Depression

how can you tell if you have it or just are feeling down lots

Thats a very good question. You hear it all the time people saying they 'depressed' when really they just pissed off and having a shit time. I go in moods and have my head up my arse now and again but for me the depression would mostly kick in when everything was going well in life and I had nothing to complain about.
I posted earlier that unless youve had it its very hard to understand. If you're worried go talk to someone mate. Its a bastard of a thing to live with and would need to be addressed but its not all tablets and slippery slopes.
Plenty people who can help these days.

Anyone mind sharing their experience of citalopram 20mg please, especially side effects or how it affects you when its stopped.

gp wants me to start it, but scares the shit out of me reading some of the reported side effects etc.
Has helped me enormously, but everyone's experiences vary. When I went on them this last time I ended up being banged up to 40mg as I was all over the shop. Problem is they take a few weeks to really kick in so you're still vulnerable.
Have missed meds a few times, and can def see my mood slip back when I do, however the past week or so I missed 3 days and didnt feel to bad. Might be time to get on a reduced dose.

the thing about side effects is they will vary hugely depending on the person. the usual side effects of the SSRI group for men are the sexual ones, but this can even be a bonus sometimes if you dont mind longer sex sessions.
Fluoxetine, I could have cracked paving slabs no bother, but could I get off, could I fuck. :lol:
Never thought I'd have seen the day I gave up a shag or wank cos I was bored, but there you go

its a horrible thing to have. I once again cant leave the house.
Hope your ok mate. PM me if your ever down

Ive had recent upheaval in life and struggled. Was off work and sick of my life on tuesday afternoon, just lay in bed feeling sick

Can someone elaborate on Sertraline a bit, i've got a prescription for it here and don't like what i've read here.

Take it mate. It's a good one. It's the drug that, well, saved me when I was battling it. I took Fluoxetine first which sent me batty...then Sertraline, it starter to level my mind out within days and allowed me to take control again.

Couple of pointers though. As the same with all of these drugs - don't stop taking them. In my experience with sertraline if you happen to forget one day you'll know about it. Nothing bad happens as such but I got quite dizzy and generally felt odd if I forgot. Second one (as mentioned by others) is from my experience trying to shoot your load is impossible during sex. Had it's positives as I got a girlfriend during the back end of me taking the meds and I looked like a proper boss the first time we had sex but after that it became highly irritating. :lol:

Can't speak for others but was addicted to cocaine for about 3 years, which while not being the cause of my depression, it certainly didn't help.

Oh for fucks sake. Your gonna have have to come up with a few decent stories if you expect us to beleive you were addicted for three years.

I did it for 20 years straight but was only addicted for the first six months

What sort of counselling? I had an hour a fortnight chatting to some wifie, didn't find it half as useful as Talking Changes CBT work.

This was for Anxiety rather than Depression I hasten to add.

Totally agree!

I haven't read the whole 22 pages yet and I am sure lots have given the same advice but CBT is fantastic. I suffered from wide ranging clinical, intense anxiety for 20 years and took 2 x 20 1 hour sessions over 18 months in CBT and it has been life changer, quite literally. Its free on the NHS now through time to change or similar.

Mental illness in whatever guise can be managed successfully with the right guidance but it takes time, understanding and effort on your behalf. All the best and stay strong OP!

Oh and yeah I know "Fuck off mag".

Just read through the whole thread today, some interesting stuff and for me personally it was excellent to see others speak about there "beer fear". First time I have heard that expression nor have heard anyone describe kind of the way I would feel.

I was diagnosed with it around 7 years ago although I had been living with it since quite young. Symptons included many that have been said on here, particually self esteem stuff (could never look at my self in the eye's, made me feel rotten) which meant others found it very difficult to understand due to having many loved ones, nice friends etc..

Alcohol has never agreed with me, I find it incredibly self destructive. Not liking myself whilst being drunk would consist of doing as much stuff that a sober me would be as embarresed about as possible before trying to get myself beat up.

The anti depresants helped slightly for a short amount of time with the side effects of making me slightly childish and soppy. When I felt I had 0 energy come 1pm I stopped taking them.

2 counciling sessions were of use before I felt I was becomming a nuisense to that persons time.

I did start to excercise which helped in some sense and gave my day some resemblence of structure.

Whilst I would never recommend it, the times I remember being honestly happy were extasy induced, it struck perfect for me and is almost an exact opposite of what I would describe my normal feelings as. I was never at any point an addict nor do i believe it enduced any of my problems as I have had less than 15 overall and never within weeks of each.

The only thing that changed me was an absolute 1 in a million act of god that flipped a switch in my head. It also stops me from going past a line of being down now.

I wish anyone that suffers from it the very best of luck.

Fluoxetine, I could have cracked paving slabs no bother, but could I get off, could I fuck. :lol:
Never thought I'd have seen the day I gave up a shag or wank cos I was bored, but there you go

Seroxat (Generic name Paroxetine I think was the one I was on). I could shag for hours but the same problem as regards final result. The women love it but can be annoying.

Seroxat (Generic name Paroxetine I think was the one I was on). I could shag for hours but the same problem as regards final result. The women love it but can be annoying.
That also gave me some very weird dreams - one night i thought i'd woken up, to lie there and realise i was still dreaming, this went on for what seemed like an hour
didnt dare sleep for 2 days after

Because they have such low self confidence that they can only make themselves feel better by belittling someone else.
Generally the people who have insulted me have been fat and ugly like, especially a lass i was in a training scheme with once, loved telling me i'm a freak and that she wouldn't touch me with a barge pole when she was a hideous herself.

Back