Charles Aranguiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say we've had three genuine world class players play for us.

Gordon Banks
Peter Shilton
Gary Lineker

I don't know much about Sunderland but that's probably more than you.
Bet you haven't got a world cup winner though...........

Gordon Banks
Peter Shilton
Gary Lineker

How can u say they are world class? England are shit, how many Euro / WC winners medals for your 3?

Brian Clough
Charlie Hurley
Jordan Henderson
Frank Worthington

How can u say they are world class? England are shit, how many Euro / WC winners medals for your 3?

Brian Clough
Charlie Hurley
Jordan Henderson
Frank Worthington

You can't say anyone on that list is genuine world class.

Frank Worthington spent his best years at Leicester anyway from the age of 24-29. He scored 72 goals in 210 games.
At Sunderland he was 34 and scored twice in 19 games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Worthington

Lineker wasn't world class when he played for Leicester tbf.

Probably not but top class. In fact I didn't realise he played almost half his career at Leicester with a 1 in 2 goal record.

He left for Everton who were the best team in England at the time and within a year was at Barcelona. He won the Cup Winners Cup at Barca and scored a hat trick in his first match vs Real Madrid.

He also won the Golden Boot at the 1986 World Cup and a Ballon d'Or runner up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lineker

Probably not but top class. In fact I didn't realise he played almost half his career at Leicester with a 1 in 2 goal record.

He left for Everton who were the best team in England at the time and within a year was at Barcelona. He won the Cup Winners Cup at Barca and scored a hat trick in his first match vs Real Madrid.

He also won the Golden Boot at the 1986 World Cup and a Ballon d'Or runner up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lineker
I know all of that, I also know he wasn't world class when he played fro Leicester.

Brian Clough
Charlie Hurley
Jordan Henderson
Frank Worthington
Thats a pretty shitty list, Frank Worthinton?

We've not had players as good as the 3 LF mentioned since about the 60s.

Gordon Banks
Peter Shilton
Gary Lineker

Arguably we had Shackleton who was a bit of a maverick and jim Baxter but the three you mentioned are more household names than those.

Thats a pretty shitty list, Frank Worthinton?

We've not had players as good as the 3 LF mentioned since about the 60s.

It's on par with his world class list, England haven't produced any world class players since 66......
Worthington was fookin mint BTW even at 34 shows how much shit we've had.....

Brian Clough
Charlie Hurley
Jordan Henderson
Frank Worthington
Bryan clough played about 3 top flight games.
Charlie Hurley played second tier and for a lower end top flight club.
Jordan Henderson is way too young to be put alongside those LF mention ed.
and as for frank worthington (who also played for Leicester) have a word man !

Bryan clough played about 3 top flight games.
Charlie Hurley played second tier and for a lower end top flight club.
Jordan Henderson is way too young to be put alongside those LF mention ed.
and as for frank worthington (who also played for Leicester) have a word man !

To be world class you need to have picked up a pot for me otherwise ye could put any fooka on the list.....

It's on par with his world class list, England haven't produced any world class players since 66......
Worthington was fookin mint BTW even at 34 shows how much shit we've had.....
Not IMO, Clough had an amazing record but it was all (apart from 1 goal) in the 2nd division, Hurleys career was also largely in the 2nd division as well. Worthington was a better player at Leicester than he was for us & although I'm a big fan of Henderson, he was a kid here & still hasn't really achieved anything yet.

You'd have to go back to the 50's, probably even the 30s to have players of the caliber of Shilton, Banks & Lineker.

Arguably we had Shackleton who was a bit of a maverick and jim Baxter but the three you mentioned are more household names than those.

I didn't know Jim Baxter played for you, Ive heard a lot of ex players speak highly enough of him to say he was world class.

Len Shackleton I have heard of but no nothing of him, in fact I've just read this on his wiki page which is an amzing stat.

International career[edit]
Selectors always viewed the rebellious Shackleton with distrust, and once when challenged over his continued snubbing by a journalist the reply was "we play at Wembley, not the London Palladium." [2] As it was, he gained 5 international caps for England between 1948 and 1954. His one goal was scored with a chip against the then World Champions West Germany in December 1954, the last England goal scored by a Sunderland player until Darren Bent's goal against Switzerland in September 2010 .[10] England boss Walter Winterbottom would tell of his unsuccessful attempts to 'tame' him for the England set up – "If only Len would come half-way to meet the needs of the team there wouldn't be many to touch him."

You're on about 'world class' players. How many league titles did those world class players win? Doesn't matter if you have world class players, it all depends on what they win. Which to the best of my knowledge, Leicester have only won 3 trophies in their whole existence.

You're on about 'world class' players. How many league titles did those world class players win? Doesn't matter if you have world class players, it all depends on what they win. Which to the best of my knowledge, Leicester have only won 3 trophies in their whole existence.

You can't define world class like that, you have to judge a player on his ability not his team mates.

Stephane Guivarc'h won a world cup but Messi, Ronaldo and George Best haven't.

O'Shea and Brown have won numerous PL titles but Steven Gerrard didn't.

You can't define world class like that, you have to judge a player on his ability not his team mates.

Stephane Guivarc'h won a world cup but Messi, Ronaldo and George Best haven't.

O'Shea and Brown have won numerous PL titles but Steven Gerrard didn't.

What I'm saying is, does it matter if you have world class players? If your team has won many titles and trophies does it matter if there's a world class player in the ranks? I think you'd agree, you'd rather win a trophy than have a world class player in your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back