Could Lee Cattermole get an England call up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't believe its even a doubt, I thought the post was a piss take.

England and Catts simply won't happen, don't blame anyone else , his playing history and lack of appearances spells it out, not a f***ing chance

Ditto. I assumed it was another one of Spug's "characters".

He's a half decent premier league footballer on his day.......but playing at International level......haway, have a word with yourselves

I agree, how would he ever cope against the mighty Iran or Costa Rica. God help him if he was ever to come up against the mighty Check Tiote - I dunno how he'd ever compete with that titan of international football.

There's people who question if he SAFC standard let alone international quality...

What exactly is international quality like?

I've asked this numerous times, never had a sensible answer yet.

Costa Rica? Iran? Algeria? Australia? All of them performed better than England at the last WC. That's a fact.

The pl is a far higher standard than international football, not even f***ing disputable imo.

Last edited:
Can't believe its even a doubt, I thought the post was a piss take.

England and Catts simply won't happen, don't blame anyone else , his playing history and lack of appearances spells it out, not a f***ing chance
It's a wise rat that doesn't eat cheese.

He would have been better than the arseholes that did fuck all in Brazil, Golden boy "Stevie G" was a f***ing disgrace. He'll not get a chance though, they couldn't possibly have a Sunderland Pleb sullying the England squad. Unless of course Liverpool or man u are sniffing round him, then it's ok......

Undoubtedly England need a player like him and undoubtedly he would have improved the team at the WC. And I can't think of any other English player that can do the job, so it's a yes from me. Which, unfortunately says a lot about the state of English football.

Joey Barton got a call up, therefore nothing to stop Cattermole.

You've got to be kidding me, so did Steven Taylor.........players who've had caps has nowt to do with Cattermole being good enough

Talk about clueless

I agree, how would he ever cope against the mighty Iran or Costa Rica. God help him if he was ever to come up against the mighty Check Tiote - I dunno how he'd ever compete with that titan of international football.

What exactly is international quality like?

I've asked this numerous times, never had a sensible answer yet.

Costa Rica? Iran? Algeria? Australia? All of them performed better than England at the last WC. That's a fact.

The pl is a far higher standard than international football, not even f***ing disputable imo.

Do you really think he's good enough.......

You've got to be kidding me, so did Steven Taylor.........players who've had caps has nowt to do with Cattermole being good enough

Talk about clueless

Good enough for what ?

To play against international players? Of course I do as he does it week in week out. Do you think he wouldn't get in the f***ing Iranian team like? Do you think the mighty Australia or Austria or Switzerland would be to much for him like?

Could he compete against Germany, Argentina etc? No probably not, but neither can any of the rest.

My point is, to say he couldn't play international football is ridiculous when worse players have just done it at the WC and one of those players plays for your team, most of the teams at that level are absolutely shit.

It's like you think every team are as good as Germany, maybe 5-6 teams are way above his level but the rest are cacky. And your calling ppl f***ing clueless :lol:

He's a better dmf than Check Tiote who managed to play international football np. He'd get savaged against the absolute best, he'd be more than competitive against the rest though.

I'll ask you a question I've asked a few and not had a reply.

What does international class even mean?

And whilst your at it, name me 3 better English dmf's that Cattermole. The days of Ince, Batty are long gone mate.

Last edited:
There's more chance of Colback getting a call-up than Cattermole....And I don't think that's going to happen either.

Cattermole has extremely limited football ability and he's extremely inconsistent. There's loads of players that would be ahead of him.

Serious thread.

Who else is there that could play the holding midfield role?

With Gerrard gone and the fact Gareth Barry will be 35 at the next international tournament and there is a real sense in the public's mood that younger talent needs to be considered

How many other English central midfielders are there in the Premier League?

Tom Cleverley
Fabian Delph
Jamie Ward Prowse
Jack Colback
Jake Livermore
Joey Barton
Ashley Westwood

Absolutely nowt there to be frightened of. If Wilshere picks up an injury (which isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility) it's even more on

Not until pigs fly and the moon turns blue

Every team needs one. If they've got a bit of footballing ability, all the better, but at the moment England don't have a player who can do this job. Why can't people understand that having a team isn't about throwing the best 11 'footballers' onto the pitch?

Talk about clueless

Totally agree mate,the people who think Cattermole is good enough to play for England are either looking through rose tinted glasses or they know nothing about football at all.

I think give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the first one,I am absolutely convinced that if he did not play for Sunderland and was picked for England,every single person on this thread would by saying Roy has gone mad picking him.

They were times last season when he could not make our side and we were totally shit at them times,a player good enough for England would have walked into that side.

Good enough for what ?

To play against international players? Of course I do as he does it week in week out. Do you think he wouldn't get in the f***ing Iranian team like? Do you think the mighty Australia or Austria or Switzerland would be to much for him like?

Could he compete against Germany, Argentina etc? No probably not, but neither can any of the rest.

My point is, to say he couldn't play international football is ridiculous when worse players have just done it at the WC and one of those players plays for your team, most of the teams at that level are absolutely shit.

It's like you think every team are as good as Germany, maybe 5-6 teams are way above his level but the rest are cacky. And your calling ppl f***ing clueless :lol:

He's a better dmf than Check Tiote who managed to play international football np. He'd get savaged against the absolute best, he'd be more than competitive against the rest though.

I'll ask you a question I've asked a few and not had a reply.

What does international class even mean?

And whilst your at it, name me 3 better English dmf's that Cattermole. The days of Ince, Batty are long gone mate.

The reason the days of Batty and Ince are long gone is because football has moved on and even holding midfielders are expected to pass and keep possession,a lot of people's arguments is that nobody is better than Catts at what he does,the bottom line is top teams don't want a player in his mould that want far better quality players than him.

Last edited:
Totally agree mate,the people who think Cattermole is good enough to play for England are either looking through rose tinted glasses or they know nothing about football at all.

I think give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the first one,I am absolutely convinced that if he did not play for Sunderland and was picked for England,every single person on this thread would by saying Roy has gone mad picking him.

They were times last season when he could not make our side and we were totally shit at them times,a player good enough for England would have walked into that side.

The reason the days of Batty and Ince are long gone is because football has moved on and even holding midfielders are expected to pass and keep possession,a lot of people's arguments is that nobody is better than Catts at what he does,the bottom line is top teams don't want a player in his mould that want far better quality players than him.

My point is England are not a top team. We haven't been for a while either. I can't believe you think we are, what else will it take for ppl to accept we are not a top team?

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be playing for England, I'm saying he could play international football. Some people talk like international football is the elite standard, it's not and hasn't been for years.

I've also never said he should play for a bigger team, not sure where you got that from.

If check Tiote could play and not look out of place at a WC, neither would he.

What is international class? Does everyone have to be like Kroos? Mascherano? If that's the case explain the WC performances of the USA, Iran, Algeria, Australia, Costa Rica? How did these teams with average players perform so well?

All of these teams out performed the mighty England at the WC, again, that's a fact.

When a player of cleverlys standard gets a cap even I'd have hopes of getting a game - England are shit, get over it.

Every team needs one. If they've got a bit of footballing ability, all the better, but at the moment England don't have a player who can do this job. Why can't people understand that having a team isn't about throwing the best 11 'footballers' onto the pitch?
Sorry I didn't realise you were suggesting that he should be mascot. I'd totally misunderstood and thought that people had been at the glue and were actually suggesting that he should be playing football for England.

Take your point about international class,never said we were top team because I agree with you there as well because we are not,the last 20 years or so have proved your point beyond any doubt.

However my point is simple,IMO there are about 15 English midfielders who are better than Cattermole,granted all of them do not play as holding midfielder,however I believe most of these players could still play that role better than him.

Midfielders should be flexible and be able to switch positions and systems and be able to keep possession and pass and move,that is what modern football is all about and that is why you do not see many of Cattermole's type any more.

Reactions: Az*
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back