AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

I guess.

He can't be any worse there, though.

It's true though. I'd love to see some stats but I only remember him touching the ball once in the first half on Saturday.
So you'd rather play Ola, a player used to playing 'in the hole', than Rodwell? We have 4 (arguably 5 when Gomez is fit) players that can play in that role, Rodwell, Larsson, Catts and M'Vila, based on their performances this season I'd pick M'Vila and Rodwell. I understand some people might prefer Larsson and Catts but I don't see why anyone would prefer Ola.

I also think that playing with too many defensive midfielders had been part of our problem for the last three years, though. Far too much space between them and our forward line. Sitting deep is all well and good if you have the players in the positions to break with pace but we've just lumped balls up to nobody (or to players incapable of holding it up) for far too long.

W
It will be interesting to see were he starts, he had played centrally a bit during pre season. Maybe;
Defoe
Borini Johnson Lens
Rodwell M'Vila
For me he has to start when he is fit, he is probably still our best player.
Would agree with most of that. I'd bring Larsson in for Rodwell but that front 4 looks very dangerous. Never thought i'd see the day our front 4 look as good since the days of Quinn Philips Johnston and Summerbee. Exciting times ahead me thinks

I also think that playing with too many defensive midfielders had been part of our problem for the last three years, though. Far too much space between them and our forward line. Sitting deep is all well and good if you have the players in the positions to break with pace but we've just lumped balls up to nobody (or to players incapable of holding it up) for far too long.

It will obviously depend on who is in best form, but I'd like to see how this team could handle the PL if everyone is on their game (Not includign Catts as I think he needs a little time away from starting 11):

..............................Lens

.......Borini.............Ola.................AJ

.......................Seb.....M'Vila

PVA...........Kaboul.....JOS......DeA

............................Pants

If AJ is injured or heads gone at any point then Defo up front with Lens dropping to AJ's spot. From what I've read about the new lads Ola can also play up top if one of the other three fwds was injured or out of form. Borini on the left offers PVA a bit more protection with his work rate, but really the three of Lens, AJ and Borini should be quite fluid and interchangeable to pull defenders around. In an ideal world either Catts or Rodwell would partner M'Vila, but both haven't done enough so far this season to warrant a selection ATM.

Hopefully back after the international break but I can't see him getting into the team now? Great that Dick has these attracking options.

He'll walk in; far and away our best player who is likely to make something happen on the pitch.

what based on borinis stellar career stats:lol: i think he manages a goal about every 8 games and an assist about every 27:lol:

Based on Johnson not being able to play Centre Forward, no way he can take our top scorers place or our best players place.

Also based on my opinion, which counts for nothing the same as yours.....:lol:

Can't say I agree with that, like. ;)

What? I've replaced Ola with Johnson in the central attacking role, Rodwell is just there to give us some balance.

Also I try not to read too much into debut performances, both good and bad. I will give Ola a few more games before I judge him.

Spot On, I remember Bridcutts debut!

If we actually use our attacking players and go out trying to win games i think this will suit aj down to a t and he will flourish

Supersub - just like at Man City ;)
To be honest I can't think of one game where Johnson was superb and at it all game. That's not to underestimate his contribution at times but I think your comment about him being a game changing sub is just about right and Man City got it right too in looking for a team of 90 minute footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back