dumb and dumber 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fabulous Falcao

Just been to see this guys and gals.
Decent flick, not a patch on the first like.
Halfway through the film I needed to snap one off and took about 40mins in the toilet, so missed a large chunk. Will watch again though.

6/10

Halfway through the film I needed to snap one off and took about 40mins in the toilet, so missed a large chunk. Will watch again though.

6/10

Seen the entire thing 8/10

First bit was a gag

Take him mate he should get in

I've seen it anyway

Here's my review

It takes a lot of intelligence and wit to make a truly memorable comedy about deeply stupid people. At their best, the Farrelly brothers do it better than anyone. They are past masters of mindlessness and bad taste.

Their humour is never particularly innocent - they trade in scatology and sexual innuendo - and yet it evokes an old tradition of US movie slapstick that stretches back to Jerry Lewis, The Three Stooges (an influence they acknowledged in their last movie) and beyond that to Mack Sennett comedies of the silent era. Their films very rarely get good reviews. They’re just too goofy and abrasive for the tastes of most critics.

Sadly, Dumb And Dumber To isn't vintage Farrelly fare. It has an undercurrent of nastiness. There is a miasmatic whiff here that isn’t just to do with the fact that its lead characters Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey) and Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels) think it the height of hilarity to fart in a car that has its windows closed. Some of the humour is misogynistic (ill-advised jokes about menstruating teenagers or lustful grannies with diamonds hidden in their private parts.) Some of the plotting makes no sense whatsoever. The final reel drama hinges on a case of mistaken identity which pre-supposes every other character is just as dumb as Lloyd and Harry. The film is often deliberately revolting in its visual gags. (The sight of Jim Carrey’s Lloyd eating a hotdog whole through his mustard smeared mouth or having his nappy changed by Harry will be enough to put most audiences off their popcorn.)

I've seen it anyway

Here's my review

It takes a lot of intelligence and wit to make a truly memorable comedy about deeply stupid people. At their best, the Farrelly brothers do it better than anyone. They are past masters of mindlessness and bad taste.

Their humour is never particularly innocent - they trade in scatology and sexual innuendo - and yet it evokes an old tradition of US movie slapstick that stretches back to Jerry Lewis, The Three Stooges (an influence they acknowledged in their last movie) and beyond that to Mack Sennett comedies of the silent era. Their films very rarely get good reviews. They’re just too goofy and abrasive for the tastes of most critics.

Sadly, Dumb And Dumber To isn't vintage Farrelly fare. It has an undercurrent of nastiness. There is a miasmatic whiff here that isn’t just to do with the fact that its lead characters Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey) and Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels) think it the height of hilarity to fart in a car that has its windows closed. Some of the humour is misogynistic (ill-advised jokes about menstruating teenagers or lustful grannies with diamonds hidden in their private parts.) Some of the plotting makes no sense whatsoever. The final reel drama hinges on a case of mistaken identity which pre-supposes every other character is just as dumb as Lloyd and Harry. The film is often deliberately revolting in its visual gags. (The sight of Jim Carrey’s Lloyd eating a hotdog whole through his mustard smeared mouth or having his nappy changed by Harry will be enough to put most audiences off their popcorn.)
Good analysis. Tbf the first one was going to be near impossible to be bettered

6/10
40 Minutes?! Did your mate Lloyd force you to drink a large cup of unusual tasting tea before you left the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back