Craig Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Friday and Howard, great keepers though they were, have both had their fair share of calamities... (Howard more than fried Al who is an amazing keeper tbf) I will always think that Gordon was good for us and that we would all have thought that he was an amazing keeper had he not cost so much, so we aren't ever going to have the same opinion. The fact that you a have a differing opinion to me is perfectly okay (however wrong it may be ;))
Friday and Fried Al, brilliant :lol:

If Gordon was a top trumps card...

Reactions 8
Shot stopping 9
Composure 3
Command of the area 4
Claiming crosses 3

I felt more confident with him in goal than I did with the clowns like McShane, Higginbotham and the Noz in front of him - even Peter Schmeichel or Gordon Banks would have looked exposed! It's no coincidence that his best season for us was 09/10 when he played behind Mensah/Ferdinand/Turner!

Ward and Fulop looked ok with those defenders

Last edited:
Sorry just didn't rate him, I never felt confident with him between the sticks....almost every game we had a discussion on whether he was to blame for the goals we conceded.

That's exactly the point. The fact that every goal we conceded was a point of discussion surely suggests how ridiculous the arguments had become and how biased people were. People made their mind up early because of a combination of his poor start and the fee and everything that hit the net was attributed to him by some. It was crackers.

I felt more confident with him in goal than I did with the clowns like McShane, Higginbotham and the Noz in front of him - even Peter Schmeichel or Gordon Banks would have looked exposed! It's no coincidence that his best season for us was 09/10 when he played behind Mensah/Ferdinand/Turner!

I would rather have Higginbotham than Ferdinand any day of the week. Nice bloke Anton though.

Gordon was consistently good exactly what you want from a goalie never played badly and never dropped howlers, positioning was sometimes suspect but his shot stopping was so excellent he could get away with it must of the time although he did get caught often with low strikes from distance.

Friedel was 37 in 2008 when he moved to Villa and was arguably the best keeper in the league that season Gordon was 25 years old when we signed him, if he had stayed fit we could have had a top class keeper on the books for over a decade and hd would have been a bargain at 9million.
His positioning was faultless. Which is why he caught most shots while hardly having to move.

His positioning was faultless. Which is why he caught most shots while hardly having to move.

Disagree with that can think of a lot of examples where he would be beaten from range because he didn't position himself centrally. I'm not knocking him he was a brilliant reactionary keeper and made some superb saves but he did have a tendency to get lost with where he was sometimes.

Disagree with that can think of a lot of examples where he would be beaten from range because he didn't position himself centrally. I'm not knocking him he was a brilliant reactionary keeper and made some superb saves but he did have a tendency to get lost with where he was sometimes.
Ha'way then

Beaten twice by crosses from wide areas as got caught too far across his line (Milner for the scum at the SOL) Johnson for City, this one probably the best example

Positioning all wrong in this clip in my opinion.

Beaten twice by crosses from wide areas as got caught too far across his line (Milner for the scum at the SOL) Johnson for City, this one probably the best example

if your going to blame him for that every goal vito has conceded this season can be faulted

Would love to see highlights of the 1-1 against City where he saved everything until Johnson scored in the last minute but I'm pretty sure he didn't use his hands for a save all game. Incredible performance.

if your going to blame him for that every goal vito has conceded this season can be faulted
I wasn't blaming anyone I really loved Gordon he was a fantastic keeper but you cannot ignore the fact his weak point was his positioning Mannone is the same to a certain extent in that he gets his position wrong a lot of the time difference is Gordon had quick feet and lightening fast reactions meaning he could adjust his position and make some brilliant saves .

I wasn't blaming anyone I really loved Gordon he was a fantastic keeper but you cannot ignore the fact his weak point was his positioning Mannone is the same to a certain extent in that he gets his position wrong a lot of the time difference is Gordon had quick feet and lightening fast reactions meaning he could adjust his position and make some brilliant saves .

Eh - you can argue he was flat footed (but you say that he generally has quick feet) how on earth was he badly positioned? His starting position was centre right and the ball went to the right side of the goal.

It should have been saved but more because he reacted slowly to the shot and didn't get his feet moving rather than his starting position which is good. Early in his career at Sunderland Gordon did make mistakes no question - he was excellent when he got back into the side IMO.

Would love to see highlights of the 1-1 against City where he saved everything until Johnson scored in the last minute but I'm pretty sure he didn't use his hands for a save all game. Incredible performance.

I'm sure some will tell you its another example of Gordon being beaten by a cross :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back