2015 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this the right topic to post on anyway anyone recommend a bike to me about the 200 mark looking to get back into cycling nothing major just mainly weekend thing and the odd evening
What type of cycling do you want to do? With your budget you might be better looking at a decent 2nd hand bike.

You'd be best speaking to a local bike shop. At that price point, second hand is the way to go; speak to the bike shop, see if that's something they do.
Beat me ;)

I'd suggest going to a bike shop or even Halfords and see what you like.
If you have a friend into cycling then they could look into 2nd hand for you. Or, give us an idea of your size and what you are after,I'll have a look on gumtree.

If you go new, try not to get suspension forks, they are usually shite and just add weight.

Any questions really, ask away, plenty of people ready to offer their opinions.

Cheers mate been to halfords tonight was looking at this one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165534&productId=1115671&storeId=10001

Seems fine to me. Any alternatives?

Not really the rest in there looked a bit naff for my budget

Looks smart. Canny for the money.

Regarding the suspension forks mate so you recommend not getting a bike with them on?

What type of cycling do you want to do? With your budget you might be better looking at a decent 2nd hand bike.

Beat me ;)

Nothing major just maybe twice a week coxgreen,along the sea front to shields just basic stuff really

Regarding the suspension forks mate so you recommend not getting a bike with them on?

Nothing major just maybe twice a week coxgreen,along the sea front to shields just basic stuff really

At that price no. They won't work very well and just add weight. A steel fork and some biggish tyres will be fine. I've been up and down mountains with the same setup.

Then I'd say go for it.

Re: Forks - IMO, you need to spend at least your budget to get forks that actually work. Anything on a <3/400 quid bike will just add a weight penalty. You'll be better off with rigid forks, especially for the type of riding you look like you'll be doing.

Trek have ordered a recall of all bikes with disk brakes and QR skewers, they have said it's worldwide and anyone who has bought a bike between 2000 and 2015 with the above should visit their local dealer to have the QR Skewers changed

There's a concern that because the skewer will go past 180 degrees there is a risk of it damaging the brake rotor or worst case put you over the bars.

It's on their official twitter and reports are starting to hit the major biking sites

Risk should be minimal if you regularly check but there's always a chance and worth getting it swapped
Just reading this, what a load of bollocks :lol:

£20 says its an American who hasn't closed the QR up, set off and ended up OTB.

Convenient for Trek though - mass hysteria in regards to QR, everyone ditches and buys thru-axle bikes.

Last edited:
Trek have ordered a recall of all bikes with disk brakes and QR skewers, they have said it's worldwide and anyone who has bought a bike between 2000 and 2015 with the above should visit their local dealer to have the QR Skewers changed

There's a concern that because the skewer will go past 180 degrees there is a risk of it damaging the brake rotor or worst case put you over the bars.

It's on their official twitter and reports are starting to hit the major biking sites

Risk should be minimal if you regularly check but there's always a chance and worth getting it swapped

Just been reading it on a link on facebook

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015...t-Disc-Brakes-to-Replace-Quick-Release-Lever/

Not sure if this the right topic to post on anyway anyone recommend a bike to me about the 200 mark looking to get back into cycling nothing major just mainly weekend thing and the odd evening

Have a look at B'Twin, might be slightly above your budget but they have been getting great write ups in the bike mags

Have a look at B'Twin, might be slightly above your budget but they have been getting great write ups in the bike mags
Yep, that's Decathlons own brand.

I just weighed my current 'road' bike - 27.4lbs :lol:

Wifey in the club has just built herself a 13lb 'climbing' bike. I want one of them.

Yep. To go with her new TT bike. Have you seen how many QOMs she's got on Strava? :lol: She's class like.

Improved a lot since last year. Very good when the roads go up. Her first race of the season( Cleveland Wheelers 21) was a fantastic course record.

Slightly biased but Kristina of two seasons ago would have beaten her( Pete Read still says she's produced the best numbers of any female he's tested)

Looked like backing it up with some very quick times( long 57 25 mile on a moderate day) but injuries etc stopped her in her tracks. Not on Strava, and a good job as she's stupidly competitive

Improved a lot since last year. Very good when the roads go up. Her first race of the season( Cleveland Wheelers 21) was a fantastic course record.

Slightly biased but Kristina of two seasons ago would have beaten her( Pete Read still says she's produced the best numbers of any female he's tested)

Looked like backing it up with some very quick times( long 57 25 mile on a moderate day) but injuries etc stopped her in her tracks. Not on Strava, and a good job as she's stupidly competitive

what bike were you on today?

just seen it on strava and you were shifting....

Hit lights and fair few junctions which made tempo hr far more erratic than if I'd been on turbo.
I can then keep it very constant..
A bit leggy as well after Cox green reps yesterday.
Too nice to be in garage.

tt bike not been outside this year..
might give it a blast in the next week or two

After a bit advice, probably Al/Walter or anyone else feel free to chip in.

Wanting to re jig two of my bikes and I'm wanting to know what's compatible groupset/shifter wise etc ?

Winter bike currently 105 groupset with 53/39 10 speed. Guessing no problem with converting to a compact ?
Could I just buy chainrings( 50/34) rather than buy new crankset ?

Summer bike
Currently Ultegra 10 speed 53/39- Could I change this to one of these super compacts( 52/36) and would I again be able to just buy the chainrings only or would I need whole new crankset ?

If I've got to buy new cranksets I've seen them cheap enough, but obviously prefer to buy chain rings only.

Initial thoughts are as remaining 10 speed shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back