Affelay ban reduced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't even have been a red, despite what the telly says there is no law saying "you can't raise your hands" , it was fuck all, CG thought about going down and realised he'd look like a prick

Think this whole thing is bullshit. Footballers go on like flanges man. They need to look at the egg chasers as to how to act during a game. I don't even like rugby but they would beat 7 bells of shit out of their teammate if they went on like some footballers do, wish that aspect of the game would creep in.
Fairly sure a rugby player went as far as having fake blood prepared to cheat.

Shouldn't even have been a red, despite what the telly says there is no law saying "you can't raise your hands" , it was fuck all, CG thought about going down and realised he'd look like a prick
I honestly don't think if the ref had had a word and told the players to stop gannin on like a pair of kids anyone would have really complained, but if it was deemed 'violent conduct' then a three game ban is what it is and should have stood, think a can of worms has been opened....

Fairly sure a rugby player went as far as having fake blood prepared to cheat.
Always wondered how many times that happened in rugby before it was rumbled? The odds on it being a totally isolated incident are remote I would have thought??

I honestly don't think if the ref had had a word and told the players to stop gannin on like a pair of kids anyone would have really complained, but if it was deemed 'violent conduct' then a three game ban is what it is and should have stood, think a can of worms has been opened....

Always wondered how many times that happened in rugby before it was rumbled? The odds on it being a totally isolated incident are remote I would have thought??
It seems unlikely.
In all walks of life people are willing to cheat to gain even the smallest advantage. Baffles me that people seem to think rugby is exempt from this for some reason.

Seems like common sense has prevailed a bit to me. Should Affelay get the same length of ban as someone who properly lamps an opponent? Nope.

Judging from the opinions of some in here, how come Gardner didn't get sent off but Affelay did?

Hang on. I thought you couldn't appeal the length of the ban which is why we got a game added to turners ban? What a f***ing joke that is.

I can't see anywhere where it says they appealed the length of ban. Sounds like they just appealed the red card and the ban was reduced.

I can't see anywhere where it says they appealed the length of ban. Sounds like they just appealed the red card and the ban was reduced.
A statement on the FA Twitter account read:

“A claim by Stoke City that the standard punishment for the red card for Ibrahim Afellay was excessive has been upheld following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.

“Afellay was sent off for violent conduct against West Bromwich Albion on 29 August 2015. His suspension has been reduced from three matches to two matches with immediate effect.”

Turner:
"Turner claimed that the standard punishment is clearly excessive, but this was rejected by the commission and the defender will now receive a four-match ban—increased by one game as the commission felt the claim had no prospect of success—starting with immediate effect."

That's common sense IMO. Stoke feel the card was harsh enough to be rescinded, the FA don't but instead of being petty children and slapping another game on/dismissing them they reduce it as it was a soft card and not worthy, IMO, of a 3 game ban.

However as someone else rightly said this could be the opening of a very nasty can of worms - precedent definitely set.

That's common sense IMO. Stoke feel the card was harsh enough to be rescinded, the FA don't but instead of being petty children and slapping another game on/dismissing them they reduce it as it was a soft card and not worthy, IMO, of a 3 game ban.

However as someone else rightly said this could be the opening of a very nasty can of worms - precedent definitely set.
Nope, see above. FA are just cuñts. :lol:

A statement on the FA Twitter account read:

“A claim by Stoke City that the standard punishment for the red card for Ibrahim Afellay was excessive has been upheld following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.

“Afellay was sent off for violent conduct against West Bromwich Albion on 29 August 2015. His suspension has been reduced from three matches to two matches with immediate effect.”

IIRC our appeal against the length of ban was deemed frivolous because there was no realistic way of it being over-turned or something.

But aye, if it was just the length of ban they appealed I think the OP could be right about potentially setting a dangerous precedent.

IIRC our appeal against the length of ban was deemed frivolous because there was no realistic way of it being over-turned or something.

But aye, if it was just the length of ban they appealed I think the OP could be right about potentially setting a dangerous precedent.
Yeah looks that way. I think either some papers or fans twisted it into an admin error so they could blame Byrne again. I'm still bitter about it though :lol:

Not the best quality but it gives you an idea....
f***ing hell.
What sort of a world have we created, never mind men playing a contact sport.
If that's worth a three game ban then we may as well just pack the lot in. The diving and feigning queens deserve retrospective three game bans far far more.
To be fair to Gardner he didn't go down like a sniper victim as most do.

f***ing hell.
What sort of a world have we created, never mind men playing a contact sport.
If that's worth a three game ban then we may as well just pack the lot in. The diving and feigning queens deserve retrospective three game bans far far more.
To be fair to Gardner he didn't go down like a sniper victim as most do.
Agree, like I said if the ref had told them off for being fannies no one would have been up in arms about it, still wonder what will happen with future similar incidents when bans are handed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back