Best Sci-Fi film of the last 20yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved district 9 and matrix
Interstellar and gravity wouldn't get in my top 20 , both a load of bollocks for me.

Basically

Interstellar - originally a Spielberg project, it still 'feels' like a Spielberg/Kubrick/Nolan film.

the plot is mint, the score is top notch, effects are peerless, and the characters and acting are class.

The only Chris Nolan film without any huge big gaping plot holes in it (everything in it was signed off by scientists and physicists) and only about 20 mins of slowed pace.

Also

Don't think anyone's mentioned 'pitch black' yet, really enjoyed that, and the sequel.

Guardians of the Galaxy is good old fashioned sci fi space opera, Loved that.

The fifth element is much the same, comic book style space action, but in a mad Jean Paul Gautier meets blade runner style.

Waterworld, now a bit of a cult classic, so bad it's good, I like it.

I think commercial disasters like waterworld and alien 3 put a lot of the studios off sci fi in the 90s, so not a lot got made.

Jurassic park is now 22 years old!

I also like waterworld..Dennis hopper is great

and it actually did break even eventually thanks to video and dvd sales!....so it was not the giant loss everybody believes...but it must have scared studios away

I also like waterworld..Dennis hopper is great

and it actually did break even eventually thanks to video and dvd sales!....so it was not the giant loss everybody believes...but it must have scared studios away

Bear in mind that breaking even on production budget is a loss because of all the marketing and distribution costs etc

Bear in mind that breaking even on production budget is a loss because of all the marketing and distribution costs etc

Never mind just read on Forbes the break even was including all related costs. The problem with Waterworld was how far over budget it went, how much Costner went off the reservation and how long everyone was shitting themselves until it broke even

I watched a canny one a few months back - can't remember the name - low budget, bunch of random people woke up somewhere, no idea how they got there, had to make their way around around a path/track/course, through buildings etc, stepped off the path they died, got lapped they died.
I've prob made it sound crap - AND I can't remember the end either - but twas canny.

I watched a canny one a few months back - can't remember the name - low budget, bunch of random people woke up somewhere, no idea how they got there, had to make their way around around a path/track/course, through buildings etc, stepped off the path they died, got lapped they died.
I've prob made it sound crap - AND I can't remember the end either - but twas canny.

To many to mention for me. I spend many an evening flicking through HD cinema sci-fi section wondering what to watch again.

Has anyone mentioned original Andromeda Strain (70's version)

Overall though some right gems are unfortunate to end up as low budget. I.e great idea, thought provoking but sadly not quite what it could of been.

Anyone can write a story about a space ship with laser guns fighting some aliens.

To many to mention for me. I spend many an evening flicking through HD cinema sci-fi section wondering what to watch again.

Has anyone mentioned original Andromeda Strain (70's version)

Overall though some right gems are unfortunate to end up as low budget. I.e great idea, thought provoking but sadly not quite what it could of been.

Anyone can write a story about a space ship with laser guns fighting some aliens.

Edit - anyone know where there is a safe version of 2010 space odesey. He cinema and shoes box only have 2001

Ha bloody spell check. HD cinema and Show Box :evil:

Last edited:

Was it Star Trek - The Voyage Home from the Pub?

I don't think there has been any classics but noteable mentions from me for...

District 9
Interstellar
Pitch Black
Star Trek
Fifth Element
Edge of Tomorrow
Prometheus
Gravity
Guardians of the Galaxy
Minority Report
Looper

Does Guardians of the Galaxy count? If yes, then that one, too... but more for the laugh factor than actual sci-fi
Watched about half an hour of it and turned in off, which I never do, think it was the first film since 'White Chicks' that I just couldn't bring myself to watch after starting it.

I'll mention A Scanner Darkly as no one else has yet, though I don't like it.
Third time it's been mentioned, mate. Didn't like it myself, either. Fell asleep at the cinema during it when I had my Boldon unlimited card.

Watched about half an hour of it and turned in off, which I never do, think it was the first film since 'White Chicks' that I just couldn't bring myself to watch after starting it.
Comic book films are the f***ing pits.

Sounds like the Long Walk which was a Stephen King short story...

Has anyone mentioned Solaris yet? I f***ing love the idea of that film and Cliff Martinez's soundtrack in the remake is just increyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think any Will Smith films have had a mention yet? The first Men In Black was canny as was 'I, Robot' and for enjoyable hokem 'Independence Day', it's a clever lad who can drive an alien spaceship without any lessons....:cool:

Contact will always reign supreme for me. First film that made me actually 'think' about a world other than our own.

Honourable mentions to:

Minority Report
Oblivion
Edge of tomorrow.

The matrix
Fifth element
Primer

Safety not guaranteed
Demolition man
Robocop

Same here. Though I kept it on for Karen Gillan, who never seemed to appear. Then I realised at the end that she had been the green monster (or was it blue, who f***ing cares).

Third time it's been mentioned, mate. Didn't like it myself, either. Fell asleep at the cinema during it when I had my Boldon unlimited card..
:eek: really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back