Daniel Sturridge: ‘People look at footballers as being flashy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Use John Terry then. My point is that for every canny lad there is a right f***ing prick and unfortunately most football fans seem to think that there are too many of the latter. Clearly though and as you have implied if someone throws £25k per week at you aged 19 and you are surrounded by people telling you you are git hellish then after awhile I guess you start to believe your own hype.

That Joe Hart is a right prick mind. comes across as a complete bellend.

Aye, said in my OP that his dress sense is the same as my stepsons ie f***ing rank. It appears that money has little to do with it...its just shite taste.
Why Joe Hart? He always stood out me as a pleasent lad. Not.disagreeing just interested.

Why Joe Hart? He always stood out me as a pleasent lad. Not.disagreeing just interested.
Saw him interviewed a few times. Came across as a bit of a wanker. I remember us being beaten off Uruguay to effectively go out of the WC and all he could do was make excuses about how we were the better team, how we should have beaten Italy blah, blah, blah. Arrogant lad.

Saw him interviewed a few times. Came across as a bit of a wanker. I remember us being beaten off Uruguay to effectively go out of the WC and all he could do was make excuses about how we were the better team, how we should have beaten Italy blah, blah, blah. Arrogant lad.

I don't listen to many interviews nor bother with international football but he's always come accross very gracious at the sol and there place. Always applaudes our fans and that when we beat them so that's a bit of a.surprise.

I don't think they deserve anything like they get paid, not even close, but they will be reliably working hard every hour at the ground. Research suggests that most people don't even spend half their work hours at work working.

And then home to a solitary existence basically. Reading that it's no surprise so many of them get depressed. Sounds a bit shit too be honest.

I don't have any sympathy for the clubs when it comes to wages to be honest. You're never short of chief executives bleating on about wages and fair play but they created the monster and still feed it, some of the contracts they give out are ludicrous.

Sturridge may earn £100k per week but he isn't the problem, he's one of the best players in the country and was a key player for Liverpool finishing 2nd. That generated them millions, why shouldn't he be paid accordingly?

It's the likes of Danny Graham earning £40k to sit in the stands that's the problem, but who's fault is that? We offered him the contract and he accepted on the promise of playing regularly under MON, MON was gone within weeks and the new manager farmed him out on loan and made him train with the kids.

Nobody should feel sorry for Graham but he shouldn't be a scapegoat either, it was our fuck up.

Clubs will willingly give out 5 year contacts on massive wages to players in their 30s who's ability will only decline but still earn the same at 36 when they're at the knackers yard as they did in their prime at 31, then fleece the fans by guilt tripping them, but it's the likes of Rooney (will be Man United and England's all time record scorer by his early 30s) who kop the flack.

I actually think Cole sounds quite canny when interviewed and has handled a lot of abuse quite well throughout his career, going on to become a firm favourite of the England fans. Most of the stories ive heard about him being a knob (things like telling someone they should be honoured he threw up in their car etc) seem to be when hes pissed and we all become bigger bellends after a drink

I 100% agree with this. Ideally some of the money would be spent on lowering ticket prices like but aye, if theres that much money in the game id rather those that actually had to perform each week got it, rather than owners/ shareholders or, particularly, agents.

This

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/08/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-striker-fashion

Interesting expose of the modern day footballer. Clearly footballers are probably just behind politicians in some people's popularity list but what does this interview tell us, if anything, about the modern day footballer.

Tells me for starters that he has the same f***ing terrible dress sense as my step son.

Thoughts on the modern day footballer? Preening prima donnas or just misunderstood?
Flash Herbert's like this muppet

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...rmaine-pennant-leaves-porsche-abandoned-after

But there are some good eggs about

http://www.mensxp.com/special-featu...tballers-who-are-known-for-their-charity.html

Must be a great life. Being paid to do what you love, being paid to stay fit & healthy. Obviously there's downsides like Richards saying in that interview there's now no hiding cos if you have a couple of nights out it shows in your stats. Then there's the chance of being despised by a nation like somebody like Cole & Terry are.

Goods outweigh the bads though. But as a stereotype footballers are thought of as arrogant, selfish, self obsessed knobs these days.

I think like in any walk of life there is good and bad. Must be hard to keep your feet on the ground, easy to look at them and say "flash wankers" but I'd hate to see what I'd be like with that much fame and money at that age. You're taking about often (obviously with some exceptions) fairly thick lads who often havent had much growing up, suddenly its 30k a week plus and fanny all over them by the age of 22. There will be a massive temptation to enjoy the newly found wealth by splashing the cash on clothes and cars and with your ego suddenly boosted and fit birds after you itd be hard not to be seen as a "playboy".

I wish more footballers would be grounded and humble, and there are some like that, but who am i kidding, id be the biggest wanker going (yes, even more than i am now before anyone says it!)
Spot on. Normal people on average wages brag about stuff and go on like tits. At least footballers have talent and money to back it up

The Premier League clubs get 70+ million just for being in the league, the top teams make 100s of millions of pounds a year.

Where should that money be going? Straight in the owners pocked?

If the players are helping them stay in the league, and getting a share of the prize pot, why shouldn't they be paid well
i agree that players should receive a percentage of the profits but currently they get too much of it. I think the majority should be used to lower ticket prices and club merchandise made more affordable. As it is the players get more and more money through wages, bonuses, sponsorships etc whilst the fans continue to pay over inflated prices.

ive no problem with players getting rewarded for success but i think they hold too much power and often have clubs over a barrel when it comes to money.

i agree that players should receive a percentage of the profits but currently they get too much of it. I think the majority should be used to lower ticket prices and club merchandise made more affordable. As it is the players get more and more money through wages, bonuses, sponsorships etc whilst the fans continue to pay over inflated prices.

ive no problem with players getting rewarded for success but i think they hold too much power and often have clubs over a barrel when it comes to money.

Clubs could afford to do that already, they are just greedy, that is the owner's fault. They aren't not lowering prices because of players wages. Look at the prices in Germany, 100 quid for a season ticket, it has nothing to do with the wages, just the greed of the clubs

Some are and some aren't! I think this mostly depends on their age! But if they continue to put diamonds in their ears and drive flashy cars, pictured in nightclubs with beautiful women with the most expensive champagne (naming nobody!) and happy to be in the papers and magazines rather than be on a football pitch sadly this is the view many people will have of them! If they weren't seen away from a football pitch more than on it and just got on with playing people may have a different view of them!

I don't get the argument for footballers getting paid too much

The Premier League clubs get 70+ million just for being in the league, the top teams make 100s of millions of pounds a year.

If the players are helping them stay in the league, and getting a share of the prize pot, why shouldn't they be paid well
Ours and most other clubs run at a loss.
Transfers are too high.
Wages are way too high.
Ticket pricing is often too high.
Not enough filtered down into lower/non league and grassroot football.

I will never understand someone who thinks tens of thousands a week pay is not obscene for any sportsman. Good luck to them but no one should be earning that kind of cash imo.

Fans use the high wages to justify hurling abuse and booing.
And this like. Not their fault and good luck to them. It is a ridiculous market and they are entitled to make the most of it. Still ridiculous mind.

Last edited:
I don't get the argument for footballers getting paid too much

It should certainly knock the price of tickets down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back