Advocates appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for trying Dick, but a team like Sunderland is for a younger man, at your age you don't need the stress.

Really disappointed he has gone to be honest. No idea what has gone but I got the feeling he actually cared about doing well for something more than money. I still think he would have kept us up comfortably but if he has left due to football and/or non football reason then I wish him all the best. If we have pushed him I think it is a shoddy way to operate.

Top top man of the highest integrity. Let down badly by others we all still have to put up with. I am convinced he would have put us on the right road and was in the process of getting shot of the shit. I for one will not forget your efforts. Happy Retirement.

Sad to see him go - if there was someone I'd hand a 5 year contract to, no questions asked, it would have been him. Top football man and seems a really decent likeable bloke. Enjoy your retirement Dick - hope you made the right decision.

Thanks Dick you are are gent and I am sure safc will have a place in your heart
good luck and have a great retirement !

seems like a genuinely good bloke.

He has realised what Keano realised all those years back once Short arrived. Walk away, just not worth the hassle.

What I don't understand is how this club and it's fans drove him to tears, are we REALLY that passionate that we did that to him, I mean he managed Rangers when they were decent and their fans were/are pretty passsionate themselves

Gutted to see Dick go.

We've played some good football but sadly never for 90 mins. Sure he's made errors - dropping JoS instead of starting with him then and looking to introduce the others when fitter/integrated, persisting with PVA despite his abysmal form, probably swung to far into attack mode and left ourselves too open.

But he's left us with some useful players - M'Vila, Lens, Toivonen (sp?), Borini, rather than the dross that gus and mad pdc lumbered us with. Fans will always want more and better players, but Dick was obviously pushing for signings in the summer and Short responded to some extent with these.

I wish him well.

Oi Dick?

Why did you come back?
I mean thanks for last season and all that but coming back for a season and bailing out.....must have got a good wedge for a final payday eh?
Bar yesterday most of your team selections were shite and inconsistant......

Sorry dick.....my rose tinted glasses are broke and the one season shite suited you not us.

*waves with two fingers......bottling ****.

Utterly crass post - he's done the absolute opposite, i.e. walked away rather than waiting to be sacked and getting a big payout.

3 points from eight games when we had possibly the easiest start to a PL season we have ever been given is unforgivable.

Top top man of the highest integrity. Let down badly by others we all still have to put up with. I am convinced he would have put us on the right road and was in the process of getting shot of the shit. I for one will not forget your efforts. Happy Retirement.

Let himself down as well for me, got to admire him for realising it's a job too big for him.

I'm gutted. He was the best man for the job and the right man for the job but a number of things let him down:

1) He asked for 5/6 quality signings and he didn't get them. Lens, M'Vila, Borini and Toivonen all look like great buys but he needed at least two more for the defence and he didn't get them.

2) He asked for early transfer business and it didn't happen.

3) Preseason was a mess but that was in place before he got there.

4) Too many players let him down early on and they should feel ashamed of themselves.

I was at the game on Saturday and for the first 40 minutes the football was an absolute joy to behold. Match of the Day didn't do it justice at all because what I saw was easily a top half team and we could easily have been at least 4-0 up at half time. To me, that first half was exactly what Advocaat could have given us with a little more time. Lens was silly and after that the second half was always going to be a struggle but the lads still gave it their all. The first half to me was Advocaat while the second half could only ever be crisis management, especially as the referee might as well have been wearing a West Ham shirt he was so biased. In all my years (I'm 50) I've never seen such poor refereeing. I understand his reasons for going and at his age I'd probably do the same. He was the best manager we've had in many years. He knew football, he knew what was needed and he knew a good player and he really, really cared that the club did well. We won't get that again in a hurry and for the odd 'fan' who has accused him of taking a 'pay day', Short has already announced that "It is also testament to his character that he has foregone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football."

You're a real gent Dick and a class act. I for one will really miss you.

I'm gutted. He was the best man for the job and the right man for the job but a number of things let him down:

1) He asked for 5/6 quality signings and he didn't get them. Lens, M'Vila, Borini and Toivonen all look like great buys but he needed at least two more for the defence and he didn't get them.

4) Too many players let him down early on and they should feel ashamed of themselves.

I was at the game on Saturday and for the first 40 minutes the football was an absolute joy to behold. Match of the Day didn't do it justice at all because what I saw was easily a top half team and we could easily have been at least 4-0 up at half time. To me, that first half was exactly what Advocaat could have given us with a little more time. Lens was silly and after that the second half was always going to be a struggle but the lads still gave it their all. The first half to me was Advocaat while the second half could only ever be crisis management, especially as the referee might as well have been wearing a West Ham shirt he was so biased. In all my years (I'm 50) I've never seen such poor refereeing. I understand his reasons for going and at his age I'd probably do the same. He was the best manager we've had in many years. He knew football, he knew what was needed and he knew a good player and he really, really cared that the club did well. We won't get that again in a hurry and for the odd 'fan' who has accused him of taking a 'pay day', Short has already announced that "It is also testament to his character that he has foregone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football."

Never really saw that to be honest, took him far too many games to look like sorting the shit out.
Had he knew what was needed he wouldn't have gone.

I think the little tear in his eye was one of, 'I might have been able to turn this around', but he'd already made his decision.

My thoughts exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back