C2C in a Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
On request of Rocktop to differentiate from the girl's 3 day C2C, this thread is for the real men (and lasses?) who are up for a repeat of the C2C in a day. Rocktop also has suggested that Manuel is up for organising this in the absence of Flav, who is off gallivanting with ladyboys (allegedly).

The logical date seems to be Saturday 10th May so that us exiles get to a home match on the day after the ride (Swansea at home, last match of the season on Sunday 11th May).

For those of you who weren't privileged enough or hard enough to take part in last year's epic, the format was to drive over to Whitehaven on the Friday afternoon (leaving the SOL @ 3pm as I recall). We stayed in a cheap, slightly strange B&B and ate in an acceptable Italian in metropolitan Whitehaven (it was mainly acceptable because of the 'wad' waitress!). We set off in the pissing rain and continued in the pissing rain for @ 6-7 hours until we crossed the border into Co. Durham where, being God's Country, the sun came out.

My Garmin registered 125 miles with 3,500 metres of climbing for the ride but we took it reasonably gently with lots of stops (some planned, some mechanical) and everyone finished together and had a pint or two in the Smugglers. It took @ 11-12 hrs from start to finish.

The ride was brilliantly supported in a van by Malcolm X & Rocktop, that we all chipped in for (plus the van that transported the bikes over on the Friday).

All in all it was a fantastic day and excellently supported and organised. If you're interested sign up below and, hopefully, Manuel, or CeeJay will step into the Flav sized breach!

Im in driving for you again this year and have the van for free, just fuel needs covering. And yea she was a massive WAD.

I've searched out my Garmin account of the day:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/312229594

The only thing that's wrong is where it says the weather 'feels like 5 degrees'. At times in the first half it was absolutely f*cking, finger-numbingly freezing, as we were all soaked to the skin in the pissing rain. :cry::cry: Big chapeau to Slackbladder who only had a pair of shorts!! :-O

On request of Rocktop to differentiate from the girl's 3 day C2C, this thread is for the real men (and lasses?) who are up for a repeat of the C2C in a day. Rocktop also has suggested that Manuel is up for organising this in the absence of Flav, who is off gallivanting with ladyboys (allegedly).

The logical date seems to be Saturday 10th May so that us exiles get to a home match on the day after the ride (Swansea at home, last match of the season on Sunday 11th May).

For those of you who weren't privileged enough or hard enough to take part in last year's epic, the format was to drive over to Whitehaven on the Friday afternoon (leaving the SOL @ 3pm as I recall). We stayed in a cheap, slightly strange B&B and ate in an acceptable Italian in metropolitan Whitehaven (it was mainly acceptable because of the 'wad' waitress!). We set off in the pissing rain and continued in the pissing rain for @ 6-7 hours until we crossed the border into Co. Durham where, being God's Country, the sun came out.

My Garmin registered 125 miles with 3,500 metres of climbing for the ride but we took it reasonably gently with lots of stops (some planned, some mechanical) and everyone finished together and had a pint or two in the Smugglers. It took @ 11-12 hrs from start to finish.

The ride was brilliantly supported in a van by Malcolm X & Rocktop, that we all chipped in for (plus the van that transported the bikes over on the Friday).

All in all it was a fantastic day and excellently supported and organised. If you're interested sign up below and, hopefully, Manuel, or CeeJay will step into the Flav sized breach!
There's no drinking involved, so I'm out.

:D You can always take the CeeJay option of going up the hard climbs in the van, claiming a mysterious mechanical that suddenly fixed itself for the descent!!! :rolleyes:;)
Ha ha, recall reading some exchanges on that subject last year! My mechanical issues are my knees!

Over next few months would be grateful for any tips on training. I would imagine a few 60-70 mile hilly days on the bike in April and May.

:D You can always take the CeeJay option of going up the hard climbs in the van, claiming a mysterious mechanical that suddenly fixed itself for the descent!!! :rolleyes:;)

and you can fuck off. . Mal will testify on oath it was properly fucked.
Anycase will train for it this year !

when you off cycling you Jammy twat ?
looks like me and wife biking girona at Easter . . can't wait

nee idea what your on about mate

[DOUBLEPOST=1388576312][/DOUBLEPOST]
If I can step my training up so I'm capable of lasting the pace I'm in. What speeds average? Do you keep together?

i think the ave was 11 mph ish- we left whitehaven at 7.30 am and arrived in sunderland at 6.50 pm iirc
yes everybody stuck together

S
If I can step my training up so I'm capable of lasting the pace I'm in. What speeds average? Do you keep together?
Speeds are on the garmin link Hitch posted. He also said in OP that they stopped to re group throughout day. I guess on some of the climbs everyone will have their own pace.

:rolleyes::lol:;)

Don't train for it mate; you were too fast as it was!!

I'm off to Spain at 5.30am tomorrow. 7 days riding in the mountains should kickstart my training and hopefully shed a bit of the lard that I've accumulated over the last month or two!! :oops:

Ha ha, recall reading some exchanges on that subject last year! My mechanical issues are my knees!

Over next few months would be grateful for any tips on training. I would imagine a few 60-70 mile hilly days on the bike in April and May.

to be honest you don't need to be doing tons etc beforehand.
my longest ride before it was only about 85 and i managed nee bother with the extra 40 or so miles. . even allowing for sadly missing crawleyside due to afforementioned mechanical

S

Speeds are on the garmin link Hitch posted. He also said in OP that they stopped to re group throughout day. I guess on some of the climbs everyone will have their own pace.

As Mal says, we mostly rode together but occasionally it fragmented into a couple of groups and, as you say, on the climbs we all went at our own pace and regrouped at the top. Luckily enough everyone on the ride last year was of a fairly similar standard and so no-one had to wait around too much, apart from because of a series of punctures in the last 20 miles.

not sure if it a good idea to do this 2 days before i head out for spring training in the Alps- i will have a word with my management team and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back