Do you think Short, Congerton and Poyet are on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we started to go down the right track, but then failing to sign/replace Borini was a massive mistake and left us with the feeblest strike force in the league. The draws were a consequence - we could have been comfortably mid-table but for that , and the occasional extra goal that would have been worth two points every time.

So - we wasted half a season, and that then effects morale, confidence and supporters patience. We now need to see if we can get back on track with the addition of Defoe (and, please God, a creative midfielder in the next few days).

compare them after the next 4 games will give a better picture , i feel you are feeling similar to many and its not looking good

Fortunes can change for no apparent reason, as they did last season and I fear we may be hoping that's the case again as there's currently not a lot to suggest we've got a coherent style and enthused players.

From the matches I've seen we are well on our way to become a force. I can see what Gus wants us to play, but too many times the players are missing the pass that would get us on the attack. That in my opinion is down to confidence and the players. The system appears fine, if we have the personel to play it. We are very hard to beat but are struggling to make attacking moves matter. We must get away from the thinking 4-4-2 is the way forward. Most teams that play that system get torn apart in midfield and never have the ball. Look to Englands woes for the last god knows how many years, the days of 442 are gone. Bossing a midfield is the only way now. The new 3 5 2 system I can see working, once its bedded in.

Yes, I fully believe we are on the right track. Compare this to the De Fanti/Di Canio or the MON era, I never felt we were really going anywhere under these people. Short's got it right with these two guys. They've got their heads screwed on and they're looking to the future.
By signing a 32 year old?

Are they short sighted?

They are having to make up for several years worth poor decisions in the transfer market.
By continuing the trend?

Last edited:
It has been a mess, so why are people expecting us to be suddenly amazing and winning loads of games a year later?

I'm answering the question: are we on the right track? And it is my belief that we are. Were we on the wrong track with MON? Yes. PDC/De Fanti? Yes. This track we're on now looks a lot better to me.

Time to "Ignore" this clown's shoe

From the matches I've seen we are well on our way to become a force. I can see what Gus wants us to play, but too many times the players are missing the pass that would get us on the attack. That in my opinion is down to confidence and the players. The system appears fine, if we have the personel to play it. We are very hard to beat but are struggling to make attacking moves matter. We must get away from the thinking 4-4-2 is the way forward. Most teams that play that system get torn apart in midfield and never have the ball. Look to Englands woes for the last god knows how many years, the days of 442 are gone. Bossing a midfield is the only way now. The new 3 5 2 system I can see working, once its bedded in.

We haven't played 442 for a long time so I don't know why you're mentioning that. There's plenty of ways to "boss" the midfield but by far the most effective is to sign quality midfielders.

starnge bringing defoe in to play 2 up top

Everything always looks like an after thought to me. THE preferred system was 433 and Gus moved heaven and earth to try and get the man who could make it work. Also, the signing of Rodwell appears to be misguided....he doesn't look to be the replacement for Ki....and these were the two players identified by Congerton as needing replacing just to stand still. There should have been a contingency plan if 433 was the way forward.....there may have been, but that didn't come to fruition either so in effect we had a system without the personnel to play it. Fast forward 6 months and the system is out of the window, Wickham is dumped to the bench, Johnson is moved inside and the full backs suddenly become wing backs......in effect another system without the personnel to play it. Sorry, but this doesn't appear to me to be the thinking of a rational person.

We haven't played 442 for a long time so I don't know why you're mentioning that. There's plenty of ways to "boss" the midfield but by far the most effective is to sign quality midfielders.

Mentioning 442 because a lot on here think reverting to that system is the answer.

Is there a masterplan......do they just need more time. Basically do you think they are competent at what they do. Short has been Chairman since October 2011.....Congerton has been in his role since March last year and Gus since October 2013.

To win big, first you need to lose big....right now we're losing big! I expect a turnaround any day now!!

Everything always looks like an after thought to me. THE preferred system was 433 and Gus moved heaven and earth to try and get the man who could make it work. Also, the signing of Rodwell appears to be misguided....he doesn't look to be the replacement for Ki....and these were the two players identified by Congerton as needing replacing just to stand still. There should have been a contingency plan if 433 was the way forward.....there may have been, but that didn't come to fruition either so in effect we had a system without the personnel to play it. Fast forward 6 months and the system is out of the window, Wickham is dumped to the bench, Johnson is moved inside and the full backs suddenly become wing backs......in effect another system without the personnel to play it. Sorry, but this doesn't appear to me to be the thinking of a rational person.
said it last week but hes a worry is Gus , everything seems a mismatch and im bricking it for Saturday and expecting the worst unfortunately , a defeat is unthinkable and could bring his time here to a sharp end , some of the players he has brought in (!) are below par for this league and the ones wh maybe could give us a change are left sitting on the bench a la Fulham , he doesnt seem to know what to do

Mentioning 442 because a lot on here think reverting to that system is the answer.

To be fair ANY system can work if you have the right players for it. If our CB's weren't slow and error-prone we wouldn't need to protect them with a third CM so perhaps we could go 442....or at the very least 4411. If we had a left-sided forward we could comfortably play 433. If our CB's weren't slow and error-prone and our full backs were genuine wing backs 352 would be the way forward.......I think you can get my drift here.......we are trying to shoehorn a system onto our players when in reality we don't have the right players to play any system effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back