Allardyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's one of the most self serving and self promoting managers out there. Always making excuses too. Considering how exasperated our fans were with Bruce and how much of a precious bunch we can be, I can't believe anyone would one Allardyce for that reason alone.
It's odd, the majority of people wanting him for the job are those that are usually quickest to turn on our managers on here (not you Lonz) so even if he achieved midtable with boring cynical football which is what some are crying out for right now (kind of understandably considering what we've put up with the last three or four seasons) this would quickly not be enough (not a slight at our fans, any modern day fans are the same). So a combination of half not wanting him in the first place and a lot of those left likely to have short lived patience I think it could be a disaster.

Also, there's no such thing as a guaranteed appointment in football. Allardyce could just as easily fail to remove us from the relegation mix. His form at West Ham for the last half a season, with arguably better players than we've got was relegation form.
Football fans in general are fickle as fuck. If a team has a good season then that is seen as the new baseline and there must be improvement every year. I do see the likes of Allardyce and Pulis as as close to a "sure thing" of staying up as you can get. It might be ugly for a year or two, but I'd rather that than a risky alternative, and I think potential signings will see that too.

I think people think that there's a genius out there who can turn our fortunes around and kick us on to some dizzy heights. In reality, the whole club needs a good shake up from the bottom up and it's never just one man who is the answer. We need someone who knows what they're doing while that shit gets sorted.
The list is short and theres not much time. A shame Moyes is employed.

First signings would be Barton and Nolan and stick oshea and Brown on long contracts. Youth never given a chance. The odd African signing who's 24 going on 54. Write off the cups every year. Personality of a pea. An excuse machine. No ta.

Harsh, made some very good signings for WHU of all ages.

David Moyes would be an unreal appointment. Can't imagine it happening at all but if there was even a hint of him being interested Short would be mad to not explore it.

Football fans in general are fickle as fuck. If a team has a good season then that is seen as the new baseline and there must be improvement every year. I do see the likes of Allardyce and Pulis as as close to a "sure thing" of staying up as you can get. It might be ugly for a year or two, but I'd rather that than a risky alternative, and I think potential signings will see that too.
At least Pulis has a bit of get up and go. This **** just sits on the sidelines haunched over sucking a f***ing lemon. Ready with the excuses after the match. Just can't stick the bloke personally. The way he just totally gave up on the season with about 3 months to go was f***ing criminal anarl. Don't want him here, simple as.

Considering we've been flirting with relegation almost every year since we were promoted, I don't understand why people are saying he would be a bad appointment. What we need right now is some stability. We need someone who's experienced at keeping teams up.

Being pragmatic, it would be a disaster to go down next season with all the TV money coming in. We need a safe pair of hands to see us to mid-table.

I'm sure Short will come round to Allardyce on risk management alone

There are 17 safe spots in the PL .

4 "untouchables" - the CL elite
2 - Liverpool and Spurs have hugely expensive squads that could easily withstand a disastrous start and a change of manager - these two cannot be relegated 2 - Southampton and Swansea - many years into "projects" that are going quite nicely - very unlikely to be relegated - good luck to the pair of them.

leaving 9 teams to bump around between 9th and 17th .

Of these 9 raggedy arse survival teams , four will be managed by Pulis Pards Hughes and Allardyce FACT !

If we aren't hiring one of these survival experts then we have to pluck a manager from somewhere who then has to learn the premier league and steer us into one of only 5 available survival spaces ....

The margin for error is just too tight : we should hire Allardyce to secure our league position and make him work with the DoF to make sure all our resource don't go solely into the first XI . Plus he's still an ambitious manager : he doesn't want to get booed off after winning , he'll want to improve and imho Sunderland is the biggest job left available to him.

I can honestly say that I dont recall West Ham playing football in any worse style than I've seen most bottom half teams play, and they have had a good season.

I'm struggling to get excited about any manager to be honest, such is our merry-go-round - I'm more concerned about what is going on at board level for transfer money etc...

2 - Liverpool and Spurs have hugely expensive squads that could easily withstand a disastrous start and a change of manager - these two cannot be relegated 2 - Southampton and Swansea - many years into "projects" that are going quite nicely - very unlikely to be relegated - good luck to the pair of them.

Of these 9 raggedy arse survival teams , four will be managed by Pulis Pards Hughes and Allardyce FACT !

If we aren't hiring one of these survival experts then we have to pluck a manager from somewhere who then has to learn the premier league and steer us into one of only 5 available survival spaces ....

The margin for error is just too tight : we should hire Allardyce to secure our league position and make him work with the DoF to make sure all our resource don't go solely into the first XI . Plus he's still an ambitious manager : he doesn't want to get booed off after winning , he'll want to improve and imho Sunderland is the biggest job left available to him.
This is very accurate in my opinion.

His post match mags interview indicated he wanted a break. So he will maybe do this and then return in january when the usual round of sackings kicks in

I'm really not sure what the fuss is with BSA's style of management. We've been a shambles of a club in terms of managerial appointments in the past few years and in the season just gone we have stooped to new lows in terms of poor entertainment. 31 PL goals in 38 games and EIGHT (!!!) 0-0 draws! We should be used to BSA's pragmatic style and me for one would take some security in our league position.

That assumes of course that we actually move forwards in being able to attract better quality talent to Sunderland. Whether BSA can assist in that major issue is something I am not so sure about.

I am firmly in the Allardyce camp now and id never thought I'd say that. The appointments of PDC and Poyet totally took the piss, Dick was a one off, it's unfortunate because if there was a World Cup this summer we could contact all of the soon to be out of work managers who generally leave their post after it. There's no one of the Advocaat calibre about unfortunately. We can't be taking risks on clement like, he needs to start at somewhere like Derby or lower for his first managerial job.

Sam had a cracking start to the season and will probably guide us to a comfortable season.

He wouldn't be my preferred choice, but we could do a lot worse. Not sure about this criticism of his "style" of football mind. Advocaat had us playing direct a lot more and we looked better for it and we were all happier watching it. West ham haven't been playing hoof ball either and I would say he plays more affective football, than just saying he's a long ball merchant. Moyes would be my choice, but can't see that happening. If it was allardyce, then hopefully he can make us a side that does this look like getting relegated every season.

I just don't like the man. I don't like his style of football, I don't like him in interviews, I don't like how he always looks like someone just pissed on his chips. I hated Bruce and this fella just feels like he's out of the same mould. Can't see him coming anyway as he'd have little control over signings.

Far too sensible a post to be on here mate. Fuck off.

In all seriousness though, it's a very clear review of reality. As I see it anyway. What I WOULD like to see is some long-term "projects" like the likes of Southampton and Swansea have undertaken. You need strong foundations to build on, and I'd like to see those being built behind the scenes while Allardyce keeps us comfortably in the league. Players will take into a account what position a club is in. Can you see anyone with significant talent and ambition coming to us at the moment considering we've barely stayed up the last two years? I can't.

We also live a world of Financial Fair Play. We have some pretty onerous contracts to run down by the sounds of it (if the rumours are to be believed at least). You can't just write them off overnight and start again. The players and the clubs need paying for the transfers. It doesn't sound like there's going to be £50m+ to spend this year. We do seem to be able to cough up £12m for a player every season mind, but we've managed to spend it on complete dross up to now. Recruitment need to be sorted behind the scenes and we need to be in a stable footing in this league in a year or two's time to really kick on properly if we're going to match the likes of Southampton and Swansea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back