3-5-2 with Giaccherini on the wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not convinced by the 3-5-2, if it doesn't look better against Burnley and then Fulham then we should move on

I must have my head testing for agreeing with you but I actually do. Why is Poyet persisting with 3-5-2? It is as barmy, pointless and insane as the players that play in it. It hasn't worked so far. Why that hasn't been enough of a hint for Gus Poyet is beyond me. Shows his level of suitability as a head coach. We need a more attack minded formation like 4-3-3 or something. Some formation where we have as many attacking options as we can. And if we still can't score with THREE strikers up front then we don't deserve to be in the PL.

I was talking about this to a mate after the Fulham game, if we try to bend over backwards to find a system to suit him and then either we don't make it work or he fails to deliver then I could see this becoming an issue. I'm not saying we're a one man team and we'll only stay up or go down because of Defoe, but we could be putting a lot of eggs in one semi-experimental basket.

We haven't really played any differently to enable us to win games, Defoe was feeding off scraps against Fulham, Larsson was obsessed with spraying 40 yard ball out wide and the less said about Bridcutt and Rodwell the better.

I must have my head testing for agreeing with you but I actually do. Why is Poyet persisting with 3-5-2? It is as barmy, pointless and insane as the players that play in it. It hasn't worked so far. Why that hasn't been enough of a hint for Gus Poyet is beyond me. Shows his level of suitability as a head coach. We need a more attack minded formation like 4-3-3 or something. Some formation where we have as many attacking options as we can. And if we still can't score with THREE strikers up front then we don't deserve to be in the PL.

What do you mean by that!

Giaccherini used to play on this position with Italy. (Before he joined us :) )
Imo that would increase our attacking threat alot in our side.

Cattermole would take Bridcutts place when he is fit ofc. Maybe even play Gomez there aswell..

----------------Pantilimon-----------------
------- Vergini -- JOS -- Brown ----------
Reveillere--------------------Giaccherini
--------- Bridcutt ------ Larsson ----------
----------------- Johnson ------------------
---------- Defoe -------- Fletcher----------

Could work for the better maybe?

Giaccherini in italy formation:
https://www.google.se/search?q=3-5-...012%2F07%2Fbe-brave-and-prosper.html;671;1020
We would get hammered down whatever side u play giacc as a wing back, he cant defend

thought he played a part of the 3 in midfield?
He's played both, I'd say he would have played in the 3 man midfield more and the reason I'd like to see us play it with him on saturday.

Pants
Vergini O'Shea Brown
Jones Larsson Giacc PVA
Johnson
Defoe Wickham​

We would get hammered down whatever side u play giacc as a wing back, he cant defend
Thats why you play 3 CBs to allow the wingbacks to attack.

Giaccherini used to play on this position with Italy. (Before he joined us :) )
Imo that would increase our attacking threat alot in our side.

Cattermole would take Bridcutts place when he is fit ofc. Maybe even play Gomez there aswell..

----------------Pantilimon-----------------
------- Vergini -- JOS -- Brown ----------
Reveillere--------------------Giaccherini
--------- Bridcutt ------ Larsson ----------
----------------- Johnson ------------------
---------- Defoe -------- Fletcher----------

Could work for the better maybe?
Giaccherini for PVA in that formation? Naaaaaahhhhhhhh. In that team set up, Giaccherini can only be either 1) Johnson's backup, or 2) a late sub when chasing the game.

Yeah, he just won the "player of the tournament" in confederation cup in that position....
....and Jozy just scored for the US.....

For me we need Catts or Bridcutt sitting, with Larsson then one of Johnson, Giaccherini or Alvarez as the one given the freedom to bomb on.

I can see the merits of playing Giaccherini as a wing back but I would be very hesitant to do that right now until we build more confidence in the 3-5-2 formation. Jones and Van Aanholt as the wing backs for now. I really rate Reviellere but at 35 I doubt he would have the engine to play as a wing back so this formation may mean the end for him in terms of starting regularly once he is fit again.
I could see Giacchi as a LWB IF we had a LCB with some wheels. We don't.

Played CM or wingback for Juve
Slower league and, I presume, quicker CBs.

Aye lets just play bridcutt instead who has the job of just passing backwards to his CBs

I'm not advovating Giacc at wingback to PVA and jones. Would prefer giacc at wingback to buckley mind, as he was chod at it.
What's Bridcutt got to do with it? :eek: :lol: Buckley has the physicality and is defensively diligent but, yeah, he doesn't seem to be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back