2015 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I shall duly consider myself a double-wuss when I'm scared shitless by a mere 42° in London. :oops::oops:

just unclip and use your cleats as a brake....sure they won't mind ;)

You actually got a mention when me and @Oswald Ballbag were in Majorca the other week..
He had a mechanical just as we were about to hit the mountains( Sa Calobra etc) I think I said "that **** Hitchin will think I'm doing this on purpose to avoid climbing"

Unfortunately they came with a new hire bike for him :evil:

I'd be changing them given any of those scenarios.

That might explain the constant punctures on the front wheel then - anyone know who has the best price on Conti 4-seasons at the moment. Halfords were doing 3for2 over the summer, but looks like they are out of stock at the minute

That might explain the constant punctures on the front wheel then - anyone know who has the best price on Conti 4-seasons at the moment. Halfords were doing 3for2 over the summer, but looks like they are out of stock at the minute

riding over winter ?
If so not fancy the Hardshell gatorskins ?
If wanting ultimate puncture protection I'd consider them.

I do find them a bit skittyish in wet however

Just to clarify, Glasgow is the steepest at 45° and that seems really fecking step :lol:
Didn't know that - do you have any idea why? I think Manchester is 42.5

:lol:

I want a track bike now.
Have you got a fixie for the road yet? Just been out on mine this morning - you'll never feel more alive!!!

PS: first outing of the year for long-fingered gloves this morning. Booo

What's the SMB CC guidance on replacing road tyres? When they start to look worn, when they have no tread left and are full of nicks , when they are down to the canvas?

Usually you know when they are done when you start getting punctures. Last month I had a puncture on a 2-yr-old Michelin Pro4 and when I had a look at it it was worn right through the tread in several places - so I took that as a signal that they were ready to be changed. 2 weeks later I hit a f***ing big rock in the road and ripped the sidewall on one of the brand new buggers!!! Essentially I change them when they tell me they need changing.

riding over winter ?

I have used Michelin Pro4 sc on my winter bike for the last couple of years and I don't think I've even had a single puncture yet. After some scary experiences with Gatorskins I have taken the view that the principle requirement is grip, and if that means compromising on the odd puncture then I can live with that.

Last edited:
riding over winter ?

I've had Spesh Armadillo's until recently and switched to 4-seasons, which I've found to be a bit less stiff. I'm guessing the Gatorskins are closer to Armadillo's but I may given them a go if I start to get regular punctures. Nothing worse than being at the side of the road in the pitch black and pouring rain trying to get inner tubes switched.

Didn't know that - do you have any idea why? I think Manchester is 42.5

Have you got a fixie for the road yet? Just been out on mine this morning - you'll never feel more alive!!!

PS: first outing of the year for long-fingered gloves this morning. Booo

Usually you know when they are done when you start getting punctures. Last month I had a puncture on a 2-yr-old Michelin Pro4 and when I had a look at it it was worn right through the tread in several places - so I took that as a signal that they were ready to be changed. 2 weeks later I hit a f***ing big rock in the road and ripped the sidewall on one of the brand new buggers!!! Essentially I change them when they tell me they need changing.

I have used Michelin Pro4 sc on my winter bike for the last couple of years and I don't think I've even had a single puncture yet. After some scary experiences with Gatorskins I have taken the view that the principle requirement is grip, and if that means compromising on the odd puncture then I can live with that.
I've got conti gp4000s on the carbon and gatorskins on my winter/commuter. Very easy to lock up on the skins

I've had Spesh Armadillo's until recently and switched to 4-seasons, which I've found to be a bit less stiff. I'm guessing the Gatorskins are closer to Armadillo's but I may given them a go if I start to get regular punctures. Nothing worse than being at the side of the road in the pitch black and pouring rain trying to get inner tubes switched.
With numb fingers :)

Reactions: BBL
All this talk about winter tyres and bikes...and yet today out in lightweight jersey/bibs and bloody lovely out there :confused:

Meant to change next week however..:evil:

All this talk about winter tyres and bikes...and yet today out in lightweight jersey/bibs and bloody lovely out there :confused:

Meant to change next week however..:evil:

I'm actually looking forward to that as I want to test my new bib tights in the rain and cold. I'm not normal though

I'm actually looking forward to that as I want to test my new bib tights in the rain and cold. I'm not normal though

I do like those long winter rides when they're finished. ..don't half feel better having gone out.
Winter bike dropped off at cycleworld so when shit weather arrives I'm ready

Hope it's a few weeks yet though

It's getting cold on a morning already, this week has been a pain. Cold on a morning around 8 o clock coming home from work and warm when going in at 6/7 o clock. The temp' difference is worse this time of year when I'm doing an early day shift starting half seven and finishing at half three. I'm not riding in tonight though, I need to rush home as quickly as possible so I can max out my sleep before having to get up for the match.

I finished rebuilding the winter bike yesterday. It looks ace, but as I stood back and admired the fantastic job I had done with the new bar tape I noticed I have lined up the repeated logo (Deda) differently on the right hand side compared to the left. So now I don't know whether it's going to be possible to unwind it and rewind with the finish cut in the right place, or if I will fuck it up & swear & have to go out and buy some more, or whether no one will notice - especially once it is covered in shit. But I will know. I'm going to have to go and have a drink or two while I think about this.

I finished rebuilding the winter bike yesterday. It looks ace, but as I stood back and admired the fantastic job I had done with the new bar tape I noticed I have lined up the repeated logo (Deda) differently on the right hand side compared to the left. So now I don't know whether it's going to be possible to unwind it and rewind with the finish cut in the right place, or if I will fuck it up & swear & have to go out and buy some more, or whether no one will notice - especially once it is covered in shit. But I will know. I'm going to have to go and have a drink or two while I think about this.

OCD (Oddly Covered Deda). ;)

I've got similar to that light, its really good although be careful as it will properly dazzle oncoming traffic

Think I'm going to have to keep the cycling going at least into November or end up double my size like last year. Always seem to have freezing cold hips which are bloody hard to warm up once you're out riding.

I've got similar to that light, its really good although be careful as it will properly dazzle oncoming traffic
Had a fettle with it this afternoon and the fitting is difficult to get into a secure position where the light isn't either pointing straight ahead or at the ground. Will have to see what's it's like when I ride to work tomorrow.

OCD (Oddly Covered Deda). ;)
I just thought you would like to know that I had a good think about things over the weekend and came to the conclusion that there was no way I could be comfortable riding the bike like that, so I have just unwrapped the RH bar and re-wrapped it with the logos facing the same way as on the other side. I didn't make a bollocks of it, the bike looks great (new tape is fluoro yellow btw), and already the world seems a much better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back