Being a meat eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does it ever make you feel guilty? A lot of animals suffer and die for our food industry. It's horrendous. Things like male chicks being chucked in a blender because they wont ever lay eggs so there's no point keeping them alive. I couldnt give it up as being vegan seems like a hassle but I do feel guilty now and then. Thoughts?
i would feel guilty if i ate meat.

Why? other cultures eat dogs.

They do but they're not nutritious. They eat them because they are common. In some cases parts of carnivore bodies are poisonous. Eating a polar bear's liver for example can be lethal.

If the original question was "would you eat your pet rabbit?" it would have been a more realistic example for the point.

I extend this question to everyone by the way.

Most people wouldnt as they have dogs as pets and consider them intelligent. I recently learnt that cows are more intelligent than dogs and are very loving gentle animals. Makes me feel awful that they die in horrific ways for the food industry. Most people would be outraged if dogs were treated this way.
I drove cattle before and I would always feel bad dropping them off but I enjoy eating meat so I can't have it both ways
As for eating dog, I'd try it,the same as I do any food from other countries if I liked it if eat it again. Obviously in the right circumstances like a foreign country

They do but they're not nutritious. They eat them because they are common. In some cases parts of carnivore bodies are poisonous. Eating a polar bear's liver for example can be lethal.

If the original question was "would you eat your pet rabbit?" it would have been a more realistic example for the point.
Eh? Why would they not be nutritious? Lean meat is lean meat, whether the animal processed other meat/offal or grass to make it.

Of course humans can't ingest more than a certain amount of vitamin A, and that tends to be stored in livers, and some mammals just have too much of it for us in theirs. Iirc huskies are one, as one polar expedition fatally found out when it lost its rations and had to start eating its dogs.

But that isn't culturally taboo in the UK. The dog example is better.

Does it ever make you feel guilty? A lot of animals suffer and die for our food industry. It's horrendous. Things like male chicks being chucked in a blender because they wont ever lay eggs so there's no point keeping them alive. I couldnt give it up as being vegan seems like a hassle but I do feel guilty now and then. Thoughts?
Nah, their fault for being so tasty.

Where would the need to chase ever enter the natural history of domestic cattle? They eat things that, as a rule, do not move.

In terms of intelligence: they form complex social structures where herd 'leaders' are chosen for qualities like confidence and inquisitiveness, mourn their dead and are able to recognise members of their species as well as individuals from other species. They're even able to remember whether or not they like that cow/person. They can learn to operate levers and buttons to access food and solve other problems. As Phil says, they even take themselves to the milking parlours.

That said, debating which animal is more intelligent is pretty pointless.

Mmmmmmmm, burgers!

Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back