Craig Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak as piss...physically and mentally.

Which is a big problem for a keeper.
Which prime was this then? - yes he had moments - as all keepers do but had flaws as others have mentioned both physically and mentally. Responsible for a few amazing saves and a few howlers.

As always on here he was either a legend and our best ever keeper, or completely shite.

In reality he was somewhere in between with a git big price tag.

Good keeper and he would be our #1 had he stayed. Bit off at times but then again who isn't? Would love to have him back.

I only know he was at Lanc. City cos me and my best mate got freebies and went to see them. As my best mate described his performance:

"Well, he can't really save, he can't really kick....but he can shout f***ing loud though" :lol:

bet he lords it ib the local pubs, chatting up the barmaids with the old 'hand the tenner over/pull it away as she reaches for it trick' before delighting locals with his tales of the big time, while scoffing roast ox crisps

Weak as piss...physically and mentally.

Which is a big problem for a keeper.
Give over man. He was a very good keeper and has shown amazing mental strength to get back playing again. He had has flaws, but even the best keepers do. De Gea was getting pounded in his first season at man u and he's also a great keeper. 9m was too much, but he's still a good keeper.

The two we have now couldn't even lace Gordon's boots when he was in his prime.

Aye, I wouldn't have him back now but he's arguably the most talented goalkeeper we've ever had - just a shame injuries ruined him really.

I am a big fan, but that is outrageous

Mig was amazing for us, hasn't kicked on at Liverpool, but he kept us up that season

I am a big fan, but that is outrageous

Mig was amazing for us, hasn't kicked on at Liverpool, but he kept us up that season
Gordon also kept us up one season (think it was 10/11).

Anyway, I said talented - not necessarily the best for us. I'd say he was a much more talented goalkeeper than Mignolet.

Sorry just didn't rate him, I never felt confident with him between the sticks....almost every game we had a discussion on whether he was to blame for the goals we conceded.
I think you were swayed too much by the price tag marra. If he cost 5 million we would all be hailing him like we did sorensen.

Anyway, I said talented - not necessarily the best for us. I'd say he was a much more talented goalkeeper than Mignolet.

Not convinced, he was better at certain aspects maybe, but Mig stood out a mile in his last season, never seen a keeper influence games so much for us, just with his presence. One thing he was class at was narrowing the angle in a one on one, he was more talented at one on ones than Gordon for me

2009/10 is the season I think you're referring to. He was every bit as good then as Mignolet was in 2012/13, but Bent got the headlines that season and rightly so.

I think you were too much by the price tag marra. If he cost 5 million we would all be hailing him like we did sorensen.

Not at all. My opinion of a player is only on performances not fee. I was desperate for him to be a success and be our keeper for the next 10 years, but I seriously think he is error prone.

Other keepers that were moving at the time were the likes of Friedel to Villa, Howard to everton

Not at all. My opinion of a player is only on performances not fee. I was desperate for him to be a success and be our keeper for the next 10 years, but I seriously think he is error prone.

Other keepers that were moving at the time were the likes of Friedel to Villa, Howard to everton
And Friday and Howard, great keepers though they were, have both had their fair share of calamities... (Howard more than fried Al who is an amazing keeper tbf) I will always think that Gordon was good for us and that we would all have thought that he was an amazing keeper had he not cost so much, so we aren't ever going to have the same opinion. The fact that you a have a differing opinion to me is perfectly okay (however wrong it may be ;))

Gordon was consistently good exactly what you want from a goalie never played badly and never dropped howlers, positioning was sometimes suspect but his shot stopping was so excellent he could get away with it must of the time although he did get caught often with low strikes from distance.

Friedel was 37 in 2008 when he moved to Villa and was arguably the best keeper in the league that season Gordon was 25 years old when we signed him, if he had stayed fit we could have had a top class keeper on the books for over a decade and hd would have been a bargain at 9million.

He was a cracking goalkeeper. The problem was the fee combined with the fact that he did get off to a poor start which some people could never see past and for some every single goal he conceded could be attributed to him. I remember one poster slagging off his Bolton save because he only needed to save it so brilliantly because he was out of position in the first place :lol:

Sorry just didn't rate him, I never felt confident with him between the sticks....almost every game we had a discussion on whether he was to blame for the goals we conceded.
I felt more confident with him in goal than I did with the clowns like McShane, Higginbotham and the Noz in front of him - even Peter Schmeichel or Gordon Banks would have looked exposed! It's no coincidence that his best season for us was 09/10 when he played behind Mensah/Ferdinand/Turner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back