Berahino and Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PeruzziWatch

This feels like one of the first times that clubs have been able to resist cashing in on star players, usually the big money clubs come knocking and that's that. But I think the TV money is changing things, clubs are less likely to want to desperately cash in while a player's stock is high. Berahino obviously is a disaster, if we had a player like him then I would rather see him go if he acts like such a prick. But at the same time, maybe he and others like him were not expecting their current clubs to be so stubborn. I think the TV money is ludicrous and I don't like how stupid the figures are getting in football, it's a joke really, but at the same time, we may start to see a better balanced and more competitive league than ever eventually, mainly because every club seems to have a decent amount of money and don't actually necessarily need to sell anymore. West Brom not accepting 25 million despite knowing the player does not want to play for them is a case in point, what a ludicrous amount for a club their size to be turning down!

And Everton are obviously serious about their top 4 ambitions if they're turning down bloody 40 million! And this is the part that will be refreshing but make it even tougher, Everton or Swansea could break the mould by pushing higher and genuinely challenging for CL spots down the line, they're certainly going in the right direction.

It begs the question, if we had a situation like we had with Henderson now, could we potentially have resisted selling him? Maybe our next big academy player will be able to stay (as long as he's happy) and not head off to a top 6 club the moment a 20 million bid comes in. The problem for us, however, is we've a lot of debt compared to other clubs, and we rarely buy players with big sell-on value, so a 20 million pound asset would probably be sold if we produced one, but perhaps with the TV money Short will start to write off a lot of debt and allow us to be like West Brom or Everton and no longer be a club that immediately sells good players when the top clubs come knocking. I think this could be troublesome for the top 6 sides because they no longer get the best players by simply flashing the cash, it may not be so easy, and therefore the league might not be so predictable any longer.

I really hope you are correct and that we start to see a more even playing field, and therefore a better competition.

However the problem now is that although both teams did not want to sell their prized assets, both players submitted transfer requests and wanted to leave. So the manager, the other players in the squad and the fans all know that their "team mate" no longer wants to play with/for them.

Yes they should be professionals and get on with their jobs but look at the state of what Berahino has now done. He may now have to sit in the reserves until Jan when he will finally get his move, and most probably at a reduced rate as the club will just want rid of him?

So in hindsight maybe it would of been best just to let him go?

This feels like one of the first times that clubs have been able to resist cashing in on star players, usually the big money clubs come knocking and that's that. But I think the TV money is changing things, clubs are less likely to want to desperately cash in while a player's stock is high. Berahino obviously is a disaster, if we had a player like him then I would rather see him go if he acts like such a prick. But at the same time, maybe he and others like him were not expecting their current clubs to be so stubborn. I think the TV money is ludicrous and I don't like how stupid the figures are getting in football, it's a joke really, but at the same time, we may start to see a better balanced and more competitive league than ever eventually, mainly because every club seems to have a decent amount of money and don't actually necessarily need to sell anymore. West Brom not accepting 25 million despite knowing the player does not want to play for them is a case in point, what a ludicrous amount for a club their size to be turning down!

And Everton are obviously serious about their top 4 ambitions if they're turning down bloody 40 million! And this is the part that will be refreshing but make it even tougher, Everton or Swansea could break the mould by pushing higher and genuinely challenging for CL spots down the line, they're certainly going in the right direction.

It begs the question, if we had a situation like we had with Henderson now, could we potentially have resisted selling him? Maybe our next big academy player will be able to stay (as long as he's happy) and not head off to a top 6 club the moment a 20 million bid comes in. The problem for us, however, is we've a lot of debt compared to other clubs, and we rarely buy players with big sell-on value, so a 20 million pound asset would probably be sold if we produced one, but perhaps with the TV money Short will start to write off a lot of debt and allow us to be like West Brom or Everton and no longer be a club that immediately sells good players when the top clubs come knocking. I think this could be troublesome for the top 6 sides because they no longer get the best players by simply flashing the cash, it may not be so easy, and therefore the league might not be so predictable any longer.

I think that it's actually more a case of long term greed. If they can hold off this year, the extra money next year will mean that they can charge twice as much as the already ridiculously over inflated fees that were on the table.

If I were Kenwright I would have snapped Romans hand off for 30mil for Stones. No way is he worth anywhere near that. I think that ship has sailed for Everton now.

Of course he isn't... But next year, with even more ridiculous money floating around...

What a bitter old twat, constantly complaining about my posts yet you rarely post anything other than abuse aimed at me, I certainly don't see much else from you, maybe try contributing something and lose the chip on your shoulder. Thanks

Potentially resisted selling henderson?

that was good business at the time but as with jones over a year earlier Steve Bruce had been trying to flog him and building him up in the press for ages. All for his next batch of signings. Pretty similar to his recent stuff at hull.

Spurs and Chelsea were well within their rights to make bids, while WBA and Everton were within their right to turn them down..
The transfer market has always been a game of brinkmanship, just the stakes are now higher.

Buyout clauses will become commonplace in England like they are in the continent soon enough if this trend continues. Footballers and their agents won't stand for being 'chained' to a club.

Not that I agree with footballers having so much power like.

I really hope you are correct and that we start to see a more even playing field, and therefore a better competition.

:lol:

Have a look at the amounts spent and then think again how far away it is from being an even playing field. I'm sure it was listed somewhere that out of the £800million+ spent in the window about 40% came from the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

:lol:

Have a look at the amounts spent and then think again how far away it is from being an even playing field. I'm sure it was listed somewhere that out of the £800million+ spent in the window about 40% came from the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

Well it has to start somewhere.

I'd never sell a player if I owned a football club, make football decisions and staying in the league always makes far more sense than selling a player for profit, if I was Pearce at West Brom I'd tell Berahino he's seeing his contract out and I'll fine him his full weeks wage for every game I think he's not arsed.

If I were Kenwright I would have snapped Romans hand off for 30mil for Stones. No way is he worth anywhere near that. I think that ship has sailed for Everton now.

Nope. He's going to be a top, top player and the prices are going to stay ludicrous. Will get a big money move next summer, probably for more.

Berahino is crap.

:lol::lol:

If he has another good season which I can't see why he won't he's a really good young player there'll be bids of £30m+ again next summer no doubt about that can see Man Utd in for him possibly continental clubs too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back