Dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had it. Awful thing, especially for those who are close and look after them when they go off the rails. I always feel guilty that I didn't move back to Ebgland and give my mam a hand but by then I had settled, married and had two little kids.

Did at least get back to see him for the last month. Mentioned on here before that the last coherent conversation was about SAFC..typical, it was about the only thing we ever agreed on. Told me that Raich Carter was the best player he ever saw..and he saw more than 65 years of it..after that he never really was lucid again. Always imagine him in that faraway place cheering some goal by the lads as a young man before he finally died

picked up a lass from whitley earlier today & took her to jarrow, while on the way she was saying her mam had dementia & she was visiting her, f***ing hell she got to the house & her mother freaked out , started calling her names & everything, throwing things at her & called the police & said she was a burglar :eek:, i couldn't believe it , ( never known anyone with it tbh ) anyway the lass was f***ing heartbroken & asked if i could just take her back, she said she didn't know if she had enough cash, i just gave her a lift back gratis like ( well , was going back anyway, she said she would drop the fare off at the office for me , i told her not to bother , its alreet ) i felt so f***ing sorry for her, her xmas i ruined , i honestly never knew people with dementia actually went on like that , that was the rest of my day ruined, cant stop thinking about the poor lass :( so upsetting her mam cant remember who she is now like , what a shame :(, hope none of my parents get this mind, & fell sorry for anyone's who have
Well done on the giving the lass a lift my mates mam had it was horrible to see

picked up a lass from whitley earlier today & took her to jarrow, while on the way she was saying her mam had dementia & she was visiting her, f***ing hell she got to the house & her mother freaked out , started calling her names & everything, throwing things at her & called the police & said she was a burglar :eek:, i couldn't believe it , ( never known anyone with it tbh ) anyway the lass was f***ing heartbroken & asked if i could just take her back, she said she didn't know if she had enough cash, i just gave her a lift back gratis like ( well , was going back anyway, she said she would drop the fare off at the office for me , i told her not to bother , its alreet ) i felt so f***ing sorry for her, her xmas i ruined , i honestly never knew people with dementia actually went on like that , that was the rest of my day ruined, cant stop thinking about the poor lass :( so upsetting her mam cant remember who she is now like , what a shame :(, hope none of my parents get this mind, & fell sorry for anyone's who have
Perhaps if you google it you will know about it

My sister in law has just been diagnosed with it, she is 59. My brother in law has had to pack in work to look after her.
Terrible thing and hard times for them.

Thing is my mam is still quite healthy for 80, so it will get worse and worse I imagine.
that lasses mam was 85 , she was on about it in the car on the way over, she wont let the support workers in either to make he meals or owt , so shes lost a shitload of weight , the lass was concerned ( obviously) but she can do fuck all

My sister in law has just been diagnosed with it, she is 59. My brother in law has had to pack in work to look after her.
Terrible thing and hard times for them.
hope they get sorted mate , honestly

Well done on the giving the lass a lift my mates mam had it was horrible to see
honestly mate, i have had "drugged up wankers" , "pissed up arseholes" in my car, never sen owt like this mind

that lasses mam was 85 , she was on about it in the car on the way over, she wont let the support workers in either to make he meals or owt , so shes lost a shitload of weight , the lass was concerned ( obviously) but she can do fuck all

hope they get sorted mate , honestly
My ma is same, won't have help of anyone, cancels appointments without telling us. I go to take her and it's cancelled.

My mam has it, had it just gone 3 years now. Doc said there was always a chance she would get it later in life but due to Encephalitis in 2008 it's brought it on early. (she's 57) Still recognising people she knows and we can have a stuttered conversation with her although she doesn't necessarily have an idea what you've been talking about. She has her own made up words sometimes when she can't get the word out that she means, with that comes anger and frustration. It's absolutely awful to see her like this and I know she is only going to get worse.

My grandma had it, became violent with it. I had to lie to her for her to get in an ambulance...she thought she was going to get her blood pressure took after being angry....if she didn't go the police were gonna be called.....she went in a home and died within three months....I still blame myself. Terrible disease.

I work away a lot so my mrs bears the brunt of most of it, ashamed to say it but I look forward to going away sometimes. I know I will have to leave work in coming years to help her.

There's nowt to feel ashamed about marra you've got to do what you've got to do, as long as your Mrs knows about the memory protection service (who are really good by the way) and the help social services offer your Mam will be ok, just don't take too much on yourselves, you need that support network around you.

There's nowt to feel ashamed about marra you've got to do what you've got to do, as long as your Mrs knows about the memory protection service (who are really good by the way) and the help social services offer your Mam will be ok, just don't take too much on yourselves, you need that support network around you.
Cheers I will look into this

We are too, started earlier this year and he's gone downhill quite quickly. Good days and bad days.

Sorry to hear that marra, like i've just put in another post don't take too much on yourselves, use the memory protection team and social services you'll make yourselves poorly if you try and do too much.

I know she is only going to get worse.

Unfortunately so & it is horrible to see a person deteriorate into basically a shell of their former self. I try & help my missus with her ma but it is very,very difficult. God forbid I end up like that. Hopefully a nice sudden peaceful end for me with all me faculties intact.

Awful, awful disease.

To see the people you love no longer able to recognise the people that are so dear to them is heartbreaking.

My Dad got it when he was only 50, within a year he couldn't hold a coherent conversation.

Breaks my heart.

His Mam, my Gran, got it about 70. That's bad enough but at least she got to see her grandkids grow up.

I hope for my wife and son's sake as much as my own they don't have to cope with me going through it at a young age, and if you could grant me one wish in the world it'd be that it's not something I've passed on to my little un.

Nice touch @johnna one of the better posters on here imo
oy ya twat , ya ruining me rep :lol: ;)

Awful, awful disease.

To see the people you love no longer able to recognise the people that are so dear to them is heartbreaking.

My Dad got it when he was only 50, within a year he couldn't hold a coherent conversation.

Breaks my heart.

His Mam, my Gran, got it about 70. That's bad enough but at least she got to see her grandkids grow up.

I hope for my wife and son's sake as much as my own they don't have to cope with me going through it at a young age, and if you could grant me one wish in the world it'd be that it's not something I've passed on to my little un.
& if im honest , that's what f***ing "cut me to the core" she was crying all the way back, im a bloke so just had the "something in my eye" syndrome gannin on ;), was wondering fmy mam/dad would never remember me , shocking stuff mind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back