Dave Whelan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older people from his era talk and use that sort of language all the time, doesn't make them bad people. My mam says stuff all the time which the PC police would be up in arms about, doesn't make her a racist it's just words in the wrong time frame
wise words indeed

I totally understand the argument that he's an 80 yr old guy and so from a different generation, my Gran used to come out with some corking stuff when she was 80 as well, but she wasn't the chairman of a football club who has been in that role for the last 20 years while attitudes and expectations have noticeably shifted in that profession.

What I'm saying is being old is understandable but not really a total 'get out of jail free card' for a man like Whelan, he can't just go around saying whatever he used to say back in the 50's and be let off because of his age, or not understand why the press of 2014 might question it.

I totally understand the argument that he's an 80 yr old guy and so from a different generation, my Gran used to come out with some corking stuff when she was 80 as well, but she wasn't the chairman of a football club who has been in that role for the last 20 years while attitudes and expectations have noticeably shifted in that profession.

What I'm saying is being old is understandable but not really a total 'get out of jail free card' for a man like Whelan, he can't just go around saying whatever he used to say back in the 50's and be let off because of his age, or not understand why the press of 2014 might question it.

But to say that he should be kicked out of football etc is just plain stupid would you not agree

But to say that he should be kicked out of football etc is just plain stupid would you not agree

Yeah, of course, there's much worse things said and done in football than an old man trotting out some outdated stereotypes, but there's always gonna be an overreaction by some people no matter what the situation.

As far as I can tell the general consensus has been for him to withdraw his comments, maybe reaffirm his apology (the apology that I read seemed a bit half-arsed and muddled, one of those 'if you took my words the wrong way then I'm sorry' sort of apologies so maybe that makes sense) and some calling for him to attend some sort of diversity training, similar to what Mackay has.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum

50's racism was bad, no doubt but as usual the pendulum swings too far the other way and things turn into a witch-hunt and reverse fanaticism takes over.

We've also seen positive discrimination and it isn't particularly pleasing for anyone either

Fanaticism: -

the quality of being fanatical.
"the dangers of religious fanaticism"
synonyms: zealotry, zeal, extremism, militancy, sectarianism, fundamentalism,bigotry, dogmatism, chauvinism, radicalism, immoderation

His was extreme though not just a throw away comment that in all honesty imo wasnt even that bad.
Ah right. Don't know the full story was just in the back of my head. Its all a storm in a tea cup for me. Sports media have had a quiet few days so need blood. There'll be some dodgy ref to talk about again by Monday.

What a plum the bloke is. Fantastic stuff - hiring Malky and then backing him by saying loads of daft things himself :lol: Hilarious.

It is a stupid thing to do and say, but why do people get outraged all the time.

He is from a different generation.

People must have really easy lives, with no real problems, it they get offended by stuff like this.
So you don't think the groovy combo of him and Malky will put people off signing for the club? :lol:

There BBC got a few complaints because someone used the word handicapped, when you're meant to say disabled.

Fookin world's gone mad.

It's turned into a sad and pathetic place where too many folks actually delight in being victims of their own perceived sleights or what they've been told be 'upset' about by the PC nutcases.

Fookin world's gone mad.

It's turned into a sad and pathetic place where too many folks actually delight in being victims of their own perceived sleights or what they've been told be 'upset' about by the PC nutcases.
Wow. Are you being sarcastic or are you just employing a clicheometer to write your posts?

It's getting ridiculous, it seems we have created a culture where people can't wait to pull someone up on commentsend which might be seen as racist or prejudice yet sit back and watch children get raped and molested and stand by while people are beheaded, or murdered by rocket attacks. Why dont there make a stand about these issues as in the big scheme of things it would be something worth shouting about.

Complete agree marra.

Jihadi John is on 8 out of 10 Cats tonight. Meanwhile, Dave Whelan will have to watch it on his TV in prison, where he starts his life sentence for saying bad things.

imo that's ridiculous. If anything, people should condemn terrorists.

Though there shouldn't be TVs in prisons, but that's for another day. They're like holiday camps imo. Playstations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back