Drinking in View of the Pitch E-Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are looking at this too literally as to how they perceive it will affect their personal experience. My reasons for supporting this change are primarily the three listed in the e-petition shown below. Basically, I don't see how the council and Club aren't best placed to make these decisions. Clubs like Hartlepool etc could do with earning an extra few grand a year and paying out a few grand less in stewards.

I don't necessarily want to drink during the game, but I want to be trusted to have the choice.

"This law should be amended for the following reasons:

Discriminatory - This discriminates against football fans and reeks of class bias.

Anti-Competitive - The law as it stands clearly gives other sports clubs e.g. rugby clubs, an unfair competitive advantage over football clubs in their sales of hospitality and sponsorship packages especially when they share a city or even a stadium.

Outdated - Football has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. The reason for the implementation of the act is no longer valid.

The decision on which games and which areas should be granted a license should be left to the local authority who understand any risks rather than a blanket ban."

It is extra drink, because no one would just grab "1 drink" - they'd grab 3 or 4 to prevent them running back and forth and within the 3 or 4 drinks some people can hack it, some people can't. And the people who can't are breaching yet another law within the Sporting Events Act by being drunk within a Football ground.

It is probably impossible to re-consider the law unless they'd re-consider the Entering a Football Ground whilst intoxicated law also.
A quote from an attendee at today's FSF forum: "As football fans we face a level of treatment not afforded to other citizens in our society. I can't drink a beer at football but a rugby fan can drink at rugby pitch side. An attendee at a concert at the Emirates can drink a beer during the concert but an Arsenal fan cannot. Yet Home Office research shows that the restriction on alcohol at games, hence forcing faster drinking before the game in a condensed time period, and also at half time, actually creates flashpoints by virtue of a deadline. The imposition of extra regulation increases the risk to fans.

Read more: http://yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/19455/criminalisation-oxford-united-fans?page=1#ixzz3HlT1t1QD"

Last edited:

People are looking at this too literally as to how they perceive it will affect their personal experience. My reasons for supporting this change are primarily the three listed in the e-petition shown below. Basically, I don't see how the council and Club aren't best placed to make these decisions. Clubs like Hartlepool etc could do with earning an extra few grand a year and paying out a few grand less in stewards.

I don't necessarily want to drink during the game, but I want to be trusted to have the choice.

"This law should be amended for the following reasons:

Discriminatory - This discriminates against football fans and reeks of class bias.

Anti-Competitive - The law as it stands clearly gives other sports clubs e.g. rugby clubs, an unfair competitive advantage over football clubs in their sales of hospitality and sponsorship packages especially when they share a city or even a stadium.

Outdated - Football has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. The reason for the implementation of the act is no longer valid.

The decision on which games and which areas should be granted a license should be left to the local authority who understand any risks rather than a blanket ban."

A quote from an attendee at today's FSF forum: "As football fans we face a level of treatment not afforded to other citizens in our society. I can't drink a beer at football but a rugby fan can drink at rugby pitch side. An attendee at a concert at the Emirates can drink a beer during the concert but an Arsenal fan cannot. Yet Home Office research shows that the restriction on alcohol at games, hence forcing faster drinking before the game in a condensed time period, and also at half time, actually creates flashpoints by virtue of a deadline. The imposition of extra regulation increases the risk to fans.

Read more: http://yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/19455/criminalisation-oxford-united-fans?page=1#ixzz3HlT1t1QD"

Why do you persist with an argument with won't succeed? Almost 90% of hooliganism is fueled with alcohol. Do you think the idiot woke 1 day and decided today 'I shall punch a horse' b
Football has hooligan firms, GSE, Seaburn Casuals etc. There's no such things in Rugby - Ben Flower the other week is a good example - Why do you think the Police dropped his case ;)

There is an opportunity to amend the crazy law about drinking in view of the pitch. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71290. Only 100,000 signatures required
Complete waste of time this like

1,000,000 signatures wouldn't make an ounce of difference

It's been nearly 20 years since the government put bus lanes on roads in an attempt to get people out of cars and on buses. It hasn't worked at all, in fact it's spectacularly backfired, the whole driving nation has said a massive fuck you, 'we'd rather have to get out of bed earlier'. It's almost been a social revolution. In 2014, more people are driving and the bus lanes are more empty all day than they've ever been. The (different) government will never admit defeat though.

Any signing a petrol, smoking or alcohol related petition is the equivalent of asking to have 30 seconds taken off the length of you life. Just like this reply.

Petition to maximise off the leash, henpecked blokes' window of opportunity to binge drink.

Something wrong with people if they can't go 45-90 minutes without a drink on a Saturday afternoon ffs.

A matchday experience at the SoL is shit enough at the minute without being covered in cheap lager.

Why can't someone walk into the SOL at 2.50, have two or three pints over the 90mins and then go home? Surely thats responsible drinking?

As other sports show; there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a drink while watching a sporting event. IMO people should be allowed to take their drinks to their seats and be treated as adults.

The problem we have is; a small minority totally spoil it for the rest and we are left all tarred with the same brush. Those that chuck beer in the air on concourses just ruin the matchday experience for the rest as the police/stewards are forced to take action.

Just look at the farcical situation surrounding 'dry trains'. Why should someone be stopped when drinking responsibly, purely because a group of football fans are pissed and acting like twats? Why should people be treated like criminals and have their bags searched because football fans are onboard? Simply fling those wankers off the train and allow the rest of the train to go on with their normal routine.

It might be because I'm getting older, but I'm f***ing sick of some of the clowns that attach themselves to football. Football has moved on a lot since the 80's and those who still think anti-social behaviour is acceptable, need to either move on or be forced out of the game.

Why do you persist with an argument with won't succeed? Almost 90% of hooliganism is fueled with alcohol. Do you think the idiot woke 1 day and decided today 'I shall punch a horse' b
Football has hooligan firms, GSE, Seaburn Casuals etc. There's no such things in Rugby - Ben Flower the other week is a good example - Why do you think the Police dropped his case ;)

Sadly once again it's the minority that spoil it for the rest

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you honestly think that in 50 years time clubs will still be pulling blinds in executive boxes?

Suppose there might be some middle ground with a dedicated drinking area that is more regulated.

I reckon if drinking was allowed, some people would piss in the plastic glasses and throw them.

Anyone that can get drunk in the space of 90 minutes shouldn't really be allowed to drink in the first place.
It's a piece of piss tbh.

Unless you mean to get drunk purely on the fosters that the club serve up.

Suppose there might be some middle ground with a dedicated drinking area that is more regulated.

I reckon if drinking was allowed, some people would piss in the plastic glasses and throw them.
Happens anyway with some away fans and that tbh.

Imagine all the fuckers up and down during the game going for a pint never mind 5 mins before HT.
There'd be people milling round the stadium all game

Should just change the law so those in corporate can drink whilst watching the match. I wouldn't trust the riff raff mind.
According to those on here, people would just end up covered in Shiraz when we score and start sneaking a G n' T through the main reception in their socks.

Number of signatures '9'.

This is going to take a while. :lol:
45. Nearly there!

Last edited:
It's the British approach to drink that needs to change, not the law.

Please explain how. Considering the Sporting Events Act only applies to England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own Sporting laws so I'm intrigued how the British police are to blame.

Seriously if you're gonna try make a point, atleast know the definition of the law ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back