Decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson!

Striker
I like Poyet and hope he will be given the opportunity to succeed but putting the bigger picture stuff aside, something happened today that seems to happen with every manager when under pressure. He made decisions that I don't think anyone else in the ground would have made.

It seemed obvious to me that the changes to make were Gomez and Altidore on (our only two attacking options really) for Larsson and Buckley. Instead he took off Johnson and Rodwell which I am pretty sure 99% of people would not have done.

I can recall this happening clearly with Reid, Bruce, O'Neill and Keane when under pressure too. Decisions being made which just seem totally unexpected and ignoring what seems glaringly obvious to everyone else. I always thought with Reid it was a "fuck you" to the fans because he'd rather lose on his own terms than admit the crowd knew best.

Thoughts? Is it just something that crops up in crisis mode?......not thinking clearly etc?

the problem isn't Poyet

I never said it was.

I agree that he doesn't have anything like the required quality/options......but even out of what is available there seemed an obvious choice to be made, and he made a different one.

The post isn't specifically about Poyet, I'm more curious why multiple managers seem to make bizarre decisions that no one else agrees with when things are tough.

Anyone for larsson would have been my first sub.

I generally don't ind him but he was shocking today and offering nothing going forward at all. Can't get my head around him and Buckley lasting the game or what Poyet was thinking.

Larrson is first on the team sheet - another Poyet balls up

I disagree, he usually works very, very hard defensively which is a big benefit. Poyet pinpointed him early as one of the players who immediately "got" his system/style. I see why he plays him, especially against the likes of Arsenal.....it just so happened that today they were rubbish and he needed someone out there to exploit it instead of contain them.

Gomez for Larsson, Gomez for Rodwell - 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. If we had the sub's I 'd have taken them both off.

As for Johnson he is capable of a bit of magic but I think Poyet prefers Buckley's pace and he'd rather have that in the team so he can get up and down the pitch. Problem with Johnson he runs like he's pulling a caravan. Being a traditional flying winger isn't Johnson's game but I think that's what Poyet seems to prefer ...

I like Poyet and hope he will be given the opportunity to succeed but putting the bigger picture stuff aside, something happened today that seems to happen with every manager when under pressure. He made decisions that I don't think anyone else in the ground would have made.

It seemed obvious to me that the changes to make were Gomez and Altidore on (our only two attacking options really) for Larsson and Buckley. Instead he took off Johnson and Rodwell which I am pretty sure 99% of people would not have done.

I can recall this happening clearly with Reid, Bruce, O'Neill and Keane when under pressure too. Decisions being made which just seem totally unexpected and ignoring what seems glaringly obvious to everyone else. I always thought with Reid it was a "fuck you" to the fans because he'd rather lose on his own terms than admit the crowd knew best.

Thoughts? Is it just something that crops up in crisis mode?......not thinking clearly etc?
I thought we played well after the subs, or think there are a lot of reactionary finger pointers on here looking for a scapegoat. Looking to make a mountain out of a molehill.
We lost to Arsenal not Burnley. And what's more we gave them a good game, it was only two sloppy perhaps nervous (human) errors that cost us. We were the better team for the last 30 mins.

I thought we played well after the subs, or think there are a lot of reactionary finger pointers on here looking for a scapegoat. Looking to make a mountain out of a molehill.
We lost to Arsenal not Burnley. And what's more we gave them a good game, it was only two sloppy perhaps nervous (human) errors that cost us. We were the better team for the last 30 mins.

We had a lot of the ball, but that's because they decided to try and hang on and dropped deep. I think Johnson and Rodwell offer better chance of doing something with the possession than Larsson and Buckley.......that's the difference.

I'd not have played Brown or Mannone today either and neither can play next week.......totally wrecked confidence wise.

We had a lot of the ball, but that's because they decided to try and hang on and dropped deep. I think Johnson and Rodwell offer better chance of doing something with the possession than Larsson and Buckley.......that's the difference.

I'd not have played Brown or Mannone today either and neither can play next week.......totally wrecked confidence wise.
But Larsson is very effective at gaining /maintaining possession. He closes the ball down and shows hunger which rubs off on the other players.
Just my opinion but I think some people care too much about what a player does when he has the ball to notice how important play off the ball is.

But Larsson is very effective at gaining /maintaining possession. He closes the ball down and shows hunger which rubs off on the other players.
Just my opinion but I think some people care too much about what a player does when he has the ball to notice how important play off the ball is.

I'm not saying he isn't valuable. I just think since they'd retreated anyway we might have been better off with someone who can use rather than win the ball.

Fairly sure if you took a poll the vast majority would not have had either going off at that stage..

I didn't say I agreed with it, it's just not surprising (as it happens regularly ebough).

I'm not sure it's a sign of Poyet under pressure, he just doesn't think either of them have 90 minutes in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back