Cattermole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get slated for saying it but we need better then Cattermole in the middle of the park, the lad is a trier but he's never going to get you goals and it still worrying the amount of times he get caught with the ball and loses it...I don't mind playing the lad away from home but if we are ever going to have a better home record we need a Midfield playmaker who can get into the box and score

:lol: That's the stuff of fantasy marra. We can't even get a striker to score goals never mind a midfielder.

I thought Rodwell was bought for the creativeness and penetration?
Catts is very good at what he is asked to do, getting in the way, breaking down the attacks and leading by example in the right way. He was a liability in his discipline but he seems to have tidied that up slightly.
He's not going to give you 10 goals but neither does any of our forwards and that's their job. 1st name on the team sheet and should have the arm band too
Dunno what Rodwell was bought for but it wasn't for either of those two traits.

I'll probably get slated for saying it but we need better then Cattermole in the middle of the park, the lad is a trier but he's never going to get you goals and it still worrying the amount of times he get caught with the ball and loses it...I don't mind playing the lad away from home but if we are ever going to have a better home record we need a Midfield playmaker who can get into the box and score

He was nowhere near our best CM a few years ago, been much better since jan 14 under poyet in terms of not losing the ball and his temper.
As someone else said, ideal for away game when we need to chase after opponents, pretty poor v teams who sit back.
CM is our achillies heel still, Catts and Seb work their socks off but are limited, Gomez has some qualities but is v slow, Rodwell and Bridcutt are as poor as anything we have had in the prem era since promotion.
Desperate for some pace, height and strength and also a one like Ki who can find space, not look flustered on ball and dribble past players with ease.
If we get a ki type, and a big brutish option in as a cheap gamble from abroad or a loan, plus ditch fletch and or Graham for a good striker, we could have a good side.

He's had some very good games and been the heartbeat of the team but, that's generally with regards to staying in games, not actually being pivotal in changing a loss into a draw or draw into a win.

This is partial-tosh. If you look at our results with him in, vs our results without him, it's quite clear he's exactly what turns our losses into draws. He is a defensive midfielder though, he's not going to turn our losses in to draws, and our draws into wins. We need an attack minded midfielder of a higher quality than Rodwell or Gomez to do that. Getting rid of Catts would mean we need an attack minded midfielder, and a new defensive midfielder as good as Catts. It would be insanity.

This is partial-tosh. If you look at our results with him in, vs our results without him, it's quite clear he's exactly what turns our losses into draws. He is a defensive midfielder though, he's not going to turn our losses in to draws, and our draws into wins. We need an attack minded midfielder of a higher quality than Rodwell or Gomez to do that. Getting rid of Catts would mean we need an attack minded midfielder, and a new defensive midfielder as good as Catts. It would be insanity.
Good post

yeah the position we are in now, it would be daft to sell him, especially given what fee we would get, dont think it would be enough to get better than him.

Please bring in Dembele or someone with that sort of quality. When have we ever had someone in midfield who can pick a pass out to the strikers? Apparently there is no room to move in the wage budget, can we not increase that wage budget until January or next season and then offload players then to bring the wage bill back down? Surely you can do that and not be restrained.

I never once suggested getting rid of him, I like him but we need something else in that midfield alongside him. It's also not tosh as how many of those games did we come from behind to draw?
As I said, he's very good at helping us keep what we have, when our backs are against the wall but we need to get into that position and indeed better ones with someone who can change the angle of the ball when teams are compact in front of us.

I never once suggested getting rid of him, I like him but we need something else in that midfield alongside him. It's also not tosh as how many of those games did we come from behind to draw?
As I said, he's very good at helping us keep what we have, when our backs are against the wall but we need to get into that position and indeed better ones with someone who can change the angle of the ball when teams are compact in front of us.

agreed, its not a dig at getting rid of him, but in games like wba at home where they just sit in their own half, all catts is likely to do is lose the ball and his temper and get booked-we dont need to win the ball back in some games like this much, so at least having a more dynamic option lets us press them.

I like Lee and am glad he signed a new contract, but lets not kid ourselves here. Last season performances from him in the Southampton and Villa games were criminal. He was down there with the very worst performers on those 2 days. Shocking. Really need to see a lot of improvement from him.

It's a tricky one. When he plays well he's a terrific asset to the team. However there's always that threat of doing something daft with him. He'd be better with stronger characters around him, instead he's leading by default and he's not cut out for it.

Dare to suggest this though, and some go utterly berserk. This makes it difficult to have a proper conversation about what he brings to the team and what his shortcomings are. People simply don't want to see.

Spot on. Somehow become our "poster boy" to our fans yet never really does f***ing anything. He has his uses, but is so f***ing limited he hamstrings our team elsewhere.

We do need better. But, we need to keep ahold of him as the shite around him are even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back