Don't know what was in it

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well that saved the witch hunt ...... 10 out of 10 for owning up sir ........ I seem to remember you were also suitably apologetic and remorseful very quickly after posting?
My thread got pulled very quickly. I said similar things on FB but ended up removing my comments and apologising. I still stand by the Diana Syndrome comparison though.

Hopefully the plod won't come after you Dave.
Still think it's ridiculous that you can't have free speech in a democratic country.

Its not about daft Harry.They are lowlifes.They could'nt give a toss about acceptable behaviour.They probably think it makes them better SAFC fans to push the limits of abuse.
How does not giving a fuck/making fun about fans of other teams dying make you a lowlife? Can everybody on here say that, hand on heart, they never made or laughed at a single joke about Hillsborough or Bradford?

My thread got pulled very quickly. I said similar things on FB but ended up removing my comments and apologising. I still stand by the Diana Syndrome comparison though.

Still think it's ridiculous that you can't have free speech in a democratic country.
Unless someone is being libelous just let them get on with it imo. At the end of the day someone acting like a **** should probably get them ostracised by those around them but shouldn't land them in the dock.

How does not giving a fuck/making fun about fans of other teams dying make you a lowlife? Can everybody on here say that, hand on heart, they never made or laughed at a single joke about Hillsborough or Bradford?
Me. Not because I'm a good person or anything, I was just a bairn when they happened.

Unless someone is being libelous just let them get on with it imo. At the end of the day someone acting like a **** should probably get them ostracised by those around them but shouldn't land them in the dock.

Me. Not because I'm a good person or anything, I was just a bairn when they happened.
Fair enough. We were in the pub that night (Hillsborough) and there were that many jokes flying about that a scouser overheard and kicked reet off.

I'm sitting in a room with 3 mags now. If they died in an accident I'm sure I'd join in the mourning and go to the funeral, but people I don't know? Nah, not in the slightest.

Should someone be able to set up loads of anonymous social media accounts and use them to post constant hateful falsehoods about other individuals with impunity? Should a recently bereaved family have to endure a bombardment of vicious slurs about the deceased with no recourse to the law?

Almost everyone would say "no" , and as soon as they do it's an acceptance that there has to be a line drawn somewhere regarding what can be said or not without breaking the law, it just depends where the line is drawn. This case is probably borderline, reading the Malicious Communications Act, but he hasn't been found guilty yet. The police probably felt it was right to charge him with the offence given the number of complaints they presumably received.

What did you say about this?
Something about public grieving for people you've never met because it gains you internet kudos, rather than genuinely being upset.

Should someone be able to set up loads of anonymous social media accounts and use them to post constant hateful falsehoods about other individuals with impunity? Should a recently bereaved family have to endure a bombardment of vicious slurs about the deceased with no recourse to the law?

Almost everyone would say "no" , and as soon as they do it's an acceptance that there has to be a line drawn somewhere regarding what can be said or not without breaking the law, it just depends where the line is drawn. This case is probably borderline, reading the Malicious Communications Act, but he hasn't been found guilty yet. The police probably felt it was right to charge him with the offence given the number of complaints they presumably received.
I actually went further than him but I was drunk and it was removed anyway.

Last edited:
I have to say I agree, there is something about all this that makes me think of the 'grief junkie' insult that is often said about Liverpool fans. Also a poster on here was saying he was at the memorial at st James with his Sunderland scarf on and a mag thanked him for coming. I bet the mag in question didn't even know either of the victims.
Something about public grieving for people you've never met because it gains you internet kudos, rather than genuinely being upset.

Me. Watched both events unfold live on TV, no way I could joke about them after witnessing that.

As for this young 'un, there seems to be loads coming out in his defence on twitter. Surely they can accept that if the authorities have received a huge number of complaints (which they will have done as this young un's tweets were RT'd by big Mag following accounts) then they have to investigate?

I actually went further than him but I was drunk and it was removed anyway.

It wasn't about that, it was about your claim that "you can't have free speech in a democratic country". Even in the USA where freedom of speech is enshrined in the constitution there are numerous exceptions.

You could have complete freedom of speech, but it would likely be f***ing horrible.

It's not "grieving". It's called compassion. Compassion for our fellow humans. It's one of the things that makes us the superior species.
Ok, so the next time a footy fan is killed due to a criminal act (drink driving for example) are we gonna start a fund and have a memorial service? That was my point. This kind of thing happens every day, but because this is so high profile it's somehow been elevated to national mourning status. Next thing they'll be building statues of these two fellas.

Ok, so the next time a footy fan is killed due to a criminal act (drink driving for example) are we gonna start a fund and have a memorial service? That was my point. This kind of thing happens every day, but because this is so high profile it's somehow been elevated to national mourning status. Next thing they'll be building statues of these two fellas.

I agree. I stated on the other thread that a few years ago one of our fans got knocked down and killed on his way home from the match and there was nothing like this in response. I know this is more high profile, but it's equally as tragic. I just think there has been a bit of a bandwagon here.

Bodies aren't even home yet and you are making tactless remarks. Being a tit doesn't give you kudos either.

I agree. I stated on the other thread that a few years ago one of our fans got knocked down and killed on his way home from the match and there was nothing like this in response. I know this is more high profile, but it's equally as tragic. I just think there has been a bit of a bandwagon here.
Well yes there obviously was a "bandwagon" because the amount has gone from £100 to £30k but so what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back