Atheist Britain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think if you're determined to find a way to believe something or not, you'll find a way.

Not at all. I'd love to believe there's a supernatural hand which is guiding me along, and when I die I'll be reunited with all the people I've loved in my life on earth, and when my kids die they'll come and join me in this nirvana. Sadly there's not a quark of evidence to support this, so until there is I'll believe the theories which have evidence to support them.

Not at all. I'd love to believe there's a supernatural hand which is guiding me along, and when I die I'll be reunited with all the people I've loved in my life on earth, and when my kids die they'll come and join me in this nirvana. Sadly there's not a quark of evidence to support this, so until there is I'll believe the theories which are have evidence to support them.
You're obsessing about this interference lark, earlier I said god wouldn't give or save you from cancer, then I said Jesus came to help people, both perfectly reasonable comments in the context of the conversation yet you tried to pull the two.comments together as some sort of contradiction.

You're obsessing about this interference lark, earlier I said god wouldn't give or save you from cancer, then I said Jesus came to help people, both perfectly reasonable comments in the context of the conversation yet you tried to pull the two.comments together as some sort of contradiction.

I was simply trying to get your interpretation of the word 'interfere', because I don't think it tallies with what you'll find in any English dictionary. You can't have gradations of interference. You either interfere or you don't, and even if it's Jesus that does it he's still under the control of your omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God.

I was simply trying to get your interpretation of the word 'interfere', because I don't think it tallies with what you'll find in any English dictionary. You can't have gradations of interference. You either interfere or you don't, and even if it's Jesus that does it he's still under the control of your omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God.
Jesus didn't interfere with the path of humanity he simply made it easier to follow god.

Obviously that's interfering but not really unless you're desperate for that to be the case

Jesus didn't interfere with the path of humanity he simply made it easier to follow god.

Obviously that's interfering but not really unless you're desperate for that to be the case

' jesus" wouldn't even turn round if you shouted that name at him in the street , never mind you having a clue what he meant with his teachings :lol::lol:

If it helps...

Jesus was God's last big push. Sent himself to be sacrificed (in a manner of speaking) in one big final gesture, probably of impatience. Mebbys desperation given the state of Jerusalem, I don't know. Anyway after that nowt until the big curtain call at the grand finale where those who deserve it get spanked - no get out clause. That's it.

I think there was a clever fella who gave poor folk a bit of spiritual comfort in a hard situation, but the idea that came from it lit a small fire that had legs, spreading even to the Roman common soldiery. And to be totally fair as philosophies go it wasn't a bad one, made up or not.

Trouble was that the conquering power of the time just happened to be fundamentalists who had a penchant for absorbing religions and they hooked onto a good speculative stock on the rise when things were going a bit tits up. Bingo!
Even after that there were some progressives but boys will be boys and we like waving our swords in the air.

If it helps...

Jesus was God's last big push. Sent himself to be sacrificed (in a manner of speaking) in one big final gesture, probably of impatience. Mebbys desperation given the state of Jerusalem, I don't know. Anyway after that nowt until the big curtain call at the grand finale where those who deserve it get spanked - no get out clause. That's it.

I think there was a clever fella who gave poor folk a bit of spiritual comfort in a hard situation, but the idea that came from it lit a small fire that had legs, spreading even to the Roman common soldiery. And to be totally fair as philosophies go it wasn't a bad one, made up or not.

Trouble was that the conquering power of the time just happened to be fundamentalists who had a penchant for absorbing religions and they hooked onto a good speculative stock on the rise when things were going a bit tits up. Bingo!
Even after that there were some progressives but boys will be boys and we like waving our swords in the air.

I think the lesson that was surely leaned was that there should be no more lambs for the slaughter.

The irony is that the Ebionites who were the sect that formed around Jesus and his brother James, were eventually classed as heretics by the Roman Church that was based on Paul's Christianity. They had been driven out of Palestine by the Romans during the revolt of 70 AD to settle in places like Syria, Jordan, Egypt and Arabia. There they survived for hundreds of years until the main influences around Muhammad were Ebionites who had never accepted the supernatural concepts of Paul and who had been persecuted for hundreds of years. I suppose it came back to bite Christianity in the arse and you have to wonder whether Islam was the revenge of the Ebionites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back