Could the Labour Party be a spent force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you think it'll all be out this year?

Presumably they will publish their manifesto at approximately the same time as the other main political parties, nome of whom have published their own yet.

Manifestos are generally published a couple of months before the relevant election. There is no set rule, and normally we don't know exactly when an election will be held, so we are in a bit of an unusual situation.

David Cameron will be the first Prime Minister who is unable to call an election at the time which is most politically convenient for him, he gave this power up by introducing fixed term parliaments.

out of europe and into the wider world.

A world of trade and investment made not by Europe's imposed choices, but by Britain's choices.

I can remember the days before we joined and it wasn't exactly a bed of roses. I suspect there was a reason we tried so hard to join.

Personally I would have grave concerns over leaving to join your brave new world, for example we'd immediately place ourselves outside the largest trading block in the world. Looking at the inflation adjusted GDP statistics (Overall and per capita) in this link I'd say we've performed well since we joined the club.

Here.

I can remember the days before we joined and it wasn't exactly a bed of roses. I suspect there was a reason we tried so hard to join.

Personally I would have grave concerns over leaving to join your brave new world, for example we'd immediately place ourselves outside the largest trading block in the world. Looking at the inflation adjusted GDP statistics (Overall and per capita) in this link I'd say we've performed well since we joined the club.

Here.

A Bloc that held 40% (ish) of World Trade when we joined - And holds around 20% now (with a larger bloc). Yeh, great future.

Vote UKIP, Get UKIP.

I'm happy for UKIP continue and impose the demise of the Conservative Party.

Should Labour get in this time, they won't last very long. Miliband is a joke of a leader with lukewarm support from his own party at best.

Option one) Get enough seats to keep that gonk caMoron in check, with a minor Coalition role. Build on it.

Option two) Let Labour into power. Leave Slack-Jaw to light the touchpaper. Sweep to complete power in 2015.

Last edited:
A Bloc that held 40% (ish) of World Trade when we joined - And holds around 20% now (with a larger bloc). Yeh, great future.

Figures that look to have the potential to be incredibly misleading. What's this a measure of, any link? And remember, we sell a lot in to the Eu now.

Figures that look to have the potential to be incredibly misleading. What's this a measure of, any link? And remember, we sell a lot in to the Eu now.

Can't help ye there, Marra. It's not the easiest thing to find a matching Google Search result. Only read it about a fortnight ago, as well. You could either take my word for it, don't, or Google something to disprove me. But I can promise, I read it from a 'reliable' source.

What I can tell you is ....
EU share of Global Trade is falling.
The proportion of our exported products going to the EU is falling.
The proportion of EU members' imports coming from us (average) is falling.
Our exports to non-EU nations is rising.

And last but not least - Switzerland has free-trade agreements with more countries than the EU does (only one more country, but still more).

We DO NOT need the EU.

Can't help ye there, Marra. It's not the easiest thing to find a matching Google Search result. Only read it about a fortnight ago, as well. You could either take my word for it, don't, or Google something to disprove me. But I can promise, I read it from a 'reliable' source.

And last but not least - Switzerland has free-trade agreements with more countries than the EU does (only one more country, but still more).

We DO NOT need the EU.

No disrespect intended marra but I'm terminally suspicious of statistics when presented in that form.

I have no axe to grind. I'm pro Europe but also of an age where I couldn't give a flying fuck whichever way it goes.

More tax on tabs!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/22/ed-miliband-speech-tax-tobacco-nhs-labour-conference

'Labour is likely to counter that the firms have a duty to help the NHS because of the link between cancer and tobacco. Estimates for the amount spent on tobacco in the UK in 2011 range from £15.3bn to £18.3bn. The cost of smoking to the NHS is put at between £2.7bn and £5.2bn.
The Treasury earned £9.5bn in revenue from tobacco duties in the financial year 2011-12.'

Are they complete idiots?

it seems like miliband's election campaign is based on a more tax. everything I've read is tax more, more, more. very little about job or employment growth.

We DO NOT need the EU.
that just tells me the EU are going through a bad patch. which they are. imagine if they were growing how awesome our economy would be....

We DO NOT need the EU.
1. Our growth figures are better than France, Germany and the US and this is forecasted to continue. In other words we are doing fine economically in the EU and this is forecasted to continue. 2. Ask people in Switzerland - politicians, business people and the general population and they will say that while they enjoy their status it would be a big mistake for the UK to leave the EU. We will not get those trade agreements that it took 25 years for Switzerland to get - not my view but that of the Swiss. Ignoring the view is similar to Salmond ignoring the views of senior EU officials.

I think there are problems to be addressed in the UK but EU membership is not one of them.

it seems like miliband's election campaign is based on a more tax. everything I've read is tax more, more, more. very little about job or employment growth.

that just tells me the EU are going through a bad patch. which they are. imagine if they were growing how awesome our economy would be....
I've been very unimpressed with Milliband but liked two of the 6 targets of increasing jobs in Green Technology by 1 million and increasing apprentices from 100k to 400k (assuming the bulk will be technology/engineering). While these may be seen as minor they are part of some restructuring of the economy away from a reliance on banking/service sector. It is unusual for the leaders to sketch out such clear aims.

As Ed failed to mention immigration or the economy at all during an 80 minute speech yesterday, I feel he is totally out of touch ( as are the Labour party in general) with the topics that cvoncern most of the electorate.

Labour will not do well at the next general election IMO.

It's true. :D

There's only so many times you can listen to the excuses trotted out by the surrogate fathers and God substitutes in Westminster. Any mug can throw his hands up and tell us it's a world recession, it's inflation, nationalism, the ERM, the darkies, communism, the bankers, the regulators, isolationism, Keynes, Milton f***ing Friedman the unemployed, the unions, the muzzies, single mothers, the miners, the enemy within, the enemy without, Paolo di Canio the EU, both in and out. The shameless bastards will tickle people's prejudices and blame anything and everything but their own ideological leanings and rank incompetence. Mind I'm pleased they're not driving cabs because the buggers never see owt coming. We're all huddled on a rock hurtling through space, at the mercy of all manner of natural forces, including our own natures and up trots the man with a plan who's about to put everything right. Fuck off man. :D

1. Our growth figures are better than France, Germany and the US and this is forecasted to continue. In other words we are doing fine economically in the EU and this is forecasted to continue. 2. Ask people in Switzerland - politicians, business people and the general population and they will say that while they enjoy their status it would be a big mistake for the UK to leave the EU. We will not get those trade agreements that it took 25 years for Switzerland to get - not my view but that of the Swiss. Ignoring the view is similar to Salmond ignoring the views of senior EU officials.

I think there are problems to be addressed in the UK but EU membership is not one of them.

Hahahaha. f***ing hell

Fear not, mate .....

Albania, , Turkey, The Ukraine, and Bosnia are coming.
Anytime soon.

After seeing Militwat on the News this morning, I can't believe this cheesy bell is going to be PM off the backs of how unpopular the Tories are. Christ.

He's the sort of guy who cries for his mam and sucks his thumb after ejaculating during sex.

If you thought we were fucked under the Tories, it'll be worse with these Labour cretins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back