Canada for a summer holiday

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

If we wanted to go for a couple of weeks with one week chilling out somewhere with decent weather, where should we go?

Great. Suggest west coast and tour.

Vancouver then up the fraser canyon and onwards to lake louise and banff and then across inro alberta... okanagon valley and all the fruit farms around kelowna and bavk down via calgary and back to vancouver
This mostly. Add in Hells Gate and Harrison Hot Springs and while doing the latter drop in to Kilby Historic Store for a couple of hours.
Do not do the Rocky Mountaineer train tour.
There's a canny brewery/vineyard in Kelowna (or is it Kamloops, I forget) which does an interesting tour.
If you get troubled by mossies don't go July/August
Do not go to the English Shops, they're dire.
The Noodles Booth in Chilliwack (Cottonwood Mall) is phenomenal
If you cross into US you can do the ESTA thing online or on the spot. Seattle is fine to go to but allow two or three days min.
Whistler is worth a visit.....once.

Views? Suggestions?

West Coast I know well, its the only place we ever go abroad to.

Lake Louise is unreal. It actually looks photo shopped in real life. Have you got kids?

If we wanted to go for a couple of weeks with one week chilling out somewhere with decent weather, where should we go?

I have family in Penticton in the Okanagan Valley, an hour from Kelowna and that has two nice beaches. Kelowna is a bit more lively. The weather in the Okanagan is great during the summer. And its wine country. Fly into Vancouver and have a some time around Vancouver. I would definitely recommend heading over to the Island, Victoria is a beautiful city and there's some lovely towns on the way up the coast.

Kelowna is about 5 hours drive from Vancouver, but you should be able to get a flight from YVR.

Great. Suggest west coast and tour.

Vancouver then up the fraser canyon and onwards to lake louise and banff and then across inro alberta... okanagon valley and all the fruit farms around kelowna and bavk down via calgary and back to vancouver

That's a lot of driving that mind Epps. We did Calgary, Canmore, Banff, Jasper, Penticton and Vancouver last year. It was a hard slog with the journey.

West Coast I know well, its the only place we ever go abroad to.

Lake Louise is unreal. It actually looks photo shopped in real life. Have you got kids?

I have family in Penticton in the Okanagan Valley, an hour from Kelowna and that has two nice beaches. Kelowna is a bit more lively. The weather in the Okanagan is great during the summer. And its wine country. Fly into Vancouver and have a some time around Vancouver. I would definitely recommend heading over to the Island, Victoria is a beautiful city and there's some lovely towns on the way up the coast.

Kelowna is about 5 hours drive from Vancouver, but you should be able to get a flight from YVR.
Probably cheaper Westjet from Abbotsford.

Done it a few times and its a great place. Best trip we did over a just over three week trip was:-

1) into Vancouver and stay there a few days to get over the jet-lag. Good fod, good bars.
2)pick up car and travel across to the Kootenays, the Canadian Lake District. Stay in one of the private B&B's which can be incredibly good - like having your own villa with people cooking you food;
3) travel up to Banff and stay there a few days. Get some hiking, white-water rafting and some serious eating and drinking in. Banff is a great town;
4) Head up to Lake Louise, by-pass it and detour to Moraine Lake. Stay at the Lodge there and just relax and hike in one of the most beautiful places in the world;
5) head up the Iceway to Jasper and pretend that you're in Northern Exposure for a few days as Elk run down the main street and you see the black bears all feeding at the road-sides;
6) Detour to Emerald Lake, whichhas very restricted access. Either stay at the Lodge if you can get in (we couldn't) or get one of the few day passes to let you in and hike up into the mountains;
7) Head back to Vancouver and go over to Vancouver Island for some serious drinking before returning home.

Also Calgary is a good city - depending on time you can fly into there and then head towards Banff etc.

Thanks everyone. We're thinking of going to the Women's World Cup there next summer because the women are the only England team worth following ;) plus you get to see players from Sunderland (Steph and Jill) playing superbly for England. I think the draw will be in December, so we'll know then where England are playing. Plan is to have a week just chilling, and a week watching the footie. Might even push the employment relationship envelope and put in a bid for a 3 week hols.

Thanks everyone. We're thinking of going to the Women's World Cup there next summer because the women are the only England team worth following ;) plus you get to see players from Sunderland (Steph and Jill) playing superbly for England. I think the draw will be in December, so we'll know then where England are playing. Plan is to have a week just chilling, and a week watching the footie. Might even push the employment relationship envelope and put in a bid for a 3 week hols.

Sounds good apart from the lassies playing footy.

Oh and if you're motoring in BC or Washington dont pull up on a forecourt and stand there looking like a prune waiting for them to authorise the pump - you have to go and pay first. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back