English kids and football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick up for the youth. I don't think it's changed that much, they still like their kick abouts from what I can tell.

Aye, this is very true.

And memories for me also, any hole/ gap would do as a goal in our house :) Fantastic days - my muthas still got a decorative plate on display that has been mildy chipped & repaired by three generations of us :)
Ha ha! my mams still got a hideous maroon vase that is nowedays made up mostly of glue from all the times it got smashed!

Hardly ever see kids kicking a ball around in the street these days like.

Doesn't help that a lot of public fields have been sold off and schools are locked shut when they're not open these days.

Don't get back to England very often and last few times has just been to central london which isnt a good example. Wondering if young kids still play football in the streets and fields as much as when I was a kid in the 60s.

It was all we basically did. At school as well - break times were all about having a game.

I'd guess there is much less these days with other attractions (kids around here have trouble even crossing the street cos they have their faces stuck in their smartphones). Started wondering about it cos I dont see much young talent coming through in the premier league that is home grown.
Very, very rare that I see kids on my estate playing football in the street. TBF there are too many cars now to do what we used to do in the good old days. It mainly seems to be organised football on astro turf.

1,000's of kids play youth football every weekend.

This. There are more kids playing organised football than ever before. Of my middle lads class over 50% will be playing tomorrow morning. True, there is no street football, doors etc. but it is not all doom and gloom.

This is right to a point.

At the young ages when parents take them there are lots of kids playing. But just have a look at how the number of leagues decrease as the kids get older!!!!!
It's a big problem IMO

But at under 7 and 8 it is 5v5, then 7v7 at U9 and U10 then it increases playing 9 v 9 at U11. It is far easier to get a 5 aside team than it is a 9 aside team ,so I imagine the number of teams at U11 is half that at U7.

Last edited by a moderator:
No space in the streets.
Break times at school - football is often banned in the playground as the football might hurt somebody. :rolleyes:
Still popular at Saturday Clubs etc though.
But you pass any playing field or rec. and they are usually empty
Seaburn camp on a Saturday was full sat morn afternoon, sunday morn and afternoon now empty no pitches or changing rooms
Even a few goals stuck up by the council would encourage and get kids playing

This. There are more kids playing organised football than ever before. Of my middle lads class over 50% will be playing tomorrow morning. True, there is no street football, doors etc. but it is not all doom and gloom.

The point I was making was more at ages 15-17 the attrition rate is huge. So many good players would rather get pissed etc than play football at that age, really sad !

But at under 7 and 8 it is 5v5, then 7v7 at U9 and U10 then it increases playing 9 v 9 at U11. It is far easier to get a 5 aside team than it is a 9 aside team ,so I imagine the number of teams at U11 is half that at U7.
See above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back