Dusseldorf Christmas Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from three years of working in shops it narks me something rotten seeing Christmas displays being delivered in August and going up in September!

Work in marketing in shops so I know how you feel. Selection boxes and stuff will be going out first week in September where the back to school stuff is now :neutral:

Anyone been? Wife (no) wants to go to a Christmas market abroad and that seems to be the best for flights as we want to fly direct from Newcastle.

Any other recommendations? Cheers

By the way we'll be taking a 6 month old bairn too!
Ive been to the Koln one (which is like 30 mins train away) and it was very good

Anyone been? Wife (no) wants to go to a Christmas market abroad and that seems to be the best for flights as we want to fly direct from Newcastle.

Nurenburg is supposed to be really good been meaning to go for ages.Only one I've been abroad to was Bruges and it was crap.

Work in marketing in shops so I know how you feel. Selection boxes and stuff will be going out first week in September where the back to school stuff is now :neutral:

Crazy. I can understand retailers having Christmas plans ready for August but I don't get why they deploy them in September. Any insight on that? Nobody and I mean nobody needs to be shopping Boots' 3 for 2 in September.

Crazy. I can understand retailers having Christmas plans ready for August but I don't get why they deploy them in September. Any insight on that? Nobody and I mean nobody needs to be shopping Boots' 3 for 2 in September.

No idea why they go out so early. Probably to make money.

I'm guilty of buying odds and ends when I'm doing regular grocery shopping like big tubes of Smarties, chocolate oranges and stuff in the build up and stashing them away. Then I get them all out a few days before Christmas and think why the hell did I buy all of these? :oops::lol:

Yeah, its awesome. I lived in Monchengladbach for a few years and went to Dusseldorf market a few times. The market is ok and it really gives a Christmas feel. Drinking wine from a boot is always good.
The only thing I can recommend is an Italian restaurant near the river called Marco Polos ( if its even still there)

Loads of bairns about during the day but the best time is definitely the evening (gets packed like but kids' rides are on until late). Liked Cologne, Bielefeld and Duesseldorf but the best for me was Hamburg. That was my first one like so may have swayed my judgement a bit.

Went a few years ago mate. Really good. Lots happening. Local brew is a nice drop too.

Been looking for something similar myself, going Friday till Sunday.
Not a lot of direct flight options from Ponteland or Durham Tees though so considering Copenhagen or Amsterdam.
Bit closer to home, has anyone been to Edinburgh over the festive period?

The one in Strasbourg is fantastic!

I've never been to Nuremberg but it's suppose to be THE christmas market here in Germany.
Ghent is suppose to be really good as well

I've been before and its alright. Not a patch on Dortmund or Cologne though. Still its worth basing yourself in Dusseldorf as Cologne is only 30min by train and Dortmund 60min so you could easily go to all three. You also have the added bonus of the nightlife in Dusseldorf. I'll be there first weekend in December this year.

You'll be best off looking to fly from outside the NE as flights with Lufthansa from Sunderland North to Dusseldorf in December are over £200pp at the moment. As Parkmaverick says Jet2 from Leeds/Bradford are probably your best bet. Just had a look and its just short of £300 for 2 people for the first weekend in December.

Went to Maastricht Xmas market a few years ago enjoyed it.

Did Dusseldorf a few years ago - enjoyed, plenty to see and plenty of markets dotted around the city. Going to Berlin in Dec for their markets - not been there for a good 30 years and as the wife is coming will have to miss Mon Cheries.

I've been before and its alright. Not a patch on Dortmund or Cologne though. Still its worth basing yourself in Dusseldorf as Cologne is only 30min by train and Dortmund 60min so you could easily go to all three. You also have the added bonus of the nightlife in Dusseldorf. I'll be there first weekend in December this year.

You'll be best off looking to fly from outside the NE as flights with Lufthansa from Sunderland North to Dusseldorf in December are over £200pp at the moment. As Parkmaverick says Jet2 from Leeds/Bradford are probably your best bet. Just had a look and its just short of £300 for 2 people for the first weekend in December.
Can get flights for 2 to Dusseldorf and 3 nights in the Hotel Indigo for less than £500.

Cheers for all the advice by the way lads-looking forward to it like!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back