2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 x 11 = 42.7mph @ 120rpm with 23mm tyre
50 x 12 = 39.1mph

120 rpm
clear.png

Be like watching a mouse on one of those wheel thingies..
clear.png

Whey, I wasn't far off. :) Sensible cassettes are the future.

Al, is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Genesis Flyer as a first fixie?

Dunno really. I just had a look at it and it strikes me as a solid commuter with heavy wheels & fat tyres. Depends what you want it for - personally I think I would want something that would give a bit more lively ride. Also for me I would want a horizontal top tube just for misty-eyed retro aesthetic reasons, but then I'm a nostalgic old fool. I'm sure it's a decent bike.

If my old fixie died and I couldn't afford a nice Condor frame I think I would build something on a Dolan FXE frame. Looks cool (particularly in matt black), can be used as a commuter, lively training bike or anything - I've seen a couple built up with deep section aero wheels & aero bars for TT too.

Whatever you do, get one. They're great and people will think you are f***ing stupid.

Dunno really. I just had a look at it and it strikes me as a solid commuter with heavy wheels & fat tyres. Depends what you want it for - personally I think I would want something that would give a bit more lively ride. Also for me I would want a horizontal top tube just for misty-eyed retro aesthetic reasons, but then I'm a nostalgic old fool. I'm sure it's a decent bike.

If my old fixie died and I couldn't afford a nice Condor frame I think I would build something on a Dolan FXE frame. Looks cool (particularly in matt black), can be used as a commuter, lively training bike or anything - I've seen a couple built up with deep section aero wheels & aero bars for TT too.

Whatever you do, get one. They're great and people will think you are f***ing stupid.
I'm sinking every day into cycling. I love how passionate you are man

With you on the horizontal tt. If I was building a bike, I'd go for a Surly Steamroller or something. But I want an off the shelf kind of thing, which I can hopefully pick up second hand.

That Dolan looks mint in the flesh, I know a lad with one, but for a full build, it's quite expensive.

I'd probably go bullhorns and TT bars like, I reckon that looks cool as owt.

Got a bit of a soft spot for this Langster (It comes with brakes, they're just not shown in the photo, but doesn't have eyelets for mudguards :-()

Logon or register to see this image

Fella on another forum has just built up a Condor Tempo

And the Genesis Flyer I was on about

Last edited:
Just had the usual e mails from Planet X
Got a really good bundle offer on at the moment...a shed load of kit/bottles/socks/tools/Chamois cream/beanies etc all for £29.99..

With you on the horizontal tt. If I was building a bike, I'd go for a Surly Steamroller or something. But I want an off the shelf kind of thing, which I can hopefully pick up second hand.

That Dolan looks mint in the flesh, I know a lad with one, but for a full build, it's quite expensive.

I'd probably go bullhorns and TT bars like, I reckon that looks cool as owt.

Got a bit of a soft spot for this Langster (It comes with brakes, they're just not shown in the photo, but doesn't have eyelets for mudguards :-()

Fella on another forum has just built up a Condor Tempo

And the Genesis Flyer I was on about

Bianchi Pista too - a right tart of a bike :)

that's astonishing value for money that. 30 benk for all that?!!!
I was looking at the socks and overshoes but they look like the thick ones that I already have. I need a new of medium ones . Tyres should be here today might fit them and go for an icy blast (The bike is really supposed to be on the turbo now for the winter)

I was looking at the socks and overshoes but they look like the thick ones that I already have. I need a new of medium ones . Tyres should be here today might fit them and go for an icy blast (The bike is really supposed to be on the turbo now for the winter)
got some sealskin mitts and the things are too frigging warm :lol:

got some sealskin mitts and the things are too frigging warm :lol:

Wait 'til the Arctic Blast that coming our way from the Eastern Seabord hits us next week! :-O

That's made me think about buying a fix even though I live on a 16% hill.....:lol:

The racks of wheels are just mindblowing. Say a grand a wheel?

@monkeytassle @Hitchin Exile

Neither of you fancy this? - http://www.bordeauxparis.com/en/

That looks really interesting. Are you planning to do it? SMB peloton!?

I'm planning on doing Santander - Lisbon at some point next May but that isn't set in stone as yet. There's also talk from one of my mates of doing a ride to Istanbul next summer, possibly setting off from the Alps straight after the Marmotte (not straight after cos I'll be completely fucked straight afterwards!!) :oops:

I'll send it round to a few mates and see if there's any interest.......

I'm planning on doing Santander - Lisbon at some point next May but that isn't set in stone as yet. There's also talk from one of my mates of doing a ride to Istanbul next summer, possibly setting off from the Alps straight after the Marmotte (not straight after cos I'll be completely fucked straight afterwards!!) :oops:

Nah, I'm not doing it. It's around exam time, so wouldn't be wise.

Might have considered it if it was ACP/BRM (As the 600 I'm currently entered into is the weekend before a Monday morning Maths exam), but I don't think it is.

How far is London to York? SMBCC do the Easter Arrow...? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back