Can anyone solve this maths problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4876 = 92 x 53
5394 = 93 x 58 or 62 x 87

Either way you use the 2 or the 3 twice. They are the only 2 digit combos.

is this one of those questions teachers set to get the kids thinking?

the answer is probably that it's impossible, but only accepted with the proof that has been posted above

She did the same as Muggboots and got 92 x 53 and 62 x 87 using the 2 twice. She hasn't been able to find any other way, so maybe the question is misleading and it is actually 8 numbers per question ?

Yes maybe.....I don't know, it feels like the 4 should be used somewhere so that all 8 available digits are used within the answer otherwise what was the purpose of restricting it to those specific 8 digits and saying use them once only..... hmmm maybe I'm looking too hard for something which isn't there! Do let us know the correct answer from her teacher!

Yes maybe.....I don't know, it feels like the 4 should be used somewhere so that all 8 available digits are used within the answer otherwise what was the purpose of restricting it to those specific 8 digits and saying use them once only..... hmmm maybe I'm looking too hard for something which isn't there! Do let us know the correct answer from her teacher!

Will do - I'm intrigued myself :)

Complete the following so that you create four 2 digit numbers that use the digits 2 to 9 (once and once only)
to get the following four digit answers when multiplied together :

** x ** = 4876
** x ** = 5394

Any ideas ?
53 x 92 = 4876 (all digits used 2-9)
62 x 87 = 5394 (all digits used 2 -9)

Yes I think this is how it is supposed to be but the question from the OP was worded wrongly.

So the answer is.........

OP's FAULT.

Thanks a lot ! ;)

Yes it probably was - as I say my daughter was doing it for her homework and I decided to also have a go whilst watching us not win, yet again ! The maths problem was probably more exciting that the match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back