Berlin - recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

archiesdad

Midfield
off there next weekend. any recommendations -especially some nice old style beer kellers or at least a nice area in which to hunt for them :)

There's a million and one things to do there, mate. You'll stumble upon things to do every five minutes! If history interests you I'd check out Topography of Terror, it's free and one of the more affecting museums I've been to. Built on top of SS headquarters or some such.

The Mitte area is worth spending some time in, all sorts to see, Reichstag (sp),museum island and the Brandenburg Gate are three of the main parts of that area. Loads more to see and do there as well.

Museum Island is absolutely stunning. Do the tv tower as well.

Do the Brauhaus Mitte which is near Hauptbanhof. You can get loads of info on good places from the tourist sights. Also the Berlin Wall memorial which is up in the north west of the city and the only place left that has a standing section of wall preserved exactly as it was. Also if you're looking into town from the Brandenburg Gate there's a bar on the left that does their own beer, and very nice it is too.

Brilliant place, I'd move there tomorrow.

Been meaning to gan back for ages.
Id recommend:
Have a dodge out to Potsdam. 'The Bridge Of Spies" museums reet next to the bridge where they used to do the spy exchanges during the cold war.
Eat a kebab.
See the Pergammonn.

Bundestag at night (if dark) is class... its a glass dome on the top of the german parliment... has a great history but more imporently at night has amazing views

also try the street food as its class

Finally if you like history the national museam is class... it is layed out in order of there history and you walk through.... class

Under TV tower theres a bike tour by a company called flat tyre tours, or something similar. Class crack and you get a taster for the sites you might want to spend more time on.. The bloke from Canada; Alex I think, is canny funny and the beer stop in the park for lunch is pretty good too.

The blart is absolutely unreal like. Only Rome has matched it for me. Would love to go back

There's a million and one things to do there, mate. You'll stumble upon things to do every five minutes! If history interests you I'd check out Topography of Terror, it's free and one of the more affecting museums I've been to. Built on top of SS headquarters or some such.

I went in there with a mate from Syria who has seen enough sickening shit in his home country to last a lifetime. He lasted about 10 minutes before he said he'd seen enough. Harrowing isn't the word.

Very interesting city though. Hotel Adlon has nice champagne served by very chatty and attractive waitresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back