Boarding A Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.

19seventy3

Midfield
Reasonably what price would I be looking at to board out a loft (storage only) including labour. Including a light fitting and a ladder.

3 bed semi.

Just flooring,light and ladder?or plaster boarding roof timber aswell?

Board it youself. Ladder fittings not to hard either, plenty of youtube clips give demonstrations.

It really is not to hard, im a shiny arsed city worker and i managed to do mine in 2 days even with double thick insulation so i had to use loft legs to raise the boards.

Pay a sparks to fit the light.

I don't want to overcomplicate what generally is a simple job easy enough for a d-i-y er and..
You may need to consider what the final area will be used for. Ceiling joists used in lofts can be reduced thickness but are usually (in old money) 4X2.
Floor joists are normally 9x2.
Once had to remedy a loft conversion where the owner had installed a mini gym with a load of weightlifting equipment mid span causing deflection and failure of ceiling finishes below.
But piss easy.
Also check to see if there is any condensation in your roof space. Often it occurs and the house owner is unaware. If you do spot some you may need to ask why. Again relatively simple to remedy but just ploughing ahead may exacerbate a minor problem.
So I would always ask myself - am I increasing the loading/ do I need to increase insulation and how does the roof work in regards to being self venting

Reasonably what price would I be looking at to board out a loft (storage only) including labour. Including a light fitting and a ladder.

3 bed semi.
Got mine done last week by Access Lofts - light, ladder, 200sq.ft of flooring which covers the whole loft space and insulation laid too - all for £960.

I boarded out part of mine myself just to keep stuff up there (boxes of books, pictures and the like) and it was dead easy. Bear in mind I am not a natural DIYer and I am a pensioner so if I can do it anyone can. Unfortunately I'll have to be up there soon getting all the bloody Xmas stuff down.

It's a piece of piss, boards lock into each other like laying laminate flooring but easier
Get a decent loft ladder ( wood) and increase the loft hatch size if you can be arsed.
The bairn sleeps up there now (22 years old) so had to reinforce the beams, put a window in and electrical points.
Good sense of achievement in the end.

Worst thing I ever did,lofts full of hoarded shite now.
I was in the loft for amost 2 hours last night because it was right mess. Everytime I picked something up to hoy out the wife said "Oh no you cannot throw that out" for some sentimental reason or "you never know we might need it".

So I picked up her wedding dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back