F1 2024

Achieved absolutely nothing of note in F1 apart from one pole position in Brazil 14 years ago.
a modern day andrea de cesaris
Perhaps Horner's power games were repeating Frank and Patrick in 1995-96. "Decisions made over lunch for me to learn about later".
i got the impression from his book that they didnt truly appreciate what he did.

Last edited:
There's a lot more to come out of this and the reasons behind it (some of which may be hidden behind an NDA, Christian likes NDAs).

Perhaps he didn't want to be shuffled off to some stuffy road car vanity project (again).

Perhaps he felt like if there was an effective salary cap, he shouldn't be the one to make way.

Perhaps Horner's power games were repeating Frank and Patrick in 1995-96. "Decisions made over lunch for me to learn about later".

Maybe he can't really add to his reputation or achievements by just making more of the same.

Maybe he's just as bored as we are, and wants a change.

Maybe he just gets creeped out by the gremlin in charge.
Maybe he just want's a free Fezzah...

I've always doubted how much influence just one guy truly has in terms of designing such an immensely complicated piece of engineering. Surely it's as much to do with the calibre of the hundreds of other engineers around him as much as it Newey himself? Not doubting at all that he's brilliant at what he does, but he ain't doing it all himself.
I agree with you, however when you look back at his career its fair to say that success follows him so he certainly has influence in some form - although his reputation is certainly greatly enhanced over his rival designers. regardless, he is without a doubt the greatest f1 car designer there has ever been... all i would add, i recall two people who were meant to be his understudy's who would go on to greater things - at williams in the 90s he worked with Eghbal Hamidy (had to google him) who didnt go on to change the world... whilst at mclaren he had Peter Prodromou with him, the latter probably did better but neither could be said to have changed the face of f1 in their own rights... prodromou is back at mclaren the last i heard...

its not just the drivers who are into self promotion, i've no doubt newey hasn't done a bit of self-promotion himself. but when you've been responsible for fw14b & rb19 you can let everyone else promote your abilities...

Newey has been the leader of the team for years - giving people his insights so that they make great decisions. And its worked out great.

This does not mean that if you parachute him into a new team, the outcomes will be the same. Different cultures can cause things to simply fail.

I don't buy that.

I've always doubted how much influence just one guy truly has in terms of designing such an immensely complicated piece of engineering. Surely it's as much to do with the calibre of the hundreds of other engineers around him as much as it Newey himself? Not doubting at all that he's brilliant at what he does, but he ain't doing it all himself.

I think the key thing here for the next year and a bit leading up to the new regs in 2026 will be who else from the Red Bull technical team follows him out of the door to wherever he ends up.

People are talking as if Red Bull are toast just because Newey is leaving, but if they keep a hold of all/most of the rest of the top-level designers it might not have anywhere near as much negative impact as some people think.
Time will tell, though why do the "top level designers" at other teams get nowhere near the RB?
The difference over the last couple of seasons has been him.

Just been pointed out that Newey doesn't even work for Red Bull. They hire his company and that company provides un-named resources to perform specific tasks.

Surely there's no way they can enforce a no-compete especially if he decides to work in another country. And possibly even under a similar arrangement where a new company is hired by, say Ferrari, and that company provides an un-named resource to perform specific tasks.

And as an extra layer on the onion skin, if this new company happens to be incorporated in the USA, they recently banned no-compete clauses entirely iirc :)

Just been pointed out that Newey doesn't even work for Red Bull. They hire his company and that company provides un-named resources to perform specific tasks.

Surely there's no way they can enforce a no-compete especially if he decides to work in another country. And possibly even under a similar arrangement where a new company is hired by, say Ferrari, and that company provides an un-named resource to perform specific tasks.

And as an extra layer on the onion skin, if this new company happens to be incorporated in the USA, they recently banned no-compete clauses entirely iirc :)
Excellent news go Adrian

You aerodynamic genius

Isn’t this going to be controversial. Remember Newey was not part of the cost breach from RBR because he was a contractor (yep a clever way of getting round the regulations) is they now say he can’t leave then surely he’s contracted directly to RBR

"
After Adrian Newey, Red Bull is also in danger of losing Max Verstappen. Negotiations with Mercedes are scheduled.

The Miami GP the Sunday after next will not go down in the annals of Formula 1 history for its show effects. F1-Insider.com has learnt that the glitzy GP, which will be broadcast in Europe at 10 p.m., could also be the last race in which Red Bull team boss Christian Horner (50), who has been heavily criticised for alleged sexual harassment of a female employee, can be sure of keeping his Dutch superstar Max Verstappen (26) in the team until the end of 2028.

Background: In the 14 days following the event in Florida and the European season opener in Imola, concrete negotiations are to take place between Mercedes and the Verstappen team - consisting of the driver himself, his father Jos and manager Raymond Vermeulen. As F1-Insider.com has learnt, Mercedes F1 Team shareholders Toto Wolff, Group CEO Ola Källenius and Sir James Ratcliffe (Ineos) want to meet with the Verstappen clan.

The Dutchman will then decide whether he wants to switch to Mercedes next year. This is made possible by an exit clause in his contract, which states that if his mentor and confidant Helmut Marko (Red Bull motorsport consultant) is no longer on board, the victorious Dutchman can leave the Red Bull ship early. Marko, that's for sure, will not stand in Verstappen's way if necessary.

However, Verstappen first wants to see how serious Mercedes is in the talks; how much the automotive group, which is currently weakening in Formula 1, is prepared to make concessions to Verstappen. The three-time world champion is not just interested in money. Much more important for him, as F1-Insider.com has learnt: he wants a guarantee that the Silver Arrow will be better in 2025 than this season. That's why he wants Mercedes to take over important technicians from Red Bull alongside him."

Back