likely that Orbital would reform due to the Orbital brand being so highly thought of.

Charly is naff, as is ruff in da jungle, but cant think of any other comedy rave.

The sample was more a piss-take of the nature of the times - similar to the 'just say no to drugs' campaign. The unpinning music was still a good hardcore track.

Most old skool from the that time hasn't aged particularly well but at the time it was highly regarded and is the basis of most dance music in it's many forms today.

The Prodigy's sound has evolved to this day - I don't know what 'comedy' tracks they have produced in about the last ten years - not your post but someone else's point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back