Being a meat eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and buy meat as ethically produced when I can without going mental on cost.

I tend to have quality over quantity.

Beef and lamb tend not to make as big deal on as they are generally grazed and have a nice free range upbringing.

Tens to only buy British pork/ham/bacon ideally outdoor reared.

If I buy whole chicken then Free range and tend to get as much meat as a cheap chicken as less shrinkage..

Does it ever make you feel guilty? A lot of animals suffer and die for our food industry. It's horrendous. Things like male chicks being chucked in a blender because they wont ever lay eggs so there's no point keeping them alive. I couldnt give it up as being vegan seems like a hassle but I do feel guilty now and then. Thoughts?
animals that wouldn't even exist if it weren't for our meat eating habits

cows dont need rounding up like sheep anyway. they come in on their own when it's time. there was a program on bbc the other week where they would come in and be milked by an automated machine when they felt like it. they queued up and even went to the machine with the shortest queue. cows can count.

Where would the need to chase ever enter the natural history of domestic cattle? They eat things that, as a rule, do not move.

In terms of intelligence: they form complex social structures where herd 'leaders' are chosen for qualities like confidence and inquisitiveness, mourn their dead and are able to recognise members of their species as well as individuals from other species. They're even able to remember whether or not they like that cow/person. They can learn to operate levers and buttons to access food and solve other problems. As Phil says, they even take themselves to the milking parlours.

That said, debating which animal is more intelligent is pretty pointless.

Where would the need to chase ever enter the natural history of domestic cattle? They eat things that, as a rule, do not move.

In terms of intelligence: they form complex social structures where herd 'leaders' are chosen for qualities like confidence and inquisitiveness, mourn their dead and are able to recognise members of their species as well as individuals from other species. They're even able to remember whether or not they like that cow/person. They can learn to operate levers and buttons to access food and solve other problems. As Phil says, they even take themselves to the milking parlours.

That said, debating which animal is more intelligent is pretty pointless.
Dogs do all of that. And they also form highly empathic relationships with the most intelligent species on the planet, and can (uniquely) interpret their verbal and body language, emotional state and behaviour. And they shit where you tell them to.

Aye but only recently. I can't buy a whole chicken, but chicken breasts, no problem. Love me beef and pork though. Nom

The meat industry's shocking but I don't think there's owt wrong with eating meat.

Unfortunately I haven't got the time to rear, keep, kill, pluck and butcher a chicken so what ya garna dee?

Make sure you are aware of the provenance of what you at.

Bad example. Dogs are carnivores and not particularly nutritious to eat. In nature it is far more common for predators to eat herbivores.

Why? other cultures eat dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back