Book thread #8686868

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by @Cockney Mackem and his fantasy literature thread, what are people currently reading and what have they read recently?

For me - currently reading 'Agent Zigzag' by Ben Macintyre. Recommended on here ages ago. True story about a war time double agent, Eddie Chapman, who was born in Burnopfield and grew up in Roker. Still early days for me but shaping up to be a quality read.

Prior to that it was "Flesh Wounds" by Chris Brookmyre (no idea why Brookmyre uses Chris for some books and Christopher for others). The thrid in his Jasmine Sharp series of Glasgow underworld/police thrillers. A good read as usual from Brookmyre, not sure it's up with his best work though.

Before that, it was Stuart Maconie's "The People's Songs" which I've posted about elsewhere and prior to that "Solo: A James Bond Novel" by William Boyd. Boyd's attempt to re-Fleming the Bond franchise/name - an entertaining thriller.

I haven't read a book for pleasure in a good few weeks. Might avoid any kind of TV/films this weekend and spend all my downtime reading something.

Have a biography of Leonardo da Vinci on the shelf I'm interested in.

He uses Chris because it fits easier on the cover of the book. Which is ironic for someone who has previously published books called "All Fun And Games Until Someone Loses An Eye" and "Attack Of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks"

Agent Zig Zag is a superb read and Eddie Chapman is a complete scoundrel (but a talented and brave one)

He uses Chris because it fits easier on the cover of the book. Which is ironic for someone who has previously published books called "All Fun And Games Until Someone Loses An Eye" and "Attack Of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks"

Agent Zig Zag is a superb read and Eddie Chapman is a complete scoundrel (but a talented and brave one)

That's the only reason - just daft, especially given previous titles, like you say. Aye, Agent Zigzag is excellent so far...

Is this a trick question to find out who's reading the Koran?

I've always got a few on the go. At the minute there's the following :

Inheritance - Chrostopher Paolini
Armageddon : The Musical - Robert Rankin
Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
The Man Who Broke Napolean's Codes - Mark Urban
The Good Beer Guide CAMRA

Inspired by @Cockney Mackem and his fantasy literature thread, what are people currently reading and what have they read recently?

For me - currently reading 'Agent Zigzag' by Ben Macintyre. Recommended on here ages ago. True story about a war time double agent, Eddie Chapman, who was born in Burnopfield and grew up in Roker. Still early days for me but shaping up to be a quality read.

Prior to that it was "Flesh Wounds" by Chris Brookmyre (no idea why Brookmyre uses Chris for some books and Christopher for others). The thrid in his Jasmine Sharp series of Glasgow underworld/police thrillers. A good read as usual from Brookmyre, not sure it's up with his best work though.

Before that, it was Stuart Maconie's "The People's Songs" which I've posted about elsewhere and prior to that "Solo: A James Bond Novel" by William Boyd. Boyd's attempt to re-Fleming the Bond franchise/name - an entertaining thriller.
Small world.

I'm currently re-reading:

Logon or register to see this image

I have an advert for the Valentino fall/winter 2014 collection.

It's obviously detected that I'm a sophisticated fashionista.
I'm being asked to save a life [a Danish one at that, I think]. As if ...

Just read Nick Davies' Dark Heart. Christ it's f***ing harrowing.

For something a bit lighter I'm re-reading Tad Williams' Otherland. A futuristic scifi/fantasy spectacle centred around virtual reality. Sort of. Tis excellent.

Been puffing my way through Robert Fisk's history of the Middle East in the 20th century, it's good but it's heavy going, really doesn't need to be as much in there as there is. Very enlightening though, in a desperately depressing sort of way.

Cormac McArthy's Child of God, almost finished. Mesmerising and stark, painfully beautiful and sad in places, thrown into contrast by the matter of fact way he considers the depravity of humanity.

I'm also a comics buff so always got some series or other on the go. Obscure Batman run from the mid nineties at present, like a mix between the Animated series and Tim Burton, it's good fun.

Just read Stoner by John Williams. It didn't disappoint.

Red House by Mark Haddon was canny. (Didn't like A Spot of Bother)

Started Matterhorn by Karl Marlanted and have A C Grayling's Meaning of Things for the bog.

Just finished Red Eagles, how the Americans acquired Migs on the quiet and flew them secretly at a hush hush base in Nevada.

Just read Stoner by John Williams. It didn't disappoint.

Red House by Mark Haddon was canny. (Didn't like A Spot of Bother)

Started Matterhorn by Karl Marlanted and have A C Grayling's Meaning of Things for the bog.

Absolutely superb book that. Requires a tough stomach mind, pretty wrenching stuff, especially given that it was written by a Veteran

So I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which is good so far. If it carries on as it is without going up a level it'll only be good not great, but I've heard very very good things.

I'll probably read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie next, but I've also got Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel in my queue and I want to try The Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson and others.

Before that I read Snuff by Terry Pratchett, devoured it in about three days. Terrific as always, although I'm starting to have to face the fact that he might not have many more books in him :( I also dipped into some old Conan stories which are great fun but basically pish

Before that Dune by Frank Herbert

Just read Simon Jordan's autobiography after a few recommendations on here.

Rattled through it but I'm sorry to say that it was utter horse chod and he came off more rather than less dislikeable than I'd thought him before starting (and I wasn't much keen on him then).

Currently reading A Concise History of the United States of America by Susan-Mary Grant.

On reading Game of Thrones at the moment.

Finished Invasion by DC Alden a couple of weeks ago.

The premise of that what if? type novel is that a super Muslim state basically after having merged Iraq, Iran, Israel, Afghanistan, Egypt, UAE,etc into one massive superstate, their supreme leader sets his sights on Europe and careful planning and small splinter cells spread through all countries arm forces, police forces, etc lead to a deadly and devastating coordinated strike across all Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back