Berahino and Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it's actually more a case of long term greed. If they can hold off this year, the extra money next year will mean that they can charge twice as much as the already ridiculously over inflated fees that were on the table.

Of course he isn't... But next year, with even more ridiculous money floating around...
Do you think the money coming in is a secret?

All the clubs know all about it and those future revenue streams will be priced in to these fees already .

I think that it's actually more a case of long term greed. If they can hold off this year, the extra money next year will mean that they can charge twice as much as the already ridiculously over inflated fees that were on the table.

Of course he isn't... But next year, with even more ridiculous money floating around...
Increased tv money will make it easier for the selling club to demand a huge fee. Years ago they'd be desperate for the cash whereas now they've got Sky propping them up. Won't be long before someone in the prem will cough up 100m.

This feels like one of the first times that clubs have been able to resist cashing in on star players, usually the big money clubs come knocking and that's that. But I think the TV money is changing things, clubs are less likely to want to desperately cash in while a player's stock is high. Berahino obviously is a disaster, if we had a player like him then I would rather see him go if he acts like such a prick. But at the same time, maybe he and others like him were not expecting their current clubs to be so stubborn. I think the TV money is ludicrous and I don't like how stupid the figures are getting in football, it's a joke really, but at the same time, we may start to see a better balanced and more competitive league than ever eventually, mainly because every club seems to have a decent amount of money and don't actually necessarily need to sell anymore. West Brom not accepting 25 million despite knowing the player does not want to play for them is a case in point, what a ludicrous amount for a club their size to be turning down!

And Everton are obviously serious about their top 4 ambitions if they're turning down bloody 40 million! And this is the part that will be refreshing but make it even tougher, Everton or Swansea could break the mould by pushing higher and genuinely challenging for CL spots down the line, they're certainly going in the right direction.

It begs the question, if we had a situation like we had with Henderson now, could we potentially have resisted selling him? Maybe our next big academy player will be able to stay (as long as he's happy) and not head off to a top 6 club the moment a 20 million bid comes in. The problem for us, however, is we've a lot of debt compared to other clubs, and we rarely buy players with big sell-on value, so a 20 million pound asset would probably be sold if we produced one, but perhaps with the TV money Short will start to write off a lot of debt and allow us to be like West Brom or Everton and no longer be a club that immediately sells good players when the top clubs come knocking. I think this could be troublesome for the top 6 sides because they no longer get the best players by simply flashing the cash, it may not be so easy, and therefore the league might not be so predictable any longer.
Can you blame the lad tho he's on 16 grand a week and they are denying him the chance to earn 90 a week he may never get another chance to get a big move

West Brom really fucked up with Berahino. Seems pretty clear to me that Rondon was signed as a replacement - they gambled on a big offer or bidding war and it backfired.

Makes sense for Everton to get another season out of Stones, give him time to get more top flight games and international caps under his belt - if David Luiz is worth £50m, they could be looking at £60-80m.

I'd never sell a player if I owned a football club, make football decisions and staying in the league always makes far more sense than selling a player for profit, if I was Pearce at West Brom I'd tell Berahino he's seeing his contract out and I'll fine him his full weeks wage for every game I think he's not arsed.

This! These players,man. Throwing his toys out like a 2 year old because he can't get his own way,which is,get paid even more money. The owners of PL clubs are going to have to get together and come up with a collective draft of a contract which pays the players based on performances. It's far too one-sided at the minute in favour of the player. It also means clubs have got to do what we haven't on many an occasion....proper due diligence on who they're awarding contracts to and include penalties if they don't see their contract out.

Increased tv money will make it easier for the selling club to demand a huge fee. Years ago they'd be desperate for the cash whereas now they've got Sky propping them up. Won't be long before someone in the prem will cough up 100m.

Which is precisely my point. Why sell now if you think you can get twice the amount in 12 months?

It's a game of chance, of course, because anything could happen between now and then.

Do you think the money coming in is a secret?

All the clubs know all about it and those future revenue streams will be priced in to these fees already .

Of course it's not a secret but if you think that the prices have been factored in already, just wait until next year when the money is actually in the coffers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sid
Which is precisely my point. Why sell now if you think you can get twice the amount in 12 months?

It's a game of chance, of course, because anything could happen between now and then.

Of course it's not a secret but if you think that the prices have been factored in already, just wait until next year when the money is actually in the coffers.
We live in 2015, it doesn't work like that any more.

West Brom really fucked up with Berahino. Seems pretty clear to me that Rondon was signed as a replacement - they gambled on a big offer or bidding war and it backfired.

Makes sense for Everton to get another season out of Stones, give him time to get more top flight games and international caps under his belt - if David Luiz is worth £50m, they could be looking at £60-80m.

You could not be more wrong.

This feels like one of the first times that clubs have been able to resist cashing in on star players, usually the big money clubs come knocking and that's that. But I think the TV money is changing things, clubs are less likely to want to desperately cash in while a player's stock is high. Berahino obviously is a disaster, if we had a player like him then I would rather see him go if he acts like such a prick. But at the same time, maybe he and others like him were not expecting their current clubs to be so stubborn. I think the TV money is ludicrous and I don't like how stupid the figures are getting in football, it's a joke really, but at the same time, we may start to see a better balanced and more competitive league than ever eventually, mainly because every club seems to have a decent amount of money and don't actually necessarily need to sell anymore. West Brom not accepting 25 million despite knowing the player does not want to play for them is a case in point, what a ludicrous amount for a club their size to be turning down!

And Everton are obviously serious about their top 4 ambitions if they're turning down bloody 40 million! And this is the part that will be refreshing but make it even tougher, Everton or Swansea could break the mould by pushing higher and genuinely challenging for CL spots down the line, they're certainly going in the right direction.

It begs the question, if we had a situation like we had with Henderson now, could we potentially have resisted selling him? Maybe our next big academy player will be able to stay (as long as he's happy) and not head off to a top 6 club the moment a 20 million bid comes in. The problem for us, however, is we've a lot of debt compared to other clubs, and we rarely buy players with big sell-on value, so a 20 million pound asset would probably be sold if we produced one, but perhaps with the TV money Short will start to write off a lot of debt and allow us to be like West Brom or Everton and no longer be a club that immediately sells good players when the top clubs come knocking. I think this could be troublesome for the top 6 sides because they no longer get the best players by simply flashing the cash, it may not be so easy, and therefore the league might not be so predictable any longer.
is Coronation Street on tonight?

I already told you.

You clearly haven't, though. FFP regulates the amount of money teams can spend at present: next season's money will turn that on its head,completely. They aren't able to factor next year's money in now because the rules govern that they are not able to do so... They've simply tried to spend their absolute limit, in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back