Can a fullback play equally good at right or left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codfather

Midfield
A little debate going on here to whether a good fullback can play equally well on either side. For me a good full back can adapt and play right or left hand side of the pitch. OK they may favour their stronger foot but they can adapt and use their positional skills to perform to a good standard. For e.g. A few recent names who have done it are:

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev

A little debate going on here to whether a good fullback can play equally well on either side. For me a good full back can adapt and play right or left hand side of the pitch. OK they may favour their stronger foot but they can adapt and use their positional skills to perform to a good standard. For e.g. A few recent names who have done it are:

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev

Monreal? I think you mean Azpilicueta mate

Irwin
Monreal
P.Nev

I might be wrong, mate, but wasn't Winterburn a naturally right footed footballer?

in my experience you can fill in now and then and do ok but do it for any length of time and you will get found out,
unless of course you are both footed! which not many are

I personally find it harder myself when I play left back. I can play the position and do alright but never to the same standards as i do right back. At left back ill get turned on the outside and use my right leg to try nick the ball or block the cross, leaves me unbalanced or I just don't get a touch on the ball. I'm also not as effective going forward as Ill cut inside more times than not.

Obviously a few will be able to do it to a certain standard but in my experience most are better in their natural position at full back.

Some can, most probably aren't as good on their wrong side. For us Jones, for example, is just about adequate on the right and if he was just slightly worse on the left he'd be pretty poor IMO. Brilliant two footed fullbacks would obviously be better equipped. For us the only really effective fullback that was on his " wrong" foot was Makin and he was pretty much always a right back despite being left footed ( still gave me the heebie Jeebies when he cut inside to get it on his left)

I always thought Bardo did an equally decent job on either side, as did Revelleire last season.

I remember him just running to a halt and switching feet...looked like a bit of a struggle for him. Though, that may have just been him seeing that there was no option ahead :)

I think he was a right footed left back

That is just some I can remember or can you add to the tally?

Just read on Wiki that his right foot was rarely used. Shows what I know, marra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back