Does the brain store everything you've ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAshley

Striker
Chemical Brothers being on at Glastonbury has reminded me of the time when I had sleep paralysis, I had the song 'block rocking beats' going on in my head and I was desperately trying to get out of the paralysis to turn it off on a hi fi I didn't even have. Anyway the weird thing about it was the song was absolutely beat perfect, obviously I had heard the song before but don't think I've ever properly listened to it at any point in my life so it amazed me my brain could play it exactly how it sounds.

Sorry for the boring thread.

Chemical Brothers being on at Glastonbury has reminded me of the time when I had sleep paralysis, I had the song 'block rocking beats' going on in my head and I was desperately trying to get out of the paralysis to turn it off on a hi fi I didn't even have. Anyway the weird thing about it was the song was absolutely beat perfect, obviously I had heard the song before but don't think I've ever properly listened to it at any point in my life so it amazed me my brain could play it exactly how it sounds.

Thank christ it doesnt store everything i`ve ever read ;)

Strangely enough, I know what you mean as even just last week I had a song in my head while asleepish and it felt like it was on the radio yet obviously wasn't. Not the first time it's happened ower the years but just the strange way a brain works seeing as we don't use 100% of it anyway!

no, once it's full it deletes stuff to make way for new info.
But what gets deleted is entirely random & could be something important like how to walk.

Anar you may be joking but It never gets full and deletes stuff,. It's just you can't recall everything directly but something else may trigger that memory somehow. Hence how the nostalgic threads on here can be popular as they trigger old memories (normally good ones) :cool:

So someone might come up to you & say, did you know..........
and then you'd just collapse cos you've forgotten how to walk

That's simply due to being pissed! :lol: Luckily it's not deleted forever and it's simply gone in the Recycle Bin ;)

I find myself having proper high level intellectual stuff in my dreams like the odd one where I'm sort of talking like a professor about some technical process and it's all totally plausible but well above anything I know at the minute. Weird

From my limited remembering of A-Level Psychology the Atkinson-Shiffrin (1971) model of memory has short and long term memory and shows the pathways between the two. It absolutely doesn't remember everything as your brain filters loads out and then not everything that enters the STM will be committed to LTM, repetition is needed unless something is so important you need only see/hear it once.

I've always been of the opinion it stores everything...... those who claim to have eidetic/photographic memories don't have better memories just better/different access

My brain filters out everything our lass says, she's constantly asking me what have I just said in a git huffy voice and i never have a bastard clue. It goes in one ear and straight out the other.

no, once it's full it deletes stuff to make way for new info.
But what gets deleted is entirely random & could be something important like how to walk.

So someone might come up to you & say, did you know..........
and then you'd just collapse cos you've forgotten how to walk.

Is that you Alexei?

My first wife got hit by a bus and knocked unconscious but was pretty much ok otherwise. When I got to the hospital the nurse asked me what her address was as she had given three in her confused state. I knew one as her parents old house but neither of the others meant anything.
When her Mother got there she explained that they were her two Nanas addresses. One of them had died when the wife was five so she had no idea how she knew it. When we got home and she was on the mend she could no longer recall either.
Amazing what info the brain stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back