2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go for it Walter. I'm hopefully going to be doing a 55 mile ultra marathon in S Africa the following day, so it may be a bit of a stretch to do both!! ;)

If my knees pack up for running in the next couple of months training for a normal marathon, I may revert to just cycling and do this.......

I'm assuming you didn't do Flatlands 600kms a couple of weeks ago......?

Go for it Walter. I'm hopefully going to be doing a 55 mile ultra marathon in S Africa the following day, so it may be a bit of a stretch to do both!! ;)

If my knees pack up for running in the next couple of months training for a normal marathon, I may revert to just cycling and do this.......

I'm assuming you didn't do Flatlands 600kms a couple of weeks ago......?

Swim home, that would be an almost acceptable triathlon ;)

Nah, duffed it. Setback after setback (2 months to get a refund on a pair of shoes etc.) means I've done hardly anything of note all summer. I prefer cycling in winter anyway :lol:

I'm hoping that York - Langholm - York is being ran again this year as that was going to be my 600, but it's not up on the calendar yet. This would be my second choice mind, but can see it selling out pretty quickly. How long do I wait to see if YLY pops up...

In fact, I've just checked - York Langholm York ain't happening, but this is -

Logon or register to see this image

Same day as WCW, so it'll be this ride for me. Can't see it on Aukweb yet though.

Swim home, that would be an almost acceptable triathlon ;)

Nah, duffed it. Setback after setback (2 months to get a refund on a pair of shoes etc.) means I've done hardly anything of note all summer. I prefer cycling in winter anyway :lol:

I'm hoping that York - Langholm - York is being ran again this year as that was going to be my 600, but it's not up on the calendar yet. This would be my second choice mind, but can see it selling out pretty quickly. How long do I wait to see if YLY pops up...

In fact, I've just checked - York Langholm York ain't happening, but this is -

Same day as WCW, so it'll be this ride for me. Can't see it on Aukweb yet though.

That looks way, way nicer than WCW. I'll be tempted by that if not dong the ultra marathon........

Fit bastards, I've just done 13 miles and I'm fucked

:lol:

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about riding 100+ miles and they asked how I do it - It's easy, you just build up to it. I can genuinely remember riding from Sunderland to Shields and nearly collapsing when I got off the bike as my legs were like jelly.

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about riding 100+ miles and they asked how I do it - It's easy, you just build up to it. I can genuinely remember riding from Sunderland to Shields and nearly collapsing when I got off the bike as my legs were like jelly.

I once did Bellingham to Berwick (70/80 miles'ish) I was practically in tears at Wooller with still another 20 miles to go. To try and cut the final bit short I even cycled on the A1 for about 4/5 miles (That was scary)

I dont think the distance is that much of an issue, its the climbing thats always done me.

it's all about getting used to the distance like the learned man says.

plus it's a shite sight easier on a road bike than mtb's. I took my dad out on my spare roadie yesterday and he couldn't believe the difference.

it's all about getting used to the distance like the learned man says.

plus it's a shite sight easier on a road bike than mtb's. I took my dad out on my spare roadie yesterday and he couldn't believe the difference.
I also found that training on climbs increased my ability to do distance. My longest training ride this year was about 65 miles with hills, but the 100 ish miles I ended up doing which was flatter was a piece of piss as a result. (by comparison anyway, I was still absolutely destroyed at the end)

Popped over to Belgium this week for a continental sportive in remembrance of the Great War. The sportive went through the battlefields and past far too many cemeteries :(

Here's the route:

http://www.strava.com/activities/201173854

It included the Kemmelberg, which is 20% in places and cobbled! I loved it. It reminded me a bit of Swiss Hill in Alderley edge, but harder.

Here's the ascent

And the descent

Last edited:
Completed the C2C yesterday and feel it went pretty well.

Pleased I did at least a few hills in my training before I went to prepare myself, although I am totally knackered now to be honest.

One thing that kept me going throughout was 'BLEP 47'. Never failed to bring a smile to my face.

Did any of you see this?
http://road.cc/content/news/131558-cheshire-cyclist-sets-hour-record-70-years-age
He rides for one of our local clubs. Fast bloke - was doing 23 min 10s this summer - at 70. Wish I could do that now.

I'm going to show this to me wife (no). She reckons I should be retiring from cycling "at my age" because I don't race or its for children.....I'm 37 ffs. I reckon its because I'm starting to look at new bikes again and she'd rather me spend the money on her. :lol:

I'm going to show this to me wife (no). She reckons I should be retiring from cycling "at my age" because I don't race or its for children.....I'm 37 ffs. I reckon its because I'm starting to look at new bikes again and she'd rather me spend the money on her. :lol:

simple...just bin the wife and spend away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back