Are bands dead to the mainstream now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The squares reign supreme, so what you get is Sam smith, ed sheeran etc
I've heard this Sam Smith song recently that everyone seems to be jizzing over. Is this what passes for soul now? Some whining fanny wanting to lay down next to a bird. Not shag her, not make sweet love to her, just lay down next to her. It's hard to concentrate on the song for the deafening sound of Marvin Gaye spinning in his grave.

I've heard this Sam Smith song recently that everyone seems to be jizzing over. Is this what passes for soul now? Some whining fanny wanting to lay down next to a bird. Not shag her, not make sweet love to her, just lay down next to her. It's hard to concentrate on the song for the deafening sound of Marvin Gaye spinning in his grave.
It's not a bird he's talking about marra

As soon as a band start to get big, everyones turns on them and the momentum stops. Happens quite a bit.

Plus bands are more bothered what people what think of him/how they dress or come across rather than actual tunes. They lack of working class bands is mind boggling.

Sleaford Mods on them - "I think they're a pile of shit," Williamson is quoted as saying. "They're doing my pose in photos, ripping us off. We met them at Beacons festival [in Yorkshire] last year and they asked if me and Andrew [Fearn, bandmate] would be interested in writing something for the album, and I said no. They looked like a [mid-'80s jazz pop outfit] Matt Bianco sort of thing, and now they're trying to play this working class game. I think they're f***ing appalling."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/sleaford-mods/86200#Bvj47lkfCxiKRekQ.99

I do like a couple of songs by them that I've heard

Good post and more or less the same points I was trying to make to Frijj on the 'songs you skip on your playlist' thread from a couple of days ago.

And on a related note, besides blaming Frijj for all this, I blame young lasses. When aa were a lad there were very few solo lasses making records. People like Petula Clark or Dana would get a single or two off the back of Eurovision, and there were novelty shit like Melanie's Brand New Key, but the charts as I remember were mostly blokes in bands. Young lasses swooned over The Osmonds or David Cassidy, the Bay City Rolers and later Duran Duran. Now is the age of the pop tart. Music made by and for twelve year old lasses. The charts are packed with stuff from the likes of Miley Cyrus, Rhianna, Britney Spears, Nikki Minaj et al, nothing for proper blokes to get into besides deciding if they're a wad or not.
You can't blame younguns for the state of modern commercial music. Blame the record companies. They've been optimising their 'hits' formula for decades and now have it completely purified. Modern technology has assisted, but isn't the cause as it's just a tool.

You can't blame younguns for the state of modern commercial music. Blame the record companies. They've been optimising their 'hits' formula for decades and now have it completely purified. Modern technology has assisted, but isn't the cause as it's just a tool.

Well it's chicken and egg innit, supply and demand. The business is tuned as you say, to supply twelve year old lasses who are clearly the driving market force.

I remember years ago when Duran Duran were trying to shake off their girly following and reinvent themselves as an 'adult' band, thinking how few decent 'adult' bands were going at that time. Robert Palmer, Bryan Ferry, Bill Nelson, David Sylvian, Talk Talk ... the record buying demographic has generally got younger and younger, and the business has turned itself to this.

Well it's chicken and egg innit, supply and demand. The business is tuned as you say, to supply twelve year old lasses who are clearly the driving market force.

I remember years ago when Duran Duran were trying to shake off their girly following and reinvent themselves as an 'adult' band, thinking how few decent 'adult' bands were going at that time. Robert Palmer, Bryan Ferry, Bill Nelson, David Sylvian, Talk Talk ... the record buying demographic has generally got younger and younger, and the business has turned itself to this.
Is that a statistical fact? I have no idea if it's true or not.

Sleaford Mods on them - "I think they're a pile of shit," Williamson is quoted as saying. "They're doing my pose in photos, ripping us off. We met them at Beacons festival [in Yorkshire] last year and they asked if me and Andrew [Fearn, bandmate] would be interested in writing something for the album, and I said no. They looked like a [mid-'80s jazz pop outfit] Matt Bianco sort of thing, and now they're trying to play this working class game. I think they're f***ing appalling."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/sleaford-mods/86200#Bvj47lkfCxiKRekQ.99

I do like a couple of songs by them that I've heard

Tourettes and some backing music?

Quite like the one below but it has the same feel as the one above,

On another note, went to see these at the Cluny last year; decent

Last edited:
Its canny annoying being a fan of indie rock or rock at all at the moment, like at the tender age of 19 I didnt have a chance to listen to all the classic rock/indie rock bands as they emerged onto the scene, instead I have to trawl the net at places like spotify and youtube hoping that some new, half decent, bands have got themselves noticed yet because god know the radio stations wont do it for me.

If only there was a thread on here there kept people like this updated. A blog mentioned in someone's signature would be cool as fuck as well. :cool:

Theres a new undercurrent of music, its cool and almost mainstream to like bands without chart success, there is now better money for indie bands than used to be. Sick of people jumping on that bandwagon and liking any shit music played in seven.

There was a load of bands in the mainstream only about ten years ago. The likes of Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, Bloc Party. All having number 1 albums, arena tours, mainstream attention etc.....

The major labels work in cycles, and the current 'hip' clamour is for solo singer/songwriters.

There was a load of bands in the mainstream only about ten years ago. The likes of Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, Bloc Party. All having number 1 albums, arena tours, mainstream attention etc.....

The major labels work in cycles, and the current 'hip' clamour is for solo singer/songwriters.

Aye but they were all shite. I saw a picture of the Arctic Monkeys with one of them in a duffel coat and another in a Members Only jacket and that was enough for me to detest them on sight.

Isn't one of the issues here that bands, once past their early days, primarily use singles as a way to generate album sales now (and probably have done for the last 4 or 5 years)? Singles come out as 7" single (collectable but not usually creating mainstream level sales) sometimes and digital downloads but the primary aim is to get radio play, get a video online and get streamed by Spotify et al not to generate singles sales.

If you look at the current album chart, there's little interplay between it and the top end of the singles chart.

If you look at the current album chart, there's little interplay between it and the top end of the singles chart.
isnt itunes meant to be the death of the album? people cherry picking singles off albums and not getting the whole creative experience?

I know mainstream has always been 99% shite but these days no bands are making a breakthrough.
hasnt this been leveled against the uk music scene many times before? all it takes is one trail blazer to break through again and then every man and his dog will be signing up bands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back