Ched Evans signing for.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
rapists cant be role models, hes done is time aye but no, a role model to thousands of kids, to be celebrated, just no, and thats not even to mention the amount of splitarses that go to games these days. He hasn't even apologised to his victim yet. I cant even see where theres an argument tbh.

Seriously what the fuck are you blabbering on about?
Calm down man, I'm not blabbering I'm voicing my concern as to the fact that people consider employing a convicted rapist as being ok because their football team will benefit from it, to me this is the reasoning of low life.
Now if the cap fits wear it.

Default setting is he should be given another chance, he's done his time etc, can totally understand that, whether the case is ambiguous or not is not a factor, the law of the land said he's guilty but should one mistake ruin his whole career?

There's famous people done all sorts where people have died (lee Hughes, prince naseem sporting examples) jay z convicted of stabbing someone as a non sporting example, lee Hughes god knows what he's up to but was allowed a second chance, naz is getting inducted into the boxing hall of fame and jay z is probs one of the biggest artists in the world.

However imagine if it was your club, having to explain to kids or having them ask for his name on shirts etc, not something I would feel comfortable with and wouldn't want it associated with safc. Also the victim and her family must feel sick to the stomach when they see him scoring and being lauded a hero when possibly their life has been ruined.

Can see both sides of the argument but I'm fence sitting, yep he deserves another chance, as long as it's not my club where he gets it

rapists cant be role models, hes done is time aye but no, a role model to thousands of kids, to be celebrated, just no, and thats not even to mention the amount of splitarses that go to games these days. He hasn't even apologised to his victim yet. I cant even see where theres an argument tbh.

Supporting Hartlepool?!? :-O

Default setting is he should be given another chance, he's done his time etc, can totally understand that, whether the case is ambiguous or not is not a factor, the law of the land said he's guilty but should one mistake ruin his whole career?

There's famous people done all sorts where people have died (lee Hughes, prince naseem sporting examples) jay z convicted of stabbing someone as a non sporting example, lee Hughes god knows what he's up to but was allowed a second chance, naz is getting inducted into the boxing hall of fame and jay z is probs one of the biggest artists in the world.

However imagine if it was your club, having to explain to kids or having them ask for his name on shirts etc, not something I would feel comfortable with and wouldn't want it associated with safc. Also the victim and her family must feel sick to the stomach when they see him scoring and being lauded a hero when possibly their life has been ruined.

Can see both sides of the argument but I'm fence sitting, yep he deserves another chance, as long as it's not my club where he gets it

Just picking up on your post because it was recent and you're in the middle. I notice you don't even mention his actions since being released from prison. Is this not a factor to you, out of interest? As I said earlier for me it's the thing that doesn't sit well, the actual event aside.

My primary interest is in whether justice has been done. Barry George was convicted with murdering Jill Dando in 2000. The Press and the rest of the world called him a murderer. He was the focus of mass hatred for 7 years. His first appeal was turned down. The Criminal Cases Review Commission reviewed the case in 2007 and his conviction was quashed. He was then retried and the case against him was frankly pathetic. That was a high profile case, but not the first case of a serious miscarriage of justice. The evidence simply did not exist to convict him, and as far as I can see the evidence did not exist to convict Ched Evans. What happened was some storytelling was done and the prosecution managed convinced the jury to send him down, but there was not one single piece of evidence to indicate that he was guilty. What they had was this;

The complainant claiming she had no memory of the event.
The complainant claiming that she could not have given consent as she was incapacitated by an unknown substance.
The testimony of Ched Evans and his associate.

It is all well and good lining up to kick the guy, but how many people reading this thread could have gone down in the exact same scenario? How many of you have woken up after drunkenly having sex with someone you didn't even know? Do you remember checking her blood alcohol levels, or doing a toxicology test to see if she was under the influence of any substances that would make her appear to be giving consent, when in fact she was not able to give consent? Or do you only pick up stone-cold sober girls who have not touched a drop?

It is an unworkable proposition, and a case that goes down that route should be considered a test case and a contentious case. The problem is that although someone could very well use this scenario to have non-consensual sex with someone, they can just as easily and legitimately have perfectly legal consensual sex with them in the exact same scenario. When you mix in the evidence that was considered inadmissible, as well as the comments she made on Twitter (which she subsequently failed to cover up) an entirely different picture starts to appear.

I am convinced that once the Cases Review Commission looks at this, it is going to go back to appeal, and he is going to be acquitted.

Are you related?
Please , in one paragraph, tell us what Lee Hughes has done in any way to redeem himself and show any remorse? Oh wow he tried to play football again, if that isn't an example of someone becoming a role model nothing is.
It's an old cliché but a good one...you make your bed you lie in it. He's committed a sick cowardly crime, he should pay, long and short term.

My primary interest is in whether justice has been done. Barry George was convicted with murdering Jill Dando in 2000. The Press and the rest of the world called him a murderer. He was the focus of mass hatred for 7 years. His first appeal was turned down. The Criminal Cases Review Commission reviewed the case in 2007 and his conviction was quashed. He was then retried and the case against him was frankly pathetic. That was a high profile case, but not the first case of a serious miscarriage of justice. The evidence simply did not exist to convict him, and as far as I can see the evidence did not exist to convict Ched Evans. What happened was some storytelling was done and the prosecution managed convinced the jury to send him down, but there was not one single piece of evidence to indicate that he was guilty. What they had was this;

The complainant claiming that she could not have given consent as she was incapacitated by an unknown substance.

It is all well and good lining up to kick the guy, but how many people reading this thread could have gone down in the exact same scenario? How many of you have woken up after drunkenly having sex with someone you didn't even know? Do you remember checking her blood alcohol levels, or doing a toxicology test to see if she was under the influence of any substances that would make her appear to be giving consent, when in fact she was not able to give consent? Or do you only pick up stone-cold sober girls who have not touched a drop?

It is an unworkable proposition, and a case that goes down that route should be considered a test case and a contentious case. The problem is that although someone could very well use this scenario to have non-consensual sex with someone, they can just as easily and legitimately have perfectly legal consensual sex with them in the exact same scenario. When you mix in the evidence that was considered inadmissible, as well as the comments she made on Twitter (which she subsequently failed to cover up) an entirely different picture starts to appear.

I am convinced that once the Cases Review Commission looks at this, it is going to go back to appeal, and he is going to be acquitted.
Taliban SVU

He hasn't apologised because he's still appealing/insisting innocence. That would be contradicting, yes?

By the way I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty (tbh I haven't really read into this enough to pass opinion).

Innocent until proven guilty.

He was proven guilty.

He will remain guilty until proven innocent now as far as I'm concerned.

Some people on here seem hell bent on convincing everyone he's innocent by typing up long winded 'evidence' they've read elsewhere. However you weren't in court, you didn't hear every detail, and you don't have the court transcripts.

It sounds like you have a problem with the definition of consent under the law, rather than a miscarriage of justice.

If she can't remember, then she must have been to drunk to consent. The other evidence backed up that she was drunk. That's pretty much it as far as I can see.

Also the comments she made on Twitter are absolutely nothing to do with her consenting or not and are absolutely non admissible in court. Although Mr Evans website seems to think they're evidence.

It sounds like you have a problem with the definition of consent under the law, rather than a miscarriage of justice.

If she can't remember, then she must have been to drunk to consent. The other evidence backed up that she was drunk. That's pretty much it as far as I can see.

Also the comments she made on Twitter are absolutely nothing to do with her consenting or not and are absolutely non admissible in court. Although Mr Evans website seems to think they're evidence.

The law doesn't actually say consent needs to be given it says: 'A (accused) does not reasonably believe that B (victim) consents.'

So that's a blurry line. If she said yes, even though she was utterly shitfaced, could the accused reasonably believe she had consented?
it depends on what has happened throughout the night i would believe so if you asked someone and they say no then you get them shitfaced that would be illegal however if you both were then it is more likely that it would be said t was reasonable belief.

it depends on what has happened throughout the night i would believe so if you asked someone and they say no then you get them shitfaced that would be illegal however if you both were then it is more likely that it would be said t was reasonable belief.
So the fact that Evans wasn't drunk and he hadn't been out with her beforehand like MacDonald had, will be party of the evidence that she hadn't consented, I assume.

Playing devils advocate, I can see why, if she's agreed to have sex with him when he arrived, but doesn't temember agreeing when she wakes up, that he might have had reasonable grounds to believe she consented.

I think the moral here is that we need to teach lads what consent is, and why you shouldn't just shag drunken lasses without thinking about it. I know that's a cultural shift, but it's probably needed.

Because he has served his time?

Because the whole 'role model' thing is completely overplayed when pretty much every team in the country (including us) has had plenty of players you wouldn't want your son to aspire to be like?

Because he isn't going to apologise to the complainant if he really believes he is innocent?

Because its the courts' job to issue sentences, not Hartlepool United's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back