Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, even easier then.

Ah, even easier then.
I think you still have to apply, just don't have to pay from what I read yesterday. The Vietnamese UK Embassy site looks like something I made in notepad 15 years ago, like, so I could have got the wrong end of the stick.

Mate, as I get a few more things sorted I will PM you for some advice and about that hotel, etc, if that's okay? Did you go Cambodia to Vietnam, by the way?

I'm considering crossing to Vietnam. They have scrapped their VISA charges for UK residents for a year as well. It take it it's easy enough to get a bus or other land transport there? If you did it, can you suggest a few firms I can look into?
You can certainly ask anything. I've pmd the hotel name. I went from saigon to phnong phen by plane to avoid the border crossing delays by coach. I had my visa on entry, new sim and luggage collected and was in the taxi within 30 mins. Apparently the border crossing by bus can take ages depending on how many and if people are refusing to pay the $8 bribe. I them got the bus to Siem reep. It wasn't too bad considering the road is shit. You get 2 stops so you're not sat for the full 8 hours (they may say less but with the state of the road its 8 hours at present). Has vietnam suspended the visa cost for a year? I was about to pay a firm to get a letter for visa on entry.

I think you still have to apply, just don't have to pay from what I read yesterday. The Vietnamese UK Embassy site looks like something I made in notepad 15 years ago, like, so I could have got the wrong end of the stick.
Reading that link it sounds like you don't have to apply. A bit like g7 countries in thailand. If they think you have money they just let you in.

Also the other problem (which seems like it won't be now) crossing into vietnam by land you can't do visa on entry. First time I went I had a visa organised. The 2 others when I went back to see a friend I met I needed to do visa on entry so had to fly. But looks like this isn't a problem anymore.

Last edited:
Booked up today. 10 days in Tokyo, 5 in Siem Reap. Anybody recommend any food I should try in Cambodia? I'm correct in thinking you just purchase your Cambodian visa at the point of entry? Any good, non-happy ending massage places? :lol: After I've done the temples I'm going to relax at the pool for a few days, but is there anything else in particular around Siem Reap I should try and see? Cheers.

Reading that link it sounds like you don't have to apply. A bit like g7 countries in thailand. If they think you have money they just let you in.

Also the other problem (which seems like it won't be now) crossing into vietnam by land you can't do visa on entry. First time I went I had a visa organised. The 2 others when I went back to see a friend I met I needed to do visa on entry so had to fly. But looks like this isn't a problem anymore.
You don't have to apply but when I was there last time a couple of students were there without visas at the airport and meeting them later it was a real ball ache for them to get cleared. Much better to have everything done in advance.

Booked up today. 10 days in Tokyo, 5 in Siem Reap. Anybody recommend any food I should try in Cambodia? I'm correct in thinking you just purchase your Cambodian visa at the point of entry? Any good, non-happy ending massage places? :lol: After I've done the temples I'm going to relax at the pool for a few days, but is there anything else in particular around Siem Reap I should try and see? Cheers.
There's the war museum which is just broken down tanks, etc from the civil war. Worth a visit. There's also the landmine museum which is about 15 miles away. And yes it's visa on entry and if you forget your photo (or pack it in checked baggage like I did) they just scan your passport for an extra $2

You don't have to apply but when I was there last time a couple of students were there without visas at the airport and meeting them later it was a real ball ache for them to get cleared. Much better to have everything done in advance.
I'm talking about the new rules as if July 1st. Before you just needed a letter anyway from an online place for $9 then you paid the visa fee on arrival. For an extra $25 you get priority treatment including using the diplomat passport channel. Was no issues at all.

Last edited:
Aye, there's one where the women show you photos of injured puppies and stuff until you cry.
Phoar, right up my alley that.

If you want to get the best out of your trip I highly recommend getting in touch with a Brit-managed tour company called Peace of Angkor. http://www.peaceofangkor.com/
The great thing about their tours is they time them so that you get the best of the light for taking photos and they seem to have a knack of avoiding the big Chinese and Korean tour groups - once they descend on a temple you are stuffed for getting decent shots. You don't need to be a photographer to join one of their tours though, anyone is welcome. They go out to some of the remote temples as well, as far as Preah Vhear on the Thai border. They had their own guest-house when I was there (2005) which was really nice. Not sure if they still have it though.

Get the 3 day pass as you probably won't be going back, may as well make the most of it.
I'm looking to do the main Angkor site and Beng Mealea. Can you recommend me any other temples that I can check out? I've emailed that company for suggestions too. Do they actually transport you to the temples or do I need to make my own way there? Reading their site, it mentions taxis and tuk tuks!

There's the war museum which is just broken down tanks, etc from the civil war. Worth a visit. There's also the landmine museum which is about 15 miles away. And yes it's visa on entry and if you forget your photo (or pack it in checked baggage like I did) they just scan your passport for an extra $2.
By the way, mate, should I bother with Cambodian currency or just take dollars? I've read that they prefer US currency?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm looking to do the main Angkor site and Beng Mealea. Can you recommend me any other temples that I can check out? I've emailed that company for suggestions too. Do they actually transport you to the temples or do I need to make my own way there? Reading their site, it mentions taxis and tuk tuks!

By the way, mate, should I bother with Cambodian currency or just take dollars? I've read that they prefer US currency?
The main site (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm - the one in Tomb Raider & Preah Kahn) plus Beng Mealea should be plenty to keep you busy. Beng Mealea is great especially if you get their early morning when it's quiet. I haven't been beyond Beng Mealea so can't really recommend any of the more remote sites personally. I have heard that Preah Vhear is spectacular but its right on the Thai border so could be a 2 day trip to get there and back.

In terms of transport, the costs are included in the price of the tour. Most likely they will pick you up from your hotel and drop you off afterwards. they used a minibus when I did it but I suppose it depends on how many are on the tour.

Don't bother with the local currency as US$ are universally accepted. ATM's give the choice of withdrawals in US$ or Rial. You will probably end up with a bit of Rial as fractions of a dollar are not available. It is around 8,000 rial to 1 US$ so if you pay for something that is US$1.50 with US$2 you will get 4,000 rial back as change.

Here are some food ideas:
http://travel.cnn.com/cambodia-best-dishes-cambodia-food-401118
Fish amok and lime marinated beef salad are both worth a try. Not so sure about Red Tree Ants!! The food is similar to Thai but less spicy. Thai food is widely available as well as Vietnamese so you can't really go wrong for grub.

Don't forget to bring 2 passport size photos plus US$30 in cash for your tourist visa.

There's tuktuks outside the hotel or the hotel will provide you with a car and driver plus guide if you want for either half or full day. I forget the cost. And you don't need any Cambodian money. I didn't seen a cashpoint that pays out anything but dollars.

The main site (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm - the one in Tomb Raider & Preah Kahn) plus Beng Mealea should be plenty to keep you busy. Beng Mealea is great especially if you get their early morning when it's quiet. I haven't been beyond Beng Mealea so can't really recommend any of the more remote sites personally. I have heard that Preah Vhear is spectacular but its right on the Thai border so could be a 2 day trip to get there and back.

In the quote below is the itinerary they have sent me; does this sound decent for the price? Should I ask to fit anything more in? I thought it sounded pricey until I factored in the transport and the like...

Day 1 / 9th August Introduction to Angkor temples Tour:

7am start from your hotel and drive to the great temple city of Angkor Thom through the magnificent south Gate; driving directly to the Bayon temple to avoid the crowds. With the magical faced towers and atmospheric interior shrines. The Bayon is a photographic wonder and a great location for the use of wide angle and telephoto lenses. We will enter dark chambers to shoot the activity surrounding the central Buddha shrine.
We continue with a walk to the recently completed Baphuon temple, the Royal Palace complex to the elephants and Leper King Terraces; exploring walls and pristine reliefs and chambers uncovered during recent restorations. These are great places to practice wide-angle lens techniques.
We break off for lunch near by temple or in town with return to your hotel for a couple hour break if wanted (optional).

We return to Angkor in the mid afternoon for Angkor Wat Its one of the Wonders of the World and the largest Religious monument on Earth. It has magnificent architecture, vast open spaces; reflecting pools, astounding bas-reliefs and fine sculpture. We have the chance to visit the top level and the centre shrine (it is closed on Buddhist days and for other events so we may not always get up there). We remain at the Temple for Sunset; where we can see the stone turn pink by the light of the setting Sun.

Return to arrive your hotel approx 6.30pm.

Day 2 / 10th August: Angkor Jungle with Sunrise, Preah Khan & Beng Mealea

We start early: 5am for sunrise, which can be in various locations depending on your preferences. An early visit to Ta Prohm temple is necessary to avoid the crowds. We enter around 6:30 to the east to see the famous tree roots of the East Gopura. (there is restoration work at present so a few of the more famous view are not at there best) Don’t worry too much about that as we visit the center where the most spectacular tree roots are. We do have to be a bit creative for crowd avoidance; so we lead you to some amazing areas, which the big tour groups never go. Even though there are thousands here, we can be sure of getting unusual and atmospheric shots without hoards of package tourists. After this we visit Ta Nei (depend on the road condition); a small temple set down a track, secretive temple that has some stunning atmosphere with tree in temple shots.

We continue to Preah Khan, which is the second largest temple in the Angkor Group. We take in the little visited South Gate and atmospheric parts of this huge temple complex that relatively few people visit. Preah Kahn and has a maze of passages and courtyards leading to the Halls of the dancers and the north east quadrant.

We break off for lunch (not included) near by a temple and then drive over an hour to Beng Mealea temple, which set within a moat of over 1 Sq Km, cloaked in vegetation in the rainy season with huge trees growing out of the ruins. Return to arrive your hotel approx 5-6pm.

Total package for the 2 days tour above for 1 person is US$360

Included:
Private transport by A/C car for each day
Tour leading by experienced local photo guide for each day
Bottled drinking water during the tour
All entrance fees to Angkor temples and other places listed in the itinerary

Excluded:
Food and drink than above
Personal expenses, tipping and other incidentals

They are also requesting a small advance via Western Union, is this the method they used with you or did you pay cash in hand upon arrival? Cheers for the assistance, mate.

In the quote below is the itinerary they have sent me; does this sound decent for the price? Should I ask to fit anything more in? I thought it sounded pricey until I factored in the transport and the like...

They are also requesting a small advance via Western Union, is this the method they used with you or did you pay cash in hand upon arrival? Cheers for the assistance, mate.
f***ing hell! rent a tuk tuk man for a day for $30 and do it yourself - when you get pissed off with the heat and bored you can fuck off to the pub without feeling you've lost £2oo

f***ing hell! rent a tuk tuk man for a day for $30 and do it yourself - when you get pissed off with the heat and bored you can fuck off to the pub without feeling you've lost £2oo
They come highly recommended like, mate, and take you to places off the beaten track. Their tripadvisor rating is phenomenal. How did you go about doing it when you went there, did you follow a set trail or just strike it lucky?

They come highly recommended like, mate, and take you to places off the beaten track. Their tripadvisor rating is phenomenal. How did you go about doing it when you went there, did you follow a set trail or just strike it lucky?
I just cycled around where I fancied ... to be honest I find it a bit boring after a couple of hours ... initial thoughts are blimey, that's some feat, then eventually it's ... balls, more stones and reliefs, I'm off ;) I'm a philistine.

I just cycled around where I fancied ... to be honest I find it a bit boring after a couple of hours ... initial thoughts are blimey, that's some feat, then eventually it's ... balls, more stones and reliefs, I'm off ;) I'm a philistine.
You try to PM me, mate? I'll delete a message.

f***ing hell was my first thought when I reached the price.

Follow the trail they've given you with your own driver. Will seriously cost you a lot less. You can get a Tuktuk for $30 a day and a guide for the same price. Plus as flav says unless you're massively interested it gets a bit dull. On the first day I asked the driver to take me into town at lunchtime as I was bored and it was hot. So I went to pub street.

Last edited:

Wow it seems like inflation has taken hold big time at Peace of Angkor. when I did the tour (2007 I think) it was 1 day early start around 5.00 a.m. to get to Beng Mealea then the other places in the main complex of Angkor Wat - that was US$25 per head so US$50 for the 2 of us and that included transport & guide but not entrance fees as we already had our 3 day pass. We might have gotten some kind of discount as we were staying in their guest house but even so, US$360 is mental. As good as they are I would not pay that much. What I would do is pick up a pass on your first evening then go up the hill inside the complex to catch the sunset which can be spectacular. You will find loads of others doing that so you can ask around, maybe speak to a couple of guides informally to get an idea of their prices. You might also meet others who might be interested in sharing costs of a guide and tuk tuk. Then I would just cherry-pick from the itinerary of Peace of Angkor. Maybe do the main complex of Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Preah Khan in one day and then if you are still up for it try to find a tuk tuk or motorbike to take you to Beng Melea.

Wow it seems like inflation has taken hold big time at Peace of Angkor. when I did the tour (2007 I think) it was 1 day early start around 5.00 a.m. to get to Beng Mealea then the other places in the main complex of Angkor Wat - that was US$25 per head so US$50 for the 2 of us and that included transport & guide but not entrance fees as we already had our 3 day pass. We might have gotten some kind of discount as we were staying in their guest house but even so, US$360 is mental. As good as they are I would not pay that much. What I would do is pick up a pass on your first evening then go up the hill inside the complex to catch the sunset which can be spectacular. You will find loads of others doing that so you can ask around, maybe speak to a couple of guides informally to get an idea of their prices. You might also meet others who might be interested in sharing costs of a guide and tuk tuk. Then I would just cherry-pick from the itinerary of Peace of Angkor. Maybe do the main complex of Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Preah Khan in one day and then if you are still up for it try to find a tuk tuk or motorbike to take you to Beng Melea.
Unless it's got another name (and you've included it) you've missed Bayon which is probably the best of the temples

Unless it's got another name (and you've included it) you've missed Bayon which is probably the best of the temples
Yes it gets a bit confusing because some of the names are interchangeable. The Bayon is actually the central temple structure within the Angkor Thom complex which itself is part of the wider Angkor area that is often referred to as Angkor Wat, even though Angkor Wat is itself just one of the temple structures within the park. Confusing, eh?

Cheers, mate. I guess I'll just sack it off then.

Follow the trail they've given you with your own driver. Will seriously cost you a lot less. You can get a Tuktuk for $30 a day and a guide for the same price. Plus as flav says unless you're massively interested it gets a bit dull. On the first day I asked the driver to take me into town at lunchtime as I was bored and it was hot. So I went to pub street.
I reckon I'll do this myself by hiring a tuk tuk driver. Do I meet a guide at the complexes or do I need to organise one before I leave Siem Reap? If I get him in the city, does he just come along with me on the journey to wherever it is I'm going? How likely is it that I'll find a tuk tuk that will take me to Beng Mealea as the tour operator I've been speaking to says it is about an hours drive away from the city? Did you go there yourself?

On a side note, if anyone can point me towards any travel sites or whatnot that you used to help you organise your own trip I'd massively appreciate it. I know I keep going on like a bloody idiot here, but I've waited years to do this trip and want to make the most of my short time in Cambodia.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's official guides at the temple site or the hotel will organise one for you. Any tuktuk will take you to beng mealea as it means they are guarenteed longer. They will ask for extra for fuel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back