Charles Aranguiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't define world class like that, you have to judge a player on his ability not his team mates.

Stephane Guivarc'h won a world cup but Messi, Ronaldo and George Best haven't.

O'Shea and Brown have won numerous PL titles but Steven Gerrard didn't.
Gerrard not worthy to lace O`Sheas boots ;)

What I'm saying is, does it matter if you have world class players? If your team has won many titles and trophies does it matter if there's a world class player in the ranks? I think you'd agree, you'd rather win a trophy than have a world class player in your team.

Of course, trophies are what it's all about but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

The sub topic in this thread deviated to worldies.

I think Banks and Shilton are world class by any definition. Lineker is more debatable but I'd have him as world class in his day.

You can't define world class like that, you have to judge a player on his ability not his team mates.

Serious question - was Shilton world class whilst at Leicester or was it after he left that he became World Class? I was only born in 77.

Of course, trophies are what it's all about but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

I think Banks and Shilton are world class by any definition. Lineker is more debatable but I'd have him as world class in his day.

I think the two are intertwined. People always question the players who haven't won the title if they are world class or not. It's a team game at the end of the day. The reason I'm saying all this is that you were questioning whether Sunderland have had any world class players. Well I'm saying to you, we've won 6 league titles and a number of cups. Personally, I couldn't care less if we've had a world class player, what I care about is the fact we're a reasonably well decorated team. Yes, our league titles were pre-war but you're talking about world class players who played at least 20 years ago for you.

Bullshit Mardadona would League titles on his own and World Cup matches

Lineker scored a hatrick once, but never changed our fate in a competition, most of his goals were against plodders in qualifying

Banks aside the others aren't WC

Lineker scored a hatrick once, but never changed our fate in a competition, most of his goals were against plodders in qualifying

Shilton not world class? Come off it man. That's a bloke who won the league and European cup!

You don't have to be as good as Maradona to be considered world class.

Maradona is probably most people's pick for the greatest ever.

Serious question - was Shilton world class whilst at Leicester or was it after he left that he became World Class? I was only born in 77.

Well, I was born in 1969 so I'm also too young to remember him at Leicester.

I was quite surprised to see he'd made more appearances for Leicester than anyone. I would say he was world class at Leicester because Leicester sold Banks in 1967 to accomadate an 18 year old Shilton. He got his first England cap at 21 and left Leicester at 25 for a world record fee for a GK at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Shilton

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be as good as Maradona to be considered world class.

Maradona is probably most people's pick for the greatest ever.

According to SKY every one in the premier is world class.......
Suppose Rooney is world class even though he's gone missing at every WC?

John O'Shea and Wes Brown....
Shilton was canny mind, just those trophies are not the criteria to base it on.
That's not the question. We are talking world class players who have played for a club at some point. The three Leicester have all played a significant amount of time for the club as well.
Brown and oshea have never been world class I'm afraid. Good players but not world class.

According to SKY every one in the premier is world class.......
Suppose Rooney is world class even though he's gone missing at every WC?

My definition of world class are players who would make a squad of 22 or so if you could choose.

Rooney would have been in it at one time.

Banks and Shilton for sure and probably Lineker as well.

.. I loved Lineker, but he was nowhere near the class of Mardadona .. but who was? ..

Lineker was a superb player, and a cracking finisher for England.

Certainly never looked out of place at World Cups, and always turned up mentally, he's a good lad as well.

Shilton not world class? Come off it man. That's a bloke who won the league and European cup!

Shilton was top drawer, as good as anyone on the world stage at one time imo.

My definition of world class are players who would make a squad of 22 or so if you could choose.

Rooney would have been in it at one time.

Banks and Shilton for sure and probably Lineker as well.

Oh so we're playing fantasy footy now, no evidence of winning trophies on a European or World stage required........No wonder Leicester are shit.....

That's not the question. We are talking world class players who have played for a club at some point. The three Leicester have all played a significant amount of time for the club as well.
Brown and oshea have never been world class I'm afraid. Good players but not world class.

Dunno if Peter Shilton was World Class mind. A good GK but not WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back