Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Switched to Octopus about 4 weeks ago, via a referral with a £50 intro credit. Last Friday I applied to switch onto their daily Tracker Tariff. Email from them saying will take up to two weeks, checked both my online account and the tariff section within the account tab of the ihd and the Tracker was up and running almost immediately. Hopefully it performs like the last 14 months or so, in which case we could save about £700 over a year. During the past month the daily prices on the Tracker have ranged between 10p - 19p per kwh for Electric and 3p - 4.5p for gas.

I am having fun taking on the energy companies billing systems at the moment.

I took Octopus to the Ombudsman and he has just ruled in my favour.

Now it looks like British Gas are next on the list for my dad's account.

He had been having issues with them refusing to accept the actual meter reading because it was lower than their estimate - this has gone on for a long time and the estimates getting wilder and wilder.

I have now taken this up - they still refused to accept the actual meter reading despite photos etc - eventually I raised a formal complaint and after quite a bit more too and fro, they finally accepted the correct reading - but having revised this down massively, they said it was all sorted ....only the new statement just changes the meter reading, but doesn't actually apply any credit for that. I pointed this out to them and they offered £50 compensation but assured me the bill was correct (it clearly isn't). Obviously I refused this and showed them the correct workings for standing charges and Energy used (or in this case not used) and also the direct debit payments made on the account...ie what the bill should be doing.

Their latest response is that the figures are worked out by the billing system and they can't do anything about it, but they will give £150 compensation and that is their final offer.

Clearly the billing system is wrong, but they just won't admit this - presumably because that opens the floodgates to loads of people claiming against them. I am begining to wonder if their new billing system was written by the same people who created Horizon.
Their all at it, in my case Scottish Power, over a year to sort through ombudsman, even they called out SP as thieving bastards (In a polite manor), got over a grand back in credit. Now I get bombarded by them to go back on to Direct Debit, they can do one, I'll pay for what I use, no more, or less.

Back