Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon most people will be done with the temples after two full days, but that's cos im a temple lover rather than enthusiast. Spot on re: pool. However I still think the town is definitely worth an afternoons wander (I really liked it).

If you take three days over the temples you'd probably end up with a free afternoon anyway. You can only get 1, 3 or 5 day passes anyway iirc.

Some fantastic restaurants in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Always wanted to see Angkor Wat and might go this summer. For anyone who has already been, how long is a good amount of time to stay for? Any decent hostels or hotels you can recommend? What else would you say is worth doing there after Angkor? Cheers in advance and, yes, look at me, bring him home, etc. ;)

Take a strong shite,mate, clean yersell out.

Cuisine is conjusive to blowing rusty water out yer knot.

Poor Pat 'emptied' into his best jeans on a Junnbuss out of Angkor.

Just warning you,marra.

Aye a couple of days around Siem Reap and Angkor is enough. Once you have been to 3 or 4 of the sites it gets a bit samey and in the heat it just fucks you off. Siem Reap is a canny town with good bars and restaurants. Good market too - for art anyway. Agree with the river boat to PP. We originally planned that but then got the bus instead - and it was a horrendous experience. Uncomfortably crammed in and shitting bricks the whole way as the driver played chicken with oncoming lorries in the middle of the road.

Stayed in a place called The Kool Hotel in Siem Reap. Shite name, cheap but nice. Though that was six years ago.
Pretty much this for me. As others have alluded to the Chinese tourists are a right pain try and avoid them. They really spoiled it for me with their constant and very loud jabbering on.

Pretty much this for me. As others have alluded to the Chinese tourists are a right pain try and avoid them. They really spoiled it for me with their constant and very loud jabbering on.

Correct Floyd, avoid them at all costs, spitting all over the gaff, middle aged bint hawked up a fcuking 'gold watch' and blew it out into a fcuking bird bath or sommit.

Fcuker was circling like a frying octopus for ten minutes.

Disgusting kernts.

I dont like tours but did have to pick my times to avoid the Chinese lot. They were all there for Sunrise but then fled straight after so I got to see Angkors main site in peace. But a a few hours later they swarmed the place. Couldnt get moved for them at the site they filmed Tomb Raider so I returned there early the next morning for that and a couple near to it.
I am not one for tours normally as well but this was definitely a good option. It was a small group, around 5 or 6 plus a guide so you did not have to clart on waiting around for people. I think the Tomb Raider temple is called Ta Prohm, the one with the trees and vines wrapped around the carvings. That's a great place but you definitely need to be there before the hordes to get a good feel for it. You need to go early or late anyway to avoid the worst of the heat as it gets toasty after 10 a.m.

3 day pass, and take plenty of US money! Don't like their own currency... If you can get down to Phnom Penh that's an experience too.

I'd say get the 3 day pass (it's double one day so an extra day is free anyway). I found cambodia a horrible country. Corrupt from top to bottom. Phnong penh has s21 and the killing fields. Harrowing but worth seeing. Ankgor wat is not really the best temple. Bayon is better in my opinion. As others have said you do need a car or tuktuk. Even the coppers in Angkor wat try and sell you their badges and caps. I said I'd never go to cambodia again but I'm going on Saturday as my son wants to. I can recommend a 5 star hotel that I'm staying in again. $40 a night which you can get a lot cheaper places for but its true 5 star. Never experienced anything like it from the staff to the carved hardwood furniture and massive rooms. It's a $3 dollar tuktuk ride from town but worth it for the experience. As others have said the water levels are low so no boats ran when I was there. The main road is like a farm track at times (single mud track as it washed away and no one has fixed it). Buy in the capital all the charity workers are driving round in brand new SUVs. I'd say 3 days max in Siem reap and the same in phnong penh then flee (but not to pattaya -see another thread). The best thing for cambodia would be for vietnam to invade again and free the place of corruption.

I'd say get the 3 day pass (it's double one day so an extra day is free anyway). I found cambodia a horrible country. Corrupt from top to bottom. Phnong penh has s21 and the killing fields. Harrowing but worth seeing. Ankgor wat is not really the best temple. Bayon is better in my opinion. As others have said you do need a car or tuktuk. Even the coppers in Angkor wat try and sell you their badges and caps. I said I'd never go to cambodia again but I'm going on Saturday as my son wants to. I can recommend a 5 star hotel that I'm staying in again. $40 a night which you can get a lot cheaper places for but its true 5 star. Never experienced anything like it from the staff to the carved hardwood furniture and massive rooms. It's a $3 dollar tuktuk ride from town but worth it for the experience. As others have said the water levels are low so no boats ran when I was there. The main road is like a farm track at times (single mud track as it washed away and no one has fixed it). Buy in the capital all the charity workers are driving round in brand new SUVs. I'd say 3 days max in Siem reap and the same in phnong penh then flee (but not to pattaya -see another thread). The best thing for cambodia would be for vietnam to invade again and free the place of corruption.

I didnt witness any of the negative things you have mentioned mind. I do agree the Bayon is the best temple, but the sheer scale of Angkor is unbelievable, and very intimidating when you approach it before sun rise.

I didnt witness any of the negative things you have mentioned mind. I do agree the Bayon is the best temple, but the sheer scale of Angkor is unbelievable, and very intimidating when you approach it before sun rise.

Beng Mealea is the same size as Angkor Wat but mostly ruined. Hardly anyone visits and you have to climb over the walls to get around.

Didn't think Cambodia was anywhere near as bad as Thailand for people trying to scam you but it might have got worse in the last few years.

Beng Mealea is the same size as Angkor Wat but mostly ruined. Hardly anyone visits and you have to climb over the walls to get around.

Didn't think Cambodia was anywhere near as bad as Thailand for people trying to scam you but it might have got worse in the last few years.

Never had anyone attempt a scam with me in India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia.... yet they all seem to get bad press.

I was going to try Angkor but I'm not so sure now. I'll be in Vietnam next year again I'll mebbys just take the comfy flight to Hoi An/Da Nang for the food and mountain passes day trips rather than trailing through Cambodia.

I was going to try Angkor but I'm not so sure now. I'll be in Vietnam next year again I'll mebbys just take the comfy flight to Hoi An/Da Nang for the food and mountain passes day trips rather than trailing through Cambodia.

It would be an error not to go, even if you just go for a few days and fly in and out of Siem Reap from Vietnam (thats what my folks did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back